There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Thread

Anyone can be accurate averaging 3 yards per throw.

Smith has only 74 passing attempts.

In comparison, Rogers has a 70% accuracy, 103 attempts passing, 400 more yards then smith, and 6 more tds and only 1 int.

A lot of people forgot what a good QB looks like.

Even Hasselbeck, on a new team with no stars (CJ playing like crap, Britt hurt, No VD), is throwing up a better completion %. He also has thrown the ball 112 times for 400 more yards then Smith and 3 more TDs.

This dude is old, on a new team, star players are depleted, and he is in a brand new system for him, and is playing well.

Where is Smith? Still basking in his excuses....
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Oct 2, 2011 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by backontop:
You want him to stop throwing INT but ever think that our WR's do not get separation down field? That has been a big problem with them the past few seasons you know.


Cam Newton has every excuse? Really? He has a better OLine, 2 solid RB's, 2 Solid TE's, a pro bowl WR. Please explain to me what this magical IT factor is? The only thing that Cam Newton has right now that Alex Smith doesn't have is a ton of INT's and a losing record. While you call them excuses everyone who knows anything about football calls them legitimate reasons for Alex Smith's delayed development. Alex Smith has shown progression in his development every season even though he has been hindered by inadequate coaching and OC's. I guess seems how yardage is now the new IT stat I guess that means that Cam Newton is going to be the MVP of the SB. Oh that's right you have to actually win those games or else all those yards are worthless. I will take less than 200 yards and a W over 400 yards and a loss any day. Oh one more thing, each week the offense gets opened up more, and more of the WCO is being implemented into the game plans each week. Huh if only Harbaugh had told us something like this was going to happen, oh wait he did. It's funny that everyone can recognize this but the haters.

Go ahead bro, you win. Alex Smith > Cam Newton . Try making that argument to anyone other than a 49er fan .

Except he's not really making that argument. You're missing his larger point.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Anyone can be accurate averaging 3 yards per throw.

Smith has only 74 passing attempts.

In comparison, Rogers has a 70% accuracy, 103 attempts passing, 400 more yards then smith, and 6 more tds and only 1 int.

A lot of people forgot what a good QB looks like.

Even Hasselbeck, on a new team with no stars (CJ playing like crap, Britt hurt, No VD), is throwing up a better completion %. He also has thrown the ball 112 times for 400 more yards then Smith and 3 more TDs.

This dude is old, on a new team, star players are depleted, and he is in a brand new system for him, and is playing well.

Where is Smith? Still basking in his excuses....


This...no haterisms or homerisms...all facts....
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Dude, Alex Smith has terrific mobility for a quarterback. He used to use it a lot in 2006, remember? When you are trouble finding an open receiver, you sprint your ass out of that pocket and you create an opportunity for them. Rodgers does it well, Brees does it well, Big Ben does it really really well. You move, and the defense moves, and an opportunity will present itself down field if you are looking!

You can't blame all of Alex's mistakes on the WR corps these last six years. Have they sucked too? Hell yes. Guess who those sucky receivers are looking to to make a play though? Definitely not themselves.


You mean like the TD/interferecne throw to Gore at the goal line? Smith does this really well when he is given a chance but the Eagles DLine is very quick and may not let him out of the pocket. If the OLine can block for three seconds he will do well, if not...?

Smith has trust with Edwards who goes up for the ball and commands respect but name another receiver who does that consistently. Crabtree did it in college but since he has been in the NFL? Not so much. Ginn? Not at all. Morgan did but seems to have regressed the past two years. Don't know if he isn't quick enough or what the problem is, which saddens me because I really like his toughness.

Rogers has receivers who never give up and know what to do when the play breaks down. Edwards is the only 9er receiver with that kind of experience and feel for the game. And Smith needs to get better at this as well. He needs to decide when to take a chance rather than play conservatively...though being first in the NFL in turnover ratio is a good thing.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by backontop:
You want him to stop throwing INT but ever think that our WR's do not get separation down field? That has been a big problem with them the past few seasons you know.


Cam Newton has every excuse? Really? He has a better OLine, 2 solid RB's, 2 Solid TE's, a pro bowl WR. Please explain to me what this magical IT factor is? The only thing that Cam Newton has right now that Alex Smith doesn't have is a ton of INT's and a losing record. While you call them excuses everyone who knows anything about football calls them legitimate reasons for Alex Smith's delayed development. Alex Smith has shown progression in his development every season even though he has been hindered by inadequate coaching and OC's. I guess seems how yardage is now the new IT stat I guess that means that Cam Newton is going to be the MVP of the SB. Oh that's right you have to actually win those games or else all those yards are worthless. I will take less than 200 yards and a W over 400 yards and a loss any day. Oh one more thing, each week the offense gets opened up more, and more of the WCO is being implemented into the game plans each week. Huh if only Harbaugh had told us something like this was going to happen, oh wait he did. It's funny that everyone can recognize this but the haters.

Go ahead bro, you win. Alex Smith > Cam Newton . Try making that argument to anyone other than a 49er fan .

Except he's not really making that argument. You're missing his larger point.

C'mon Lambda...

Originally posted by backontop:
Does not compute? Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton and the 49ers have a better record thus far.


Alex Smith>>>Cam Newton

Anyway, all I see is a laundry list of excuses for why Alex Smith sucks yet Cam Newton (who just went to a team that drafted 1st overall) is afforded none of that. Of course they're a superbowl quality team that just somehow ended up with the 1st pick, lol.

You know what, screw this! IT'S GAMEDAY! GO 49ERS!!
Alex is Trent Dilfer. He is not John Elway. He is a system quarterback. Elway and Montana and Young and Favre and Staubah and ... Differ and Aikman and others were system quarterbacks. Alex could end up being a very good system quarterback once he has a system to learn and time to practice it. I do not think Smith will be great until he has great players around him and coaches that know how to use all of the pieces well.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Anyone can be accurate averaging 3 yards per throw.

Smith has only 74 passing attempts.

In comparison, Rogers has a 70% accuracy, 103 attempts passing, 400 more yards then smith, and 6 more tds and only 1 int.

A lot of people forgot what a good QB looks like.

Even Hasselbeck, on a new team with no stars (CJ playing like crap, Britt hurt, No VD), is throwing up a better completion %. He also has thrown the ball 112 times for 400 more yards then Smith and 3 more TDs.

This dude is old, on a new team, star players are depleted, and he is in a brand new system for him, and is playing well.

Where is Smith? Still basking in his excuses....

LOL, I remember when people in the offseason tried to convince us that Alex Smith > Matt Hasselbeck because of their QB rating from last year, lol.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by backontop:
You want him to stop throwing INT but ever think that our WR's do not get separation down field? That has been a big problem with them the past few seasons you know.


Cam Newton has every excuse? Really? He has a better OLine, 2 solid RB's, 2 Solid TE's, a pro bowl WR. Please explain to me what this magical IT factor is? The only thing that Cam Newton has right now that Alex Smith doesn't have is a ton of INT's and a losing record. While you call them excuses everyone who knows anything about football calls them legitimate reasons for Alex Smith's delayed development. Alex Smith has shown progression in his development every season even though he has been hindered by inadequate coaching and OC's. I guess seems how yardage is now the new IT stat I guess that means that Cam Newton is going to be the MVP of the SB. Oh that's right you have to actually win those games or else all those yards are worthless. I will take less than 200 yards and a W over 400 yards and a loss any day. Oh one more thing, each week the offense gets opened up more, and more of the WCO is being implemented into the game plans each week. Huh if only Harbaugh had told us something like this was going to happen, oh wait he did. It's funny that everyone can recognize this but the haters.

Go ahead bro, you win. Alex Smith > Cam Newton . Try making that argument to anyone other than a 49er fan .

Except he's not really making that argument. You're missing his larger point.

C'mon Lambda...

Originally posted by backontop:
Does not compute? Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton and the 49ers have a better record thus far.


Alex Smith>>>Cam Newton

Anyway, all I see is a laundry list of excuses for why Alex Smith sucks yet Cam Newton (who just went to a team that drafted 1st overall) is afforded none of that. Of course they're a superbowl quality team that just somehow ended up with the 1st pick, lol.

You know what, screw this! IT'S GAMEDAY! GO 49ERS!!

FAir enough. I just think his point was we have 2 wins to their 1 win and he'd rather have that.

I don't think anyone would say Alex is more talented than Cam. Cam Newton maybe the most talented QB to come out in the last 10 years.

I do agree..."excuses" are over for Alex. So far he's been ok and we are 2-1. No implosions like last year and he's making plays when they count.

Lets see what happens. Go 49ers.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 76
Originally posted by backontop:
Does not compute? Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton and the 49ers have a better record thus far.


Alex Smith>>>Cam Newton

You might be the only person who believes this, this is also pretty sad comparing a rookie to a seven year nfl qb.
Who gives a s**t about Newton. He is a flash in the pan I doubt he is going to amount too much. I think some of these guys here are so impressed with him thowing over 400 yards a couple of times and lose. A loss is a loss. Thats what the haters want someone who throw for all those yards and lose. Makes sense eh. I personally want to win and right now we are winning. Oh yes the IT factor is showing its face with Newton two losses and many interceptions. Alex is not a great QB but right now he is getting the job done and thats all that matters.
Who gives a s**t about Newton. He is a flash in the pan I doubt he is going to amount too much. I think some of these guys here are so impressed with him thowing over 400 yards a couple of times and lose. A loss is a loss. Thats what the haters want someone who throw for all those yards and lose. Makes sense eh. I personally want to win and right now we are winning. Oh yes the IT factor is showing its face with Newton two losses and many interceptions. Alex is not a great QB but right now he is getting the job done and thats all that matters.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
LOLOLOL

Alex Smith has looked better than Cam Newton? First of all, no. Second of all, like I said, you realize you're comparing him to the 1st overall pick right?

Cam Newton has every excuse in the world to suck right now, but he doesn't. Why? Because he has IT. That thing Alex Smith will never have.

Alex Smith is afforded every excuse in the book in year 7 (LOL) of his career and yet Cam can't even get credit for throwing for 900 yards in his first 2 games on a s**t squad.

And SanDiego, 430 yards and a loss IS BETTER than 125 and a win for the Panthers/Newton. They're building for the future. They know they have a star in the making with Cam Newton. They'd gladly have him play lights out and lose right now than him look like s**t and win a few meaningless games.

If this forum was the WWE, this post would be a body slam from the top ropes....
Originally posted by Kense:
You might be the only person who believes this, this is also pretty sad comparing a rookie to a seven year nfl qb.


No, he's not the only one. A rookie is a rookie, no matter how much talent he has. That said I'm extremely impressed by Cam as a rookie. If he gets the proper coaching he will be special. Needs to cut down on Ints.

Depending on your set of priorities--turn overs, wins, yardage, % completion--an argument can be made for either. I go with wins and turn over ratio because that leads to wins.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
But he didn't have 430 yards, 3 picks and lose the game like Cam Newton.....

Are you supporting smith now?
Easy to be accurate if all your gonna throw are check down passes.