LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

So does Snyder Start at RG now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
REPLACE STALEY & CHILO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Staley is not a pro bowler by any means. At least his play is showing that. Chilo would not start on any other team in this league lol except for the Seahawks,
REPLACE STALEY & CHILO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Staley is not a pro bowler by any means. At least his play is showing that. Chilo would not start on any other team in this league lol except for the Seahawks,
Staley has been playing very poorly, but he has the potential to pull himself out of this rut he is in

I'm not too confident in Rachal ...he is playing with no fire at all , I would rather give Kilgore a shot at RG and let Snyder come off as a reserve Guard/Center/Tackle ...Kilgore might bring some nastiness to the O-Line
I can't believe how bad Staley is playing. Chilo doesn't surprise me but Staley while he's never lived up to his draft spot he has been somewhat solid. I rewatched the Bengals game last night and I focused on the O-line, rewinding each snap until I figured out who missed their assignment or who just got beat. I was shocked at what I saw in Staley.

Staley might have missed more blocks than Rachal. I mean, he is really playing poorly. He's whiffing on run blocks, and i mean missing guys all together. He's consistently getting beat by faster pass rushers too and he's supposed to be one of the more athletic LT's in the game.

More dissapointed in Joe than anyone on the line. Pick it up Joe! GO NINERS!
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
What happened to our 'potential' pro-bowler? He has looked awful so far this year!

I have no Idea, my only guess is coaching.

I don't know how we went from having 1-3 holes on the Oline 1-2 years ago, to having one good player (iupati)

It has to be solari.

Yeah, I suspect Solari is part of the problem. When you've got this much raw talent to work with, how can you field a product this bad and still be called a good coach.

The other part of the problem is certainly the switch from man-blocking to zone-blocking. Our personell are better physically equipped and more familiar with man-blocking. But once they get the hang of it I think most of them have the athletic ability to be good at it. The lock-out definatly robbed these guys of a chance to learn and perfect this stuff in a low-pressure setting.

I really think it is this... Its a big change to go from man to zone, and especially with Staley/Iupati it seems like they often misread who has what rusher. Davis is just raw and growing pains are happening. The only guy I have given up on is Chilo, he has never shown that he is anything but a back up. I think we would be better immedately with Snyder in there, but better longterm if Kilgore were getting those snaps. Goodwin hasnt impressed me much, but he hasn't been with the team long and we have little depth behind him.
Originally posted by backontop:
Why does everyone want to try and put Davis as RG??? I like the line up someone suggested of Boone-Iupati-Goodwin-Kilgore-Davis

Because Davis has a good amount of strength and upside, but right now he's too slow for his position and is often off balance when he finally connects with the defender. You move him inside and that eliminates the need for him to be as fast as we need him to be, and he should be good.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
LT- Alex Boone
LG- Mike Iupati
C- Jonathan Goodwin
RG- Daniel Kilgore
RT- Anthony Davis

I think we have lots of options and your lineup is a good one to try.

I think we go

LT = Davis, might as well put him there now and see how he reacts, he may like the left side more and be more comfortable there.
LG = Lupati = gonna be great soon!
C = Goodwin = okay now and will get better as the year goes on, just got here way late.
RG = Kilgore = has an attitude like Lupati, will make mistakes but has big upside over Rachel.
RT = Staley or Boone with the other being a floater, Staley is not athletic enough for a LT but would make a decent RT, I think Boone is on the brink of stepping up and could be the guy.

IMO we need to make some changes now and then let the dust settle, if we wait till the bye, we may never get an oline this year that will be able to come together and be dominant by years end.
The loss of Heitmann and Baas is profound. Skeptics have been silenced.

As for Kilgore and Boone, I have been critical for a call to go to the bench to this point, but can it get any worse? It is about time to let the kids play and see if they can do anything better than this current pile of poop.
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why we don't run behind Iupati more? Seems like the last couple games we keep running to the right, while it looks as though we have better blockers on the left.
I guess no one wants to consider the fact that Staley may not be 100% from breaking his leg last year.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I guess no one wants to consider the fact that Staley may not be 100% from breaking his leg last year.

He sucked even before breaking his leg.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

He sucked even before breaking his leg.

Based on what? He wasn't giving up a lot of pressure last year...He wasn't pro-bowl..but he didn't suck.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

As for Kilgore and Boone, I have been critical for a call to go to the bench to this point, but can it get any worse? It is about time to let the kids play and see if they can do anything better than this current pile of poop.

No we haven't!

The team still had poor run-blocking when Baas was at center until the later half of last season too. Really? Skeptics silenced? We still had poor pass blocking and were tops at sacks allowed last year and the year before that when Heitmann was healthy.

This has always been a poorly coached, sadly developed line that gets beat at the point of attack against superior opponents. That's nothing new. Teams will continue to stuff the run until the 49ers prove they can actually run a real pro-style passing game.

2/3rds of that is on the OL and 1/3 of that is on Alex Smith.
He just means he's not listening to the skeptics anymore.

The OL has been THE underlying problem for the Niner's offense for years.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

No we haven't!

The team still had poor run-blocking when Baas was at center until the later half of last season too. Really? Skeptics silenced? We still had poor pass blocking and were tops at sacks allowed last year and the year before that when Heitmann was healthy.

This has always been a poorly coached, sadly developed line that gets beat at the point of attack against superior opponents. That's nothing new. Teams will continue to stuff the run until the 49ers prove they can actually run a real pro-style passing game.

2/3rds of that is on the OL and 1/3 of that is on Alex Smith.
He just means he's not listening to the skeptics anymore.

The OL has been THE underlying problem for the Niner's offense for years.

True..but it's actually getting worse.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I can't believe how bad Staley is playing. Chilo doesn't surprise me but Staley while he's never lived up to his draft spot he has been somewhat solid. I rewatched the Bengals game last night and I focused on the O-line, rewinding each snap until I figured out who missed their assignment or who just got beat. I was shocked at what I saw in Staley.

Staley might have missed more blocks than Rachal. I mean, he is really playing poorly. He's whiffing on run blocks, and i mean missing guys all together. He's consistently getting beat by faster pass rushers too and he's supposed to be one of the more athletic LT's in the game.

More dissapointed in Joe than anyone on the line. Pick it up Joe! GO NINERS!

Understatement...glad to see he isn't getting a free pass in NT anymore!
Share 49ersWebzone