LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Do Our WR's change Anyone's Defensive Gameplan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do Our WR's change Anyone's Defensive Gameplan?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Edwards is the only WR who goes after the ball and makes plays. Crabtree may have that ability but hasn't shown much yet. So, teams know that they can single cover the receivers and not worry too much. I would really like to see Williams step up, or Ginn start holding on to the ball, but won't hold my breath.

Morgan, VD and Walker should be running routes, even if they need to keep Boone at TE to block.

This. Period. But as usual, this all comes to down to how good our O-Line can block, and Alex's vision.
Originally posted by gamechanger:
All this throwing receivers open is crap. Most of the highlights and great plays are of WRs making spectacular catches in the endzone or them just flat out burn'n their defenders and making people miss. So far our WRs haven't shown the ability to take the ball away from defenders or burning them. I'm sure Edwards can do it but the rest of the guys need to show that they can too. Go to NFL.com and if you don't see WRs making some great catches on some poorly placed balls then feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Alex rarely (very!) gives them the chance. He plays incredibly safe football. He has taken strides this year, but is still a nominee for Captain Checkdown 2011
Originally posted by SJniner7:
All this throwing receivers open is crap. Most of the highlights and great plays are of WRs making spectacular catches in the endzone or them just flat out burn'n their defenders and making people miss. So far our WRs haven't shown the ability to take the ball away from defenders or burning them. I'm sure Edwards can do it but the rest of the guys need to show that they can too. Go to NFL.com and if you don't see WRs making some great catches on some poorly placed balls then feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Alex rarely (very!) gives them the chance. He plays incredibly safe football. He has taken strides this year, but is still a nominee for Captain Checkdown 2011

Does he have time to give them a chance? The oline rarely protects him long enough to make those kind of throws.

You got it all wrong, it's not about the recievers. It's about the playcalling and the QB. Rogers won the Superbowl with a s**t Oline and 4th string WRs. No excuses please.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
You got it all wrong, it's not about the recievers. It's about the playcalling and the QB. Rogers won the Superbowl with a s**t Oline and 4th string WRs. No excuses please.

This has got to be a joke. GOT TO. He has one of the most talented WR corps in the NFL, they have been since Favre was there,
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
alex is 70% compleition precentage this year and i think he has thrown only 6 passes over 15 yards missing only 1 of them (shouldve been a PI (against seattle pass to vernon)

however i do agree with the o line it isnt pass protecting or run blocking well the line doesnt get any push

so the homerun potential is there the o line needs to step it up

You alex obsessed never give up that percentage is due to short yardage dump offs please give it up. You want to blame anybody or thing other than the main issue qb.

THIS. Our receivers have yet to show consistent effort to try to make plays when the ball isn't absolutely perfect. Ginn, this year, for the first time I've seen is actually doing this. We know Braylon can. Vernon occasionally. But our others? Not really. That's what separates OK receivers from good ones. The good ones will find ways to make great plays.

How often do you hear, "GREAT ADJUSTMENT BY ________ AND WHAT A CATCH!!" ... Naysayers will pin this all on our QB, as if they're the ones making the receivers give no effort to catch what, to other good WRs, are still catchable balls.

If guys can be making plays with Cody Pickett (remember the Brandon Lloyd catch?), Rex Grossman, rookie Andy Dalton (see A.J. Green catch), etc. -- then they can make those plays with just about any QB. The point is, we've lacked receivers that can make big plays like that for a long time. Keep focus on that point. I know it's tempting to go off talking about QB play, etc. .. but let's leave that alone. We're just talking about receivers. Receivers that can make plays off anyone, whether it's a UDFA QB or an elite QB.
KYLE WILLIAMS GONNA BE A MOTHERF**KIN REVALTION
Braylon = Seems to have some fight in him and has shown the ability to get open but now hurt. I'd say our #1 wr.

Crabs = fragile = misses alot of games thus no connection with Alex, bad route runner, pops up balls and rarely fights for anything. Would have to be our #2 but has not really shown much to date.

Morgan = decent but never gets much seperation and is a solid #3 on most teams.

Ginn = great speed = no hands and sloppy routes. Was given up for a 5th round pick if I remember so maybe a #3 on most teams.

VD = great speed for TE but lacks sharpe route running and seems to have a hard time with sight adjustments.

Only one to get double teamed is Vernon. No other wr threatens anybody.

We don't even have a quick wr like Wes Welker who can get open right now and give alot of YAC and with our oline that would be a huge help.

yes, defenses are able to blitz more and stack the box
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I'll pretend that you are serious though I suspect you forgot .

By the time Green Bay got into the playoffs last season, their OL was back and healthy. Their WR group is the best in the league and now with a healthy Jermichael Finley they are even better.
Originally posted by dj43:
I'll pretend that you are serious though I suspect you forgot .

By the time Green Bay got into the playoffs last season, their OL was back and healthy. Their WR group is the best in the league and now with a healthy Jermichael Finley they are even better.

im tired of posting the stats

last year GB offensive line was one of the best i think they were 7th best in nfl in pass protection

in 2009 they were bad but it was because rodgers held the ball too long (2nd longest in nfl behind big ben) he has improved however
It all comes down to ALEX...................Look at the colts.There W.R. who are they now!
Originally posted by superman49er:
yes, defenses are able to blitz more and stack the box
This voted yes, because non agressive teams can be aggressive and go all out against our singletarian offense.
Share 49ersWebzone