LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

49ers are ranked DEAD LAST in total offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Some things never change.

Everything changes. Everything.
[rant]

Main problem is the OL. They gave up what...11 sacks last two games. Since the season started, they haven't blocked well for running or passing plays. Gore is no where near reaching 100+ yards a game like he used, sure he slowed down, but with little running room it falls back on the OL. AS has only turned the ball over once in three games...let me repeat that, 1 INT and 0 Fumbles. I'm not an AS fan, but that's a freakin miracle with the little time he's had in the pocket.

You'd think with Staley, Iupati, Davis (1st Rd), Rachal (early 2nd Rd) and Goodwin (SB win), we'd have the talent and experience. But inconsistent pass protection, few running lanes and multiple penalties have killed drives down the field. I'd challenge Harbaugh and his OL coach to make drastic changes if there's no immediate improvement by the Bye week if not sooner. Rachal being benched for Snyder is a start. When someone doesn't perform, regardless of draft rank and big money contracts, you will get benched.

[end rant]
Originally posted by Shaj:
First you have to look at history: Cam has had 400 yard games (plural) 3 games into his career. Smith has barely cracked 300 yards MAYBE twice in 7 years.

Second, you have to look at WHY Cam is entrusted to throw a lot while Smith is not. Say what you want, but coach after coach has not been willing to entrust Smith to take the team on his back and win through the air. The man cannot even inspire confidence in his own coaching staff. Getting asked to be a "game manager" is the ultimate kiss of death in the NFL. The blunt translation is "just don't f**k it up, okay?".

Coach after Coach has most likely taken a look at the receiving corp and decided that running the ball is the best option.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by susweel:
Some things never change.

Everything changes. Everything.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Uppercut:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
.. How couldn't it become another Smith thread? ANYthing about the offense automatically turns into a Smith thread.

Heck, if the defense struggles, it's also Smith's fault too. "Their 2 tyred cuz da ALECKZ kant make playez!"

On the other hand, people like you never Blame Smith. He's the QB, he runs the offense, how does he NOT get any blame. We are talking OFFENSE. What's with you people?

Here's all you need to know:

Smith is so valued by this team that he is on a 1 year contract, and he is so valued by his teammates that he was not elected captain. He is also 28th in the NFL in passing yards, but let's not talk about that right now. If his greatness was truly only being held back by everyone around him as most people in NT attest, then at least one of these things would be different. But they're not. We keep trying to put lipstick on a pig and it's not working.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Is this an accurate assessment.

Norcal fans mostly think Smith sucks.

Fans in other states are mostly Smith fans.

It seems to be the case, am I wrong ?
Originally posted by KDTMDSFC:
How the hell did this become another A.Smith thread?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

.. How couldn't it become another Smith thread? ANYthing about the offense automatically turns into a Smith thread.

Heck, if the defense struggles, it's also Smith's fault too. "Their 2 tyred cuz da ALECKZ kant make playez!"

heeeeey!
Originally posted by Shaj:

On the other hand, people like you never Blame Smith. He's the QB, he runs the offense, how does he NOT get any blame. We are talking OFFENSE. What's with you people?

Here's all you need to know:

Smith is so valued by this team that he is on a 1 year contract, and he is so valued by his teammates that he was not elected captain. He is also 28th in the NFL in passing yards, but let's not talk about that right now. If his greatness was truly only being held back by everyone around him as most people in NT attest, then at least one of these things would be different. But they're not. We keep trying to put lipstick on a pig and it's not working.

You know Smith supporters aren't saying he's great. We are making a different point but it isnt' worth getting into with you.
Originally posted by taney71:
You know Smith supporters aren't saying he's great. We are making a different point but it isnt' worth getting into with you.

This is what I see, too.

I have not seen anyone claim that Smith has NO FAULT in the low offensive output. Of course he is a factor - he checks down a lot.

Panthers = 117 pass attempts, 8.7 YPA.
Niners = 74 attempts, 6.8 YPA.
Patriots are ranked 32nd in defense.

Originally posted by suso365:
Patriots are ranked 32nd in defense.

Alexcuses.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by taney71:

This is what I see, too.

I have not seen anyone claim that Smith has NO FAULT in the low offensive output. Of course he is a factor - he checks down a lot.

Panthers = 117 pass attempts, 8.7 YPA.
Niners = 74 attempts, 6.8 YPA.

Well then, in the interest of fairness; Most Smith detractors aren't saying he is the worst in the league, just that he is a C level QB. And as a QB (the most important postion) he gets most of the blame or most of the fame. For every Shaj there is a 49ersalltheway.

I can't speak for anyone else, but at this point, poking fun at Smith is almost like an inside joke. I even notice some of the mods getting in the action.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
banned word in image.
[ Edited by Otter on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
What's the highest we have ranked on offense in the last 7 years ?
There is but people who are logical and not homers, know you can't keep winning with how we are playing. It's not like we are winning convincingly. Sooner or later we are going to start getting crushed.
I disagree. We're winning now while we play this way. It takes the entire team, not just the offense... and the "logical and non-homers" just don't like the numbers.

Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by cortana49:
There is SO much more to winning in the NFL than offensive stats. I am stoked at this point in the season. We're in the perfect position. We're under the radar! Seriously, who watches our games? Not many "media experts" give us a chance, even in the NFC West. And most importantly, you can "see" the difference in our games under Harbaugh. He's taking care to win games without throwing everything on the field. He is very much a situational coach which this team has DESPERATELY needed the past 7 years. And as dj43 stated, once the offense begins to gel toward the middle of the year, hopefully, we'll really start rolling. That's when people will suddenly notice the Niners and say, whoa, where did they come from? They're going to make the playoffs!

Now I'm not saying we're going to do much in the playoffs (or that we'll even be a 9-10 win team), but you just NEVER know how much confidence can be injected into a team once they learn HOW to win and are doing it consistently...which is Harbaugh's thought process IMO.

I said that too, can I get some credit!?

Credit to you too!
Share 49ersWebzone