LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Alex Smith has 99 yards passing, no int's, no fumbles, 1 rush TD, and a WIN!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith has 99 yards passing, no int's, no fumbles, 1 rush TD, and a WIN!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
I love Kaep and was very excited when we drafted him. I really do think he's the future of this team. That being said, he's not ready yet. You can talk bad about preseason and say it's meaningless (which is true in the W-L aspect of it) but you could tell he wasn't ready for the NFL just yet. He was staring down his receivers heavily, not going through his progressions well enough, had a tendency to run when he didn't need to, no pocket presence, etc etc. He needs the year at least to figure everything out. He WILL be good, but throwing him into games during his rookie year could have an Alex Smith effect on him.

Smith is playing really good right now. Especially compared to how he was, but also when looked at on it's own. He's getting us into scoring positions, we're winning games, he's going through his progressions, he's hitting receivers, he's making tough throws, he's becoming a playmaker when the play gets botched (the messed up snap that he threw perfectly into the endzone) he's getting better. There's no reason to take him out now, or at all this year. He hasn't shown any reasons for it.

Exactly, Kaepernick has potential and could pan out but he's not ready yet. Alex is not playing badly, and definitely not badly enough to trash the season by throwing in a rookie who will make a lot of mistakes. I just don't get it, for the first time in years we have a great chance to win our division and we want to throw it away to get a rookie who's not ready some playing time? Just because we don't like Alex Smith? That is just not smart IMO.

Yes.

See, to me you guys saying that Smith will maintain this so-called "high" level of play over the course of the season sounds just as ludicrous as Kap turning out to be a decent NFL QB to you guys. We're on opposite sides of the spectrum, but I think we've seen enough of Alex over the course of six years to write him off.

Kap on the other hand, we have no history on. Going off of preseason film and a few practices tells you nothing.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
I love Kaep and was very excited when we drafted him. I really do think he's the future of this team. That being said, he's not ready yet. You can talk bad about preseason and say it's meaningless (which is true in the W-L aspect of it) but you could tell he wasn't ready for the NFL just yet. He was staring down his receivers heavily, not going through his progressions well enough, had a tendency to run when he didn't need to, no pocket presence, etc etc. He needs the year at least to figure everything out. He WILL be good, but throwing him into games during his rookie year could have an Alex Smith effect on him.

Smith is playing really good right now. Especially compared to how he was, but also when looked at on it's own. He's getting us into scoring positions, we're winning games, he's going through his progressions, he's hitting receivers, he's making tough throws, he's becoming a playmaker when the play gets botched (the messed up snap that he threw perfectly into the endzone) he's getting better. There's no reason to take him out now, or at all this year. He hasn't shown any reasons for it.

Exactly, Kaepernick has potential and could pan out but he's not ready yet. Alex is not playing badly, and definitely not badly enough to trash the season by throwing in a rookie who will make a lot of mistakes. I just don't get it, for the first time in years we have a great chance to win our division and we want to throw it away to get a rookie who's not ready some playing time? Just because we don't like Alex Smith? That is just not smart IMO.

Yes.

See, to me you guys saying that Smith will maintain this so-called "high" level of play over the course of the season sounds just as ludicrous as Kap turning out to be a decent NFL QB to you guys. We're on opposite sides of the spectrum, but I think we've seen enough of Alex over the course of six years to write him off.

Kap on the other hand, we have no history on. Going off of preseason film and a few practices tells you nothing.

Why can't he maintain it? He shoud be 3 - 0 but our secondary got roasted and lost 1 game. The past means nothing for him. Do you think SingleBrainCell knows even 1% of what it takes for QB development? Harbaugh is a master. That alone can make a QB more comfortable. The players around him are better now IMO. The team as a whole. That can make him better too. And quietly Alex has gotten a little better almost every year to very little notice. That progression has been happening for some time. If we can sit Chilo down and use a back to chip block on Staleys side I think we can have decent O line protection too. And that would help him further. Anthony Davis needs to quit the false starts too.

Yes.

Why can't he maintain it? He shoud be 3 - 0 but our secondary got roasted and lost 1 game. The past means nothing for him. Do you think SingleBrainCell knows even 1% of what it takes for QB development? Harbaugh is a master. That alone can make a QB more comfortable. The players around him are better now IMO. The team as a whole. That can make him better too. And quietly Alex has gotten a little better almost every year to very little notice. That progression has been happening for some time. If we can sit Chilo down and use a back to chip block on Staleys side I think we can have decent O line protection too. And that would help him further. Anthony Davis needs to quit the false starts too.

Hey, more power to ya. I get it, you believe. It's going to take more than a pair of shoddy wins over the 2011 Seahawks and Bengals and a near miss over a very banged-up Dallas team to convince me though.

Yes.

The difference is that so far this season (this is football, the past doesn't matter, if it did the lions would still be s**tty) he hasn't shown a reason to throw him out. None. He's making the plays he has behind one of the worst offensive lines i've seen in years. He puts his body on the line every single play and has come away with 2 victories out of 3 games, while scoring a good amount of points in the third and having our defense collapse to have us lose. You even admit he has looked good and say tat you're using his past to write off his future.

Sadly, we do only have preseason to go off of for Kaep. But I heavily disagree that it shows nothing. It shows how he works in game type situations. You're speaking as if because it's preseason, no one goes out there to play 100% and that couldn't be more wrong. Kaep has a lot of issues he needs to figure out before he's good enough for the NFL, and Harbaugh knows that. If he didn't, and if he was showing more than Smith, he would be playing.

I say you should hold off on writing off Smith and criticizing him until he actually does something this season to get mad at.
SD, you funny man, but I wuv you coz you Niners all the way, every day...........

Yes.

The difference is that so far this season (this is football, the past doesn't matter, if it did the lions would still be s**tty) he hasn't shown a reason to throw him out. None. He's making the plays he has behind one of the worst offensive lines i've seen in years. He puts his body on the line every single play and has come away with 2 victories out of 3 games, while scoring a good amount of points in the third and having our defense collapse to have us lose. You even admit he has looked good and say tat you're using his past to write off his future.

Sadly, we do only have preseason to go off of for Kaep. But I heavily disagree that it shows nothing. It shows how he works in game type situations. You're speaking as if because it's preseason, no one goes out there to play 100% and that couldn't be more wrong. Kaep has a lot of issues he needs to figure out before he's good enough for the NFL, and Harbaugh knows that. If he didn't, and if he was showing more than Smith, he would be playing.

I say you should hold off on writing off Smith and criticizing him until he actually does something this season to get mad at.

The guys who are mad at him are going more off the past. Because this year at least he has played "clean" football at least. And that alone is an improvement. And with a good front 7 and good special teams that can equal some wins.
If he can win 10-12 games with those same numbers, sure, whatever. You know that s**t is going to catch up sooner than later though.

Suppose we win the division and see the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Is that good enough?

I would be delighted. Wonder how many QB's in NFL history have finished dead last in passing and lead their team to a division title though?

Maybe this one will. Our division is terrible. And I don't think he will finish dead last BTW.

You're right. His stats won't count in the top 32 because Kap will be in by week 8.

We go 0 - whatever from then on out if we put him in. Juse clueless pocket presense. No accuracy and wants to run all the time. He's not ready.

See, people keep saying he's no good. I read that all over this board. Based off of what? A little preseason action? Since when does that ever mean anything? I'm not saying he's the next Steve Young, but we'll never really know what he's got until he's tasted some real game action.

And why should we throw our season away for a stupid 2nd round pick? That's dumb as hell IMO. Alex is doing decent right now, we should be 3-0, and we are playing with a crap OLine and an injured RB and still winning. Chill out. All this bench Alex Smith BS, at least wait till he messes up. Kaepernick's not going to do anything this year, maybe ever, and sticking him in there when he has no idea what the hell is going on out there and his mechanics and footwork are still shaky is just going to make that worse. Give him time to learn and sit under a good HC and maybe he will be good one day. But Alex is helping this team win right now.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, feel the heat! Like Z says, and exactly like most people here don't recognize; WE don't know what would happen. We also don't know what will happen if JH opens the play book for Al. Maybe he flails as usual... or maybe the guy (I don't have lot of faith in, to say the least) finally steps up and uses the opened game plan to make a statement for at least..ohh 3-4 games, or plays like the devil the rest o the way, and how would that be?!

Man I would be $hit surprised like a monkey finding a hungry snake in a bunch o bananas!

All good; 2-1 with a beatable Philadelphia team on deck.. LET'S GO D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NINERS!! I JUST WANT WINNERS!! ughhh I mean wins..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Sep 30, 2011 at 3:58 AM ]
If he can win 10-12 games with those same numbers, sure, whatever. You know that s**t is going to catch up sooner than later though.

Suppose we win the division and see the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Is that good enough?

I would be delighted. Wonder how many QB's in NFL history have finished dead last in passing and lead their team to a division title though?

Maybe this one will. Our division is terrible. And I don't think he will finish dead last BTW.

You're right. His stats won't count in the top 32 because Kap will be in by week 8.

We go 0 - whatever from then on out if we put him in. Juse clueless pocket presense. No accuracy and wants to run all the time. He's not ready.

See, people keep saying he's no good. I read that all over this board. Based off of what? A little preseason action? Since when does that ever mean anything? I'm not saying he's the next Steve Young, but we'll never really know what he's got until he's tasted some real game action.

And why should we throw our season away for a stupid 2nd round pick? That's dumb as hell IMO. Alex is doing decent right now, we should be 3-0, and we are playing with a crap OLine and an injured RB and still winning. Chill out. All this bench Alex Smith BS, at least wait till he messes up. Kaepernick's not going to do anything this year, maybe ever, and sticking him in there when he has no idea what the hell is going on out there and his mechanics and footwork are still shaky is just going to make that worse. Give him time to learn and sit under a good HC and maybe he will be good one day. But Alex is helping this team win right now.

Who said anything about making it a full time switch? If the season is lost, then it's pointless anyway, but if it's in the middle of a desperate losing-game situation and the offense needs a spark, why not give it a shot? Kap comes in, gets his reps, and if he fails he fails - back to the bench.

Like I said though, if the 49ers find themselves out of the postseason race early, you bet your ass we'll be seeing lots of him late in the year.

We WON'T though. AZ's defense is trash, Seattle has no QB, and STL's defense is bad(torn up secondary)+schedule is brutal. The Cards and Hawks are both 1-2. We finally have a great shot to win this division, and we should be in it all year. After not making the playoffs for 8 years, I am not throwing that chance away for some stupid 2nd round pick.

If you feel that strongly about Kap, god forbid Alex gets hurt lol

Well yeah I definitely don't want him to get hurt, he's the best QB we have right now by far IMO. If Alex winds up being out for 2-3 weeks at a time we need to dial up McCown, I trust him to manage this team way more than Kaepernick.
Some sad $hit here about dialing up McCowen..... The future is now, get it? If this happens let Kaep play and let the cards fall where they may. For that matter Stolzien (sp) looked pretty darn good against us, yet another option to find out what we need, and what we do not.

JH has to find out who can cut the mustard, who can play with a chip on their shoulder.. stay with the group you have, and play whoever makes it known they can play, have emotion, and buy in totally to what JH is dialing in, in the meetings but can't use now due to players who are not performing.

This BS about not rocking the boat because the Niners finally m-i-g-h-t have a chance at a playoff berth is not a good reason not to find out what this team has in the players on the roster now because it looks clear now, there is a future with Harbaugh and his staff to get things right for the long term. I can live one more year without a playoff appearance for that my brooothers...... Haaa guess I like this thread.. ya whatever....

Give me a break. Really good? I think he's playing OK but NOT really good. He has not caused the team to lose yet which I guess is really good for him.
Originally posted by leebert81:

Give me a break. Really good? I think he's playing OK but NOT really good. He has not caused the team to lose yet which I guess is really good for him.

he's moving the ball, he's putting up scoring drives, he's scoring himself, he's not making mistakes, he's turning other peoples mistakes into gains and he's doing it behind a line that wants him to die.

How is that just "ok" ?

Originally posted by leebert81:

he's moving the ball, he's putting up scoring drives, he's scoring himself, he's not making mistakes, he's turning other peoples mistakes into gains and he's doing it behind a line that wants him to die.

How is that just "ok" ?

Yup.
i'm cool with it, the offense will open up eventually

This
I trust Jim Harbaugh, he had already told us the reason the offense is slow, some of you must have missed it. If the offense is struggling and we are losing, then I will worry. As for now, I see what Harbaugh is doing, and it is working. The only loss we have is to a team most of you guys had us getting blown out by, and we were in that game until breakdowns in the line and secondary cost us the game. Sure Dallas was beat up, but we were missing two of our best dbs and our best receiver, so it equals out.
We wont win against Philly with those numbers.

lol.
Share 49ersWebzone