LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

My Take on Harbaugh's Game 3 Against the Bengals

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So, I was at the game today. It was overall very boring to watch. Alex did play pretty well. Couple of bad drops by receivers today kept us from converting 3rd downs. Even though Crabtree supposedly stepped out of bounds he made a heck of a catch.

Loved the defense. Dashon goldson played very well as a safety. Great game by Bowman as well.

Finally, I immediately loved the safety call once I figured out what was happening. Clearly we have a coach that coaches game situations and knows how to win football games.

Finally I'm really worried about Frank Gore. He's just not performing. I was actually very glad to see Hunter.
The second half was so much better. Hunter looks very good. The OLine needs to be addressed very soon. Alex played ok and could have played better if the OLine opened up a few hole and protected better. Rachel is a problem. Crabs dropping that pass was terrible - but him getting robbed of the TD was worse. GREAT that VD is getting involved. Our WR need better schemes. Coaching was definitely better than last week.

Hopefully the improvement will continue every week.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
i think JH needs somebody in the booth to help him out with replays

I don't think you can challenge a flag though
that is correct i dont think you can challenge a penalty

I hate that rule, football games would be a lot more accurate if we could challenge penalties.
Hate these refs.

The eye in the sky never lies.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Did you notice the play calling on the touchdown drive? That was good coaching. The 49er Offense completely changed their personality on that drive and threw a bunch of things at the Bengals that they weren't prepared for. They started with a spread formation, they ran a sweep with the speedy back Hunter, and then there was that great back door screen to Davis. It's Obvious that the Bengals were well prepared for Gore between the tackles and the usual short passes. But when the 9ers went with the change of pace back and the well designed pass plays to Davis, the Bengals D was pushed right down the field. For Harbaugh and Roman, this was a case of using all your best stuff right when you needed it the most. They didn't give the Bengals time to adjust and they pulled off a touchdown drive (their ONLY touchdown drive) at the critical juncture.

It was a good game plan. Conservative overall, but aggressive at the right moment. Conservative works when you're playing a bad team, and conservative is what you have to be when you can't trust your O-line and you can't put too much on your QB. Given the circumstances, it was a good game plan. It should also be noted that this was a rare win for a west coast team in the eastern time zone, and an even more rare road win for the 49ers. It wasn't very exciting, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but give credit where credit is due.

I can't stand the fact that Harbaugh only opened the play book when they are behind with 8-9 minutes left in the game. Too conservative. It was like watching a real team for a while. I'd like more of that.
This is a game in the past they would have lost...on the road against a team they should beat. Wasn't pretty but heading in the right direction!!!
Originally posted by zeke04:
This is a game in the past they would have lost...on the road against a team they should beat. Wasn't pretty but heading in the right direction!!!

Good point. It was ugly but a good win.
Did you notice the play calling on the touchdown drive? That was good coaching. The 49er Offense completely changed their personality on that drive and threw a bunch of things at the Bengals that they weren't prepared for. They started with a spread formation, they ran a sweep with the speedy back Hunter, and then there was that great back door screen to Davis. It's Obvious that the Bengals were well prepared for Gore between the tackles and the usual short passes. But when the 9ers went with the change of pace back and the well designed pass plays to Davis, the Bengals D was pushed right down the field. For Harbaugh and Roman, this was a case of using all your best stuff right when you needed it the most. They didn't give the Bengals time to adjust and they pulled off a touchdown drive (their ONLY touchdown drive) at the critical juncture.

It was a good game plan. Conservative overall, but aggressive at the right moment. Conservative works when you're playing a bad team, and conservative is what you have to be when you can't trust your O-line and you can't put too much on your QB. Given the circumstances, it was a good game plan. It should also be noted that this was a rare win for a west coast team in the eastern time zone, and an even more rare road win for the 49ers. It wasn't very exciting, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but give credit where credit is due.

You got me thinking (i know scary) about the touchdown drive play calling do you think coach Harbaugh is slowly opening up the playbook each game ,kinda testing the waters just doing enough to get the win. Then when he thinks the players and coaches are comfortable with the system he'll go balls out ?? what do you think . There have been flashes of good play calling albiet few small flashes
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
that td to crabtree could have been reviewed

We would have to find a link to the rule. I didn't think you can challenge a flag. Honestly, I can see why he called it though. Crabtree couldn't have been more than a CM from stepping out.

ya but i thought all TD plays were reviewed? even if the ref didnt think he stayed in they should have reviewed it, they wouldve if we were dallas or the patriots...
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Agreed on the first point - we opened it up and went empty backfield. And it worked.

I also agree. If we don't open it up and attack teams down the field more often teams will just continue to stack the box and blitz this team on every down
Originally posted by tohara3:
I also agree. If we don't open it up and attack teams down the field more often teams will just continue to stack the box and blitz this team on every down

The problem is he doesn't trust Alex Smith to attack down field with this offensive line protection. You asking an average QB at best when everything goes well for him to do more than he is capable of. Harbaugh should suck for Luck so he has a QB he can trust to attack down field. To me Luck is a great QB right now make average WR to good WR and if he goes with Harbaugh he can be a Elite QB.

• THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
ya but i thought all TD plays were reviewed? even if the ref didnt think he stayed in they should have reviewed it, they wouldve if we were dallas or the patriots...

TD plays are reviewed, but the TD was taken away by a penalty, which is non reviewable, so since the penalty pulled the TD, there was no reason for a booth review.
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

TD plays are reviewed, but the TD was taken away by a penalty, which is non reviewable, so since the penalty pulled the TD, there was no reason for a booth review.

It was reviewable according to Harbaugh. Although, he said they couldn't get a replay in time to look at. Also, the ref was literally steps away and threw his hat. Hard to imagine he would miss that call, but obviously the idiot did.
I've already decided I don't like Harbaugh. I don't like him because he is a conservative coach, and I hate conservative coaches. Again this week we had a chance to go for the kill, but instead we went for three and out and gave the Bengals a chance to tie. Also, his call to take the safety was idiotic because it didn't clear all of the clock...

He isn't good.
i got so pissed how conservative we went after the rogers pick, a td there wouldve iced the game. but no we run twice up the middle when we couldnt do it all game and run a te reverse
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i got so pissed how conservative we went after the rogers pick, a td there wouldve iced the game. but no we run twice up the middle when we couldnt do it all game and run a te reverse

No kidding! We're not going anywhere as long as this is the coaching philosophy.
Share 49ersWebzone