LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 394 users in the forums

what's up with Jimmy Raye Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He doesnt trust Alex Smith, so he is not giving him plays where we throw the ball down the field.
One thing I have noticed is that he picks his spots in a game to "open up" the offense. So far, he is fairly accurate as to which drive is could be a critical drive for more attacking plays.

It's interesting, we have seen our offense drive down the field with ease in all three games and that's when the playcalling is more creative. It is almost like he keeps it close, sees a spot when we probably should score and calls it differently.

Who knows?
Originally posted by Joecool:
One thing I have noticed is that he picks his spots in a game to "open up" the offense. So far, he is fairly accurate as to which drive is could be a critical drive for more attacking plays.

It's interesting, we have seen our offense drive down the field with ease in all three games and that's when the playcalling is more creative. It is almost like he keeps it close, sees a spot when we probably should score and calls it differently.

Who knows?

This.

At times we look very vanilla, but then all of sudden he pulls out some crazy plays, and they work. If we can have at least a .500 record by our bye week (7), i expect this playbook to open up even more.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Who knows?

This.

At times we look very vanilla, but then all of sudden he pulls out some crazy plays, and they work. If we can have at least a .500 record by our bye week (7), i expect this playbook to open up even more.

It reminds me of the early stage of the Bellichick Pats. They used to play to "let the other guy make a mistake" and drive when they needed it. With how vital turnovers are in the league, he seems to see if someone makes a mistake first and feel his spots out and the best part is that his QB has come through nearly every time.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:51 AM ]

Who knows?

This.

It reminds me of the early stage of the Bellichick Pats. They used to play to "let the other guy make a mistake" and drive when they needed it. With how vital turnovers are in the league, he seems to see if someone makes a mistake first and feel his spots out and the best part is that his QB has come through nearly every time.
But yesterday we saw almost nothing until we got seriously behind and suddenly we can move the ball with ease. Why can't Harbaugh call plays throughout the game. Is it all about the score? Alex is handcuffed? WTF!
It's conservative no doubt. I don't think he trust Alex at all and seems to be playing the "Don't turn the ball over" game. Maybe he is doing this to build up Alex's confidence?

However I do see more creativity added each week which is a good sign. I liked the call where we lined up in the power eye with 2 tight-ends and then motioned VD out to be lone WR which created a mismatch. Thats the play where they connected for a large gain. I didn't get to see who was covering him though. He had long hair so i was thinking it was the LB.
Dude relax, Niners are 2-1. Harbuagh is still a rookie head coach, coming off a 1 month offseason, a poor offensive line and injuries to key players on both sides of the ball....... If the defense holds up last week against the girls, the Niners are 3-0 right now.

Yeah his offense is conservative, but until the O-lines protects better and opens lanes for the runner, this is probably the way its going to be.

Go Niners!!!
Originally posted by zillabeast:
People can talk all they want about "oh the lockout, oh it's only been 2 months, wah wah wah."

These guys are pros. It's their damn job to execute. This dink and dunk crap is not necessary. The 49ers have the talent to be an offensive powerhouse. Jim needs to loosen his closed grip on that playbook, open it up, and let his men make some plays. That's what they're paid for.

Other than quick slants, you have to get better protection to throw downfield. Hopefully, we can get to a point where we can go deep a couple of times a game.
Originally posted by ace130:
I agree Jimmy Raye Number 2. And dont put your excuses of its the lockout the wco takes time! EXCUSES!!! His college gameplan doesnt translate to the NFL

I agree with that part, minus the fact that stanford ran more slants and kept opponents more off balance with the play calls, compared with our lame offense.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Dude relax, Niners are 2-1. Harbuagh is still a rookie head coach, coming off a 1 month offseason, a poor offensive line and injuries to key players on both sides of the ball....... If the defense holds up last week against the girls, the Niners are 3-0 right now.

Yeah his offense is conservative, but until the O-lines protects better and opens lanes for the runner, this is probably the way its going to be.

Go Niners!!!

I agree and as much as I like Frank Gore, I think Hunter has better vision. That may help the o-line look better.

Wow given the lack of no off season, lack of good personal, and a horrid offensive line we are limited. Our O Line is the real problem
Originally posted by wailers15:
Wow given the lack of no off season, lack of good personal, and a horrid offensive line we are limited. Our O Line is the real problem

oline + play calls.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

Who knows?

This.

But yesterday we saw almost nothing until we got seriously behind and suddenly we can move the ball with ease. Why can't Harbaugh call plays throughout the game. Is it all about the score? Alex is handcuffed? WTF!

We weren't drastically down. I think his philosophy right now has more to do with the fact that crazy things can happen with turnovers when a team is still learning an offense. So, he saves the plays they execute well for the critical drives.

Take a look at Dalton. Why did he play near perfect that first drive? I think it was because that first drive was scripted and he knew exactly who he would throw to on each play prior to the game starting. He was throwing some well-timed routes.

Harbaugh probably has a set of plays he sees our offense executing well in practice and saves those for scoring opportunities. Field position also plays a very heavy role in how aggressive we are. Nearly every time we get solid Field Position, we have been more aggressive. Andy Lee is a very important player on this team.
Have you ever heard the term "forty-whiners"? It's what fans from a number of other teams call our fans. Why? Posts like this one. Ever hear of a QB named Joe Montana? Word has it he won a few games for the "49ers"...maybe even some Super Bowls. Well, I'd like you to read this article...Joe talks about learning the WCO and how Niner fans need to be patient while Harbaugh's players learn it.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Montana-Preaches-Patience-For-49ers-128324703.html
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

Who knows?

This.

We weren't drastically down. I think his philosophy right now has more to do with the fact that crazy things can happen with turnovers when a team is still learning an offense. So, he saves the plays they execute well for the critical drives.

Take a look at Dalton. Why did he play near perfect that first drive? I think it was because that first drive was scripted and he knew exactly who he would throw to on each play prior to the game starting. He was throwing some well-timed routes.

Harbaugh probably has a set of plays he sees our offense executing well in practice and saves those for scoring opportunities. Field position also plays a very heavy role in how aggressive we are. Nearly every time we get solid Field Position, we have been more aggressive. Andy Lee is a very important player on this team.

The field position comment is dead on. Our average starting field position in the first half was our own 14. Hard to take chances inside your own 20, especially this early in the season with the lack of experience in the whole offensive system.
Share 49ersWebzone