LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Do the 1984 49ers own the best defensive backfield in NFL history?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
FS Dwight Hicks, LCB Ronnie Lott, SS Carlton Williamson, and RCB Eric Wright all made it into the 1984 probowl as starters, intact. I don't think that's ever happened in NFL history, before or since. Was this the best defensive backfield in NFL history? Discuss...
Originally posted by Shaj:
FS Dwight Hicks, LCB Ronnie Lott, SS Carlton Williamson, and RCB Eric Wright all made it into the 1984 probowl as starters, intact. I don't think that's ever happened in NFL history, before or since. Was this the best defensive backfield in NFL history? Discuss...

If not the best, then definitely one of them. The 94 teams dbs weren't too shabby either.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Yes.

but Mike Rumph was our best CB EVER!!!!!
Originally posted by Amir:
Yes.

I disagree ...ANTONIO LANGHAM
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:

If not the best, then definitely one of them. The 94 teams dbs weren't too shabby either.

f**k Deon.

I will take a Ronnie Lott defense that shut down an insane Marino and Phil Simms that yeaer.

Which QB did the 95 team need to beat? Humphries? Aikman? Steve Walsh?

Simms (4000+ yards that year)
Marino (5084 yards that year)
  • Veteran
Absolutely!
no ty ill take Darnell Walker, Pierson Prioleau, Mark McMillian,Craig Newsome and Ramos McDonald!
i don't know.... it's not like they held the greatest passing offense (at the time) to 16 points to the superbowl or anything.............
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Yes.

This is not a name you should mention around here. We have some standards after all.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Yes.

This is not a name you should mention around here. We have some standards after all.

I remember being thrilled when we acquired Langham though. The media was gushing over him. We didn't know yet that he sucked. Same with Gabe Wilkins.

I think so, but this secondary has a chance to break records.
Originally posted by Joecool:
f**k Deon.

I will take a Ronnie Lott defense that shut down an insane Marino and Phil Simms that yeaer.

I will always be a defender of the 1994 squad but you sir have made an excellent point
Originally posted by facestabber:
f**k Deon.

I will always be a defender of the 1994 squad but you sir have made an excellent point

Don't forget: 1984 square went 15-1
Originally posted by facestabber:
f**k Deon.

Don't forget: 1984 square went 15-1

18-1
I watched both 84 and 94 and by far and away 84 was the best. I do believe the 84 was the best ever.
Share 49ersWebzone