LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Alex Smith has 99 yards passing, no int's, no fumbles, 1 rush TD, and a WIN!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith has 99 yards passing, no int's, no fumbles, 1 rush TD, and a WIN!

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If he can win 10-12 games with those same numbers, sure, whatever. You know that s**t is going to catch up sooner than later though.

Suppose we win the division and see the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Is that good enough?

I would be delighted. Wonder how many QB's in NFL history have finished dead last in passing and lead their team to a division title though?

Maybe this one will. Our division is terrible. And I don't think he will finish dead last BTW.

You're right. His stats won't count in the top 32 because Kap will be in by week 8.

Originally posted by modninerfan:
If he can win 10-12 games with those same numbers, sure, whatever. You know that s**t is going to catch up sooner than later though.

Suppose we win the division and see the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Is that good enough?

I would be delighted. Wonder how many QB's in NFL history have finished dead last in passing and lead their team to a division title though?

Maybe this one will. Our division is terrible. And I don't think he will finish dead last BTW.

You're right. His stats won't count in the top 32 because Kap will be in by week 8.

Look, I don't hate Alex completely. I recognize the dude was dealt a bad set of cards, but that doesn't change the fact that continuing to roll with him is just going to eventually fail once again. Harbaugh has to realize this by now as well. Let him stay in there a few more games and then get that shiny, golden rookie out there to either save the world or fail once again. Either way, we'll know by the end of the year to prep for the 2012 draft.

We go 0 - whatever from then on out if we put him in. Juse clueless pocket presense. No accuracy and wants to run all the time. He's not ready.

We go 0 - whatever from then on out if we put him in. Juse clueless pocket presense. No accuracy and wants to run all the time. He's not ready.

See, people keep saying he's no good. I read that all over this board. Based off of what? A little preseason action? Since when does that ever mean anything? I'm not saying he's the next Steve Young, but we'll never really know what he's got until he's tasted some real game action.

See, people keep saying he's no good. I read that all over this board. Based off of what? A little preseason action? Since when does that ever mean anything? I'm not saying he's the next Steve Young, but we'll never really know what he's got until he's tasted some real game action.

And why should we throw our season away for a stupid 2nd round pick? That's dumb as hell IMO. Alex is doing decent right now, we should be 3-0, and we are playing with a crap OLine and an injured RB and still winning. Chill out. All this bench Alex Smith BS, at least wait till he messes up. Kaepernick's not going to do anything this year, maybe ever, and sticking him in there when he has no idea what the hell is going on out there and his mechanics and footwork are still shaky is just going to make that worse. Give him time to learn and sit under a good HC and maybe he will be good one day. But Alex is helping this team win right now.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

And why should we throw our season away for a stupid 2nd round pick? That's dumb as hell IMO. Alex is doing decent right now, we should be 3-0, and we are playing with a crap OLine and an injured RB and still winning. Chill out. All this bench Alex Smith BS, at least wait till he messes up. Kaepernick's not going to do anything this year, maybe ever, and sticking him in there when he has no idea what the hell is going on out there and his mechanics and footwork are still shaky is just going to make that worse. Give him time to learn and sit under a good HC and maybe he will be good one day. But Alex is helping this team win right now.

Who said anything about making it a full time switch? If the season is lost, then it's pointless anyway, but if it's in the middle of a desperate losing-game situation and the offense needs a spark, why not give it a shot? Kap comes in, gets his reps, and if he fails he fails - back to the bench.

Like I said though, if the 49ers find themselves out of the postseason race early, you bet your ass we'll be seeing lots of him late in the year.

Who said anything about making it a full time switch? If the season is lost, then it's pointless anyway, but if it's in the middle of a desperate losing-game situation and the offense needs a spark, why not give it a shot? Kap comes in, gets his reps, and if he fails he fails - back to the bench.

Like I said though, if the 49ers find themselves out of the postseason race early, you bet your ass we'll be seeing lots of him late in the year.

We WON'T though. AZ's defense is trash, Seattle has no QB, and STL's defense is bad(torn up secondary)+schedule is brutal. The Cards and Hawks are both 1-2. We finally have a great shot to win this division, and we should be in it all year. After not making the playoffs for 8 years, I am not throwing that chance away for some stupid 2nd round pick.

We WON'T though. AZ's defense is trash, Seattle has no QB, and STL's defense is bad(torn up secondary)+schedule is brutal. The Cards and Hawks are both 1-2. We finally have a great shot to win this division, and we should be in it all year. After not making the playoffs for 8 years, I am not throwing that chance away for some stupid 2nd round pick.

If you feel that strongly about Kap, god forbid Alex gets hurt lol

Well yeah I definitely don't want him to get hurt, he's the best QB we have right now by far IMO. If Alex winds up being out for 2-3 weeks at a time we need to dial up McCown, I trust him to manage this team way more than Kaepernick.

Well yeah I definitely don't want him to get hurt, he's the best QB we have right now by far IMO. If Alex winds up being out for 2-3 weeks at a time we need to dial up McCown, I trust him to manage this team way more than Kaepernick.

I think I would trust Kap a whole lot more. He's had way more time with Harbaugh and the team in general. Sure, he's raw, but that's what being a rookie is all about. I'm still very excited to see what he can bring to the table.

And, if it turns out he sucks, then he sucks. No big deal, try again next year.

I think I would trust Kap a whole lot more. He's had way more time with Harbaugh and the team in general. Sure, he's raw, but that's what being a rookie is all about. I'm still very excited to see what he can bring to the table.

And, if it turns out he sucks, then he sucks. No big deal, try again next year.

yeah but he still doesnt play like a real QB, doesn't go through his reads, can't read a defense, wants to tuck the ball and run vs faster defenders, bad footwork which messes up WCO timing, etc. I like tolzien a lot more.
I love Kaep and was very excited when we drafted him. I really do think he's the future of this team. That being said, he's not ready yet. You can talk bad about preseason and say it's meaningless (which is true in the W-L aspect of it) but you could tell he wasn't ready for the NFL just yet. He was staring down his receivers heavily, not going through his progressions well enough, had a tendency to run when he didn't need to, no pocket presence, etc etc. He needs the year at least to figure everything out. He WILL be good, but throwing him into games during his rookie year could have an Alex Smith effect on him.

Smith is playing really good right now. Especially compared to how he was, but also when looked at on it's own. He's getting us into scoring positions, we're winning games, he's going through his progressions, he's hitting receivers, he's making tough throws, he's becoming a playmaker when the play gets botched (the messed up snap that he threw perfectly into the endzone) he's getting better. There's no reason to take him out now, or at all this year. He hasn't shown any reasons for it.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
I love Kaep and was very excited when we drafted him. I really do think he's the future of this team. That being said, he's not ready yet. You can talk bad about preseason and say it's meaningless (which is true in the W-L aspect of it) but you could tell he wasn't ready for the NFL just yet. He was staring down his receivers heavily, not going through his progressions well enough, had a tendency to run when he didn't need to, no pocket presence, etc etc. He needs the year at least to figure everything out. He WILL be good, but throwing him into games during his rookie year could have an Alex Smith effect on him.

Smith is playing really good right now. Especially compared to how he was, but also when looked at on it's own. He's getting us into scoring positions, we're winning games, he's going through his progressions, he's hitting receivers, he's making tough throws, he's becoming a playmaker when the play gets botched (the messed up snap that he threw perfectly into the endzone) he's getting better. There's no reason to take him out now, or at all this year. He hasn't shown any reasons for it.

Exactly, Kaepernick has potential and could pan out but he's not ready yet. Alex is not playing badly, and definitely not badly enough to trash the season by throwing in a rookie who will make a lot of mistakes. I just don't get it, for the first time in years we have a great chance to win our division and we want to throw it away to get a rookie who's not ready some playing time? Just because we don't like Alex Smith? That is just not smart IMO.
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
A win isn't a win if it doesn't show up on ESPN.

Originally posted by Whomeam:

Exactly, Kaepernick has potential and could pan out but he's not ready yet. Alex is not playing badly, and definitely not badly enough to trash the season by throwing in a rookie who will make a lot of mistakes. I just don't get it, for the first time in years we have a great chance to win our division and we want to throw it away to get a rookie who's not ready some playing time? Just because we don't like Alex Smith? That is just not smart IMO.

Yes.
Share 49ersWebzone