LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

49ers are ranked DEAD LAST in total offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by Joecool:
And if we picked Rogers, where do you think Smith would have gone? A lot of the reason for Rogers dropping was that teams didn't not want to take another risk on a Tedford QB.

Who knows? Maybe smith gets picked up by green bay and sits behind farve, and becomes the best QB in the NFL. Rogers gets picked by the niners and is the biggest first round flop in history. The is fact that sitting behind Favre helped rogers game tremendously. i dont see how that could be an argument at all.

Once again, this frivolous argument. COMPLETELY discrediting intrinsic player talent.

How many times does it have to be said? All players ARE NOT created equal.

If that were the case, then why not hold an annual draft for coaches? After all, talent is meaningless if you try to contend that Alex Smith would have been anywhere NEAR Rodgers simply if he were drafted by GB and Rodgers would be ~ Alex Smith if drafted by SF.

Fact is, the talented players find a way to make it happen REGARDLESS of circumstance.

Lets not forget that Ryan Fitzpatrick was drafted in the 7th round of 2005 draft as well. Do you think anyone afforded him the same opportunities as Alex Smith? Hell no. But it didn't matter. He figured it out despite bouncing around the league.
How the hell did this become another A.Smith thread?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Memphis, calm down bro, this is not a fight. I hope you realize you are telling me that the worst team in the NFL has been this wonderful place for Cam to land. If they were clicking so well, then they would not have been last. Quarterbacks make the rest of the offense work, not the other way around. The offense plays as the QB does. Good QBs make the entire offense look good, and bad QBs make the entire offense look bad. It's not that complicated.

It wasn't a bad place for him to land at all. They had all the pieces on offense, Steve Smith, Jeremy Shockey, Greg Olson, DeAngelo Williams, and the other running back, his name eludes me. The panther problems last year were injuries and defense, not that they had no talent. Quarterbacks make the passing game work, but in order for them to perform, they have to get some pass protection. I can understand you might not realize what problems the panthers had last year, you probably don't watch any of their games, I was subjugated to a few of them because the girl I was dating liked them. They were miles more talented than our team was in 2005 when we had the first pick. I like Cam, think he will be a pretty good qb, but I think those 400 yard games were anomalies, and I bet anyone on that team would trade them for wins.

Smith has had Gore, Vernon Davis, and Crabtree and will soon have Edwards. Still don't know how the talent around Alex Smith is downgraded. I all honesty, Smith has better talent around him that creates more mismatches for defenses.

I was going to say the same thing. Don't compare our 2005 team to the 2011 Panthers, compare our 2011 team to their 2011 team. We have better circumstances and Cam is running circles around Smith. Smith needs to have an all pro line, all pro WR's, all pro RB, a world class offensive minded HC, 5+ years in the same system with no OC turnover, and a devestating defense to keep opponents score down before he can thrive. We should be thrilled.
Originally posted by KDTMDSFC:

It's about how we're ranked dead last in offense and he's our QB...not a big connection there.
Some ppl can think on their feet and some can't. No one can think of funny comebacks and one liners in a conversation like Robin Williams does. It's just how his brain works. No other comedy writer or performer could play verbal volleyball with Williams and win. It's the same with QBs. Either you have it or you play back-up to someone who does. Alex doesn't have "IT" but he will get us through the season.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by THEB:
And if we picked Rogers, where do you think Smith would have gone? A lot of the reason for Rogers dropping was that teams didn't not want to take another risk on a Tedford QB.

Who knows? Maybe smith gets picked up by green bay and sits behind farve, and becomes the best QB in the NFL. Rogers gets picked by the niners and is the biggest first round flop in history. The is fact that sitting behind Favre helped rogers game tremendously. i dont see how that could be an argument at all.

Once again, this frivolous argument. COMPLETELY discrediting intrinsic player talent.

How many times does it have to be said? All players ARE NOT created equal.

If that were the case, then why not hold an annual draft for coaches? After all, talent is meaningless if you try to contend that Alex Smith would have been anywhere NEAR Rodgers simply if he were drafted by GB and Rodgers would be ~ Alex Smith if drafted by SF.

Fact is, the talented players find a way to make it happen REGARDLESS of circumstance.

Lets not forget that Ryan Fitzpatrick was drafted in the 7th round of 2005 draft as well. Do you think anyone afforded him the same opportunities as Alex Smith? Hell no. But it didn't matter. He figured it out despite bouncing around the league.

Exactly, great post! Good QBs make the OL better, the running game better, and the overall team better. Everyone who's complaining about the OL needs to really look at the QB for the blame. Opposing defenses don't respect Alex's ability therefore they go balls out on blitz packages and put 8 and 9 in the box to stop the run. Alex just doesn't have the talent or the ability to avoid the blitz and step up in the pocket and find the open receiver nor does he have the balls to change the play at the line when he sees defenses loading the box and bomb to Ginn or Davis.

how could it not? It's like starting a thread about the US economy and Obama not coming up.

.. How couldn't it become another Smith thread? ANYthing about the offense automatically turns into a Smith thread.

Heck, if the defense struggles, it's also Smith's fault too. "Their 2 tyred cuz da ALECKZ kant make playez!"
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Some ppl can think on their feet and some can't. No one can think of funny comebacks and one liners in a conversation like Robin Williams does. It's just how his brain works. No other comedy writer or performer could play verbal volleyball with Williams and win. It's the same with QBs. Either you have it or you play back-up to someone who does. Alex doesn't have "IT" but he will get us through the season.

What does get us through the season mean? Why are we throwing away another season?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

.. How couldn't it become another Smith thread? ANYthing about the offense automatically turns into a Smith thread.

Heck, if the defense struggles, it's also Smith's fault too. "Their 2 tyred cuz da ALECKZ kant make playez!"

Damn NT at it's best!

On the other hand, people like you never Blame Smith. He's the QB, he runs the offense, how does he NOT get any blame. We are talking OFFENSE. What's with you people?

...because the QB is the most important player on the field and impacts every facet of the game...for the 1000x time...

...because the QB is the most important player on the field and impacts every facet of the game...for the 1000x time...

May he be the most important player in the field, our issue this time around, does not seem to resonate from that particular position..... yet. So far, he's been one of the few bright spots we've had in the offense.

May he be the most important player in the field, our issue this time around, does not seem to resonate from that particular position..... yet. So far, he's been one of the few bright spots we've had in the offense.

Well that's definitely debatable.
Originally posted by Uppercut:

On the other hand, people like you never Blame Smith. He's the QB, he runs the offense, how does he NOT get any blame. We are talking OFFENSE. What's with you people?

Yeah I never blame Smith. How long have you been around here?

I had given up on Smith and was ready to move on after last season, and honestly did not even think he'd want to come back if he had a chance to anyway. Clearly you have missed the numerous posts where I've said "Smith wasn't good enough" to make the kinds of plays we need at QB. But hey, thanks for the wild presuppositions.
Share 49ersWebzone