LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Alex Smith Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Alex in past years has thrown INTs when we most needed him to be clutch. This year, he has avoided them by throwing high % dump-offs and check-downs that the defense lets happen in front of them. However, what is significant is that he didn't throw an INT in the 2nd half of the Eagles game, when he played lights out. THAT's what's important. The one pic he did throw was in a game we lost and that probably made a difference, because it was so close. We need him to not throw pics when we need him to be clutch. He passed a test last week that he couldn't pass in week 2. I'm hoping the positive trend continues.

Alex Smith ranks 16th in average yards per pass attempt at 7.4 with #1 being Tom Brady at 9.5. While he hasn't been lighting it up with yards (because I know how that is the important stat for you) he is just taking what the defense gives him within the plays that are being called. He showed last week against the Eagles that he indeed isn't afraid to air it out and let the ball fly. Hopefully now everyone will stop saying that he is scared to throw the ball downfield and realize that he is playing within the plays that are being called.
Originally posted by backontop:
Alex Smith ranks 16th in average yards per pass attempt at 7.4 with #1 being Tom Brady at 9.5. While he hasn't been lighting it up with yards (because I know how that is the important stat for you) he is just taking what the defense gives him within the plays that are being called. He showed last week against the Eagles that he indeed isn't afraid to air it out and let the ball fly. Hopefully now everyone will stop saying that he is scared to throw the ball downfield and realize that he is playing within the plays that are being called.

Joe was 7.3 in '81

NOT SAYING THAT ALEX IS JOE
I'm becoming increasingly confidence we are going to see a great season from Alex, both statistically and in the win column. ("great" statistics being relative to Smith's own history and our offense, of course.)
Originally posted by GuessWhosOn3rd:
Didnt Brady have 4 picks last year?

If smith goes at this rate, he'll be around 4 picks on the year, so its not record-breaking

I don't care if it's record-breaking or not, 4 picks in a seaon would be a phenominal acomplishment! I mean you're comparing it to what TOM BRADY did last year - one of the best QB's the NFL has ever seen.
I honestly thought he would throw 2-3 picks against the Eagles. He's done it before and I figured he'd DEFINITELY do it again against their 100 mil secondary. If he can avoid picks against the Eagles then he should be good the rest of the way. Not saying he'll never throw another pick but he's more careful (to a fault?) with the ball.

I see some multi-pick games though:

vs Ravens
vs Steelers
vs Lions? (if the pass rush becomes too much he may force throws).

Sprinkle an occasional dumb throw here and there and you could see a 19 TD 12 INT-ish season.

Now all that said...SINCE the Eagles game LAST year he's thrown..12 TDs and 2 INT so...is this a "trend?" We've all been crying for consistency...well...this seems consistent to me in a way.

Either way...we'll see. There are still match ups that can create problems. And remember...he started the first quarter of 2006 with 1 INT then ended up with 16 picks in 12 or 13 games (can't remember exactly).
Philly game was definitely a legit test. That team can cover and rush the passer.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

If smith goes at this rate, he'll be around 4 picks on the year, so its not record-breaking

I don't care if it's record-breaking or not, 4 picks in a seaon would be a phenominal acomplishment! I mean you're comparing it to what TOM BRADY did last year - one of the best QB's the NFL has ever seen.

Josh Freeman had 25 TD's and only 6 INTS last year
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by RDB4216:

4<6

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

And Joe Montana never played a full season where he threw less than 10.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by sacniner:
He is playing smart... that's why I find it comical when he gets criticized for "dumping it off." Better than TOs and forcing it.... Also, our defense is looking trustworthy which gives even more reason to not force it.

I think it's more a dig at the people who made fun of Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, etc... For "dumping it off". Now that the QB that they root for is doing it and doing it well, it's the best thing since sliced bread.

WTF? I never made fun of Shaun for dumping it off, he completed a lot of intermediate throws. Troy's problem was he went Rex Grossman way too much and had horrible accuracy, dude didn't dump it off ENOUGH. He went looking for a deep reciever almost every play.

this thread is a jinx if i've ever heard of one
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
No, roses GROW in doo doo

lol

Like mushrooms :)

Joe's stats from the 1981 Super Bowl Year

16 Joe Montana* 25 QB 16 16 16-3-0 311 488 63.7 3565 19 3.9 12 2.5 78 7.3 7.0 11.5 222.8 88.4 26 193 6.6 6.2 5.1

19 TDs, 12 Ints, 3565 Yards. 88.4 Rating. Average YPA 7.3, Average YPG 222.8

63.7 Completion Percentage

Of course you have to take that in context, passer ratings have blown up since then. In 1981 88.4 was good enough for 4'th. Now it's middle of the pack.
Alex in past years has thrown INTs when we most needed him to be clutch. This year, he has avoided them by throwing high % dump-offs and check-downs that the defense lets happen in front of them. However, what is significant is that he didn't throw an INT in the 2nd half of the Eagles game, when he played lights out. THAT's what's important. The one pic he did throw was in a game we lost and that probably made a difference, because it was so close. We need him to not throw pics when we need him to be clutch. He passed a test last week that he couldn't pass in week 2. I'm hoping the positive trend continues.

So you are saying he should probably play all 16 games and never throw a pick and never lose even 1 game?.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

So you are saying he should probably play all 16 games and never throw a pick and never lose even 1 game?.....

He's also blaming the loss to Dallas on Alex Smith instead of the Defense. I guess Alex should have jumped on the field and covered the Dallas receivers too.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's also blaming the loss to Dallas on Alex Smith instead of the Defense. I guess Alex should have jumped on the field and covered the Dallas receivers too.

Our secondary got torched (surprise, surprise) and that's why we lost to Dallas. If our secondary could cover anybody we would be 4 - 0.
Share 49ersWebzone