There are 165 users in the forums

"Giving it time"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I read a lot if posts on here saying that there's no need to flip because it's only week 2, and give Harbaugh time to install offense and get a real QB.

We haven't been to the playoffs since 02, I'm tired of "giving time" I'm not looking for a 12-4 record or anything like that. But this division is sickening awful, and we by far have the most talent within it, no reason why we shouldn't go 6-0 against the division and at least steal 3 more games from the rest of the play. But at the same time I think about that and feel like I'm asking for too much.

Tired of this "waiting" and the suffering that comes with it. Up 14 on Sunday I still felt like we needed 2 more touchdowns for us to be in drivers seat. Tired of watching games we're winning and feel like we're losing. Was I pissed Sunday? Beyond belief, always am when we lose.

Although, was I surprised? Not one bit. And I cant stand the fact that I wasn't surprised, I should be, no team that's expected to contend for a division(NFC west or not) should be blowing 14pt leads at home!

I believe the only way to build confidence from a game like Sunday is to open up a can on the Bengals in their house Sunday.

One can only hope fellas.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinDownRodeo:
I read a lot if posts on here saying that there's no need to flip because it's only week 2, and give Harbaugh time to install offense and get a real QB.

We haven't been to the playoffs since 02, I'm tired of "giving time" I'm not looking for a 12-4 record or anything like that. But this division is sickening awful, and we by far have the most talent within it, no reason why we shouldn't go 6-0 against the division and at least steal 3 more games from the rest of the play. But at the same time I think about that and feel like I'm asking for too much.

Tired of this "waiting" and the suffering that comes with it. Up 14 on Sunday I still felt like we needed 2 more touchdowns for us to be in drivers seat. Tired of watching games we're winning and feel like we're losing. Was I pissed Sunday? Beyond belief, always am when we lose.

Although, was I surprised? Not one bit. And I cant stand the fact that I wasn't surprised, I should be, no team that's expected to contend for a division(NFC west or not) should be blowing 14pt leads at home!

I believe the only way to build confidence from a game like Sunday is to open up a can on the Bengals in their house Sunday.

One can only hope fellas.

I feel the same way dude, but when your staring QB has about 300 yds in two games, its depressing. I just hope we can beat the bengals
About 300 yards in two games, but how many scoring drives has he led? That's more important than yards.

And I understand being sick of giving it time. I really do. I want us in the playoffs just like anyone else. But you have to understand that you NEED to wait. Any time you have a new head coach who brings in new offensive and defensive schemes, you need to wait. The good news is that it doesn't feel like the past couple head coaches. This is our guy for years to come. No two and out, he's here for awhile. No more restarting next year and all of that.
I'm willing to wait
Originally posted by Whomeam:
About 300 yards in two games, but how many scoring drives has he led? That's more important than yards.

And I understand being sick of giving it time. I really do. I want us in the playoffs just like anyone else. But you have to understand that you NEED to wait. Any time you have a new head coach who brings in new offensive and defensive schemes, you need to wait. The good news is that it doesn't feel like the past couple head coaches. This is our guy for years to come. No two and out, he's here for awhile. No more restarting next year and all of that.

So when we hired Erickson you knew it would be over quick? And the same goes for Nolan and Sing? I "NEED" to wait 9 years to sniff postseason play?! I understand your point. But we're not Cleveland, not Detroit, not Cincinnati. This franchise is etched in the NFL as a winning franchise that has sh** the bed for almost a decade now.
Trust your feelings Jim... Let go Jim... Use the force Jim....

Seriously, I think Harbaugh just don't want a repeat of last year when we lost Smith to injuries, then a qb carousel going nowhere. So he went conservative to protect Smith from injuries especially with an iffy offensive line. I get it, but doesn't mean I like it.
Good post! I'm trying to take the patience approach too, but it's hella hard not to get let down.

Honestly I still think this team is a ticking timebomb, Smith just needs to put together some "great" games, like the game he had in 06' in Seattle, where he literally carried the team to a win, games like that!

Probably not gonna happen though.
I'm tired of "waiting" I've been waiting since 2002. i'm not expecting superbowl but i would like a playoff game
It is every coach's/fans dream to build a dynasty. A dynasty that will bring winning seasons for at least a decade, and be considered a perennial contender within their division year in and year out. In all honesty, does anyone here think that this team is capable of building a dynasty LED by Alex Smith ? Can anyone one here actually admit that after 7 years, Alex Smith can actually become a probowler ?

I think its safe to say that Alex's max potential is to become a game manager, and the last I checked.....the only teams to win Superbowls in the last 20 years with game managers were TB and Baltimore, and both of them were NOT dynasties in the making.
Originally posted by RollinDownRodeo:

So when we hired Erickson you knew it would be over quick? And the same goes for Nolan and Sing? I "NEED" to wait 9 years to sniff postseason play?! I understand your point. But we're not Cleveland, not Detroit, not Cincinnati. This franchise is etched in the NFL as a winning franchise that has sh** the bed for almost a decade now.

Erickson nope. Nolan it was pretty obvious. Same with Sing.

If you understand my point then good. There's really nothing else that can be said. This franchise needs time to develop, no matter how much it bothers people.

• Paul
  • Veteran
we lost to a good team and stand at 1-1... both the Rams and Seahawks are 0-2, as long as we stay in the division race I'm satisfied thus far
Yeah but you are saying "Im not asking for 12-4 but leading the division would be nice". Dude, we ARE leading the division right now, tied with AZ and have the tiebreaker because we've won a division game. We lose in overtime to a really good team and all of a sudden the season is over? Seriously? How do you know we wont go 9-7 and make the playoffs? We still have a chance to do that. People need to stop taking out their 8 years of frustration over Erickson, Nolan, Sing, Alex Smith, etc. on Harbaugh and let him do his freaking job. Same with Alex Smith, he's doing his best and we're averaging 28.5 points per game. That is nothing to b***h about.
We do have to give Harbaugh time---many of the great coaches started slow.

Walsh his first 2-3 years, Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year--yeah both had the worst talent in the NFL.
Gibbs started 0-5 in Washington--his team got better as the season went on and ended 8-8, won the Super Bowl the next season.

The one constant with the Niners is all the head coaches don't want Alex Smith to win games, just manage them---must mean something.
Erickson nope. Nolan it was pretty obvious. Same with Sing.

If you understand my point then good. There's really nothing else that can be said. This franchise needs time to develop, no matter how much it bothers people.

Develope yes. but not start at an infant level every yr. Ill give the benefit due to our #1 and 2 Wr's being injured. Basically what your saying is We need YRS to get our QB ready to play while everyone else can Do it in a season. It doesnt help that every yr we keep seeing Young good QB's keep passing us by. while we develope Alex. Now we have Cam"the Project" Newton throwing like an all pro. This Franchise has developed talent all the way around the Ball except at QB. A loss sunday and the developement needs to change starting position.
Giving it time is the stupidest excuse!!!! There are teams with new QBs coaches systems and there doing way better than our offense! And we have way more talent
Share 49ersWebzone