There are 246 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What was the most soul crushing loss of the past 5 years?

My therapist says I need to write this out to help get the emotional stress out of my body. I don't really care if you read this or not, I'm doing this for me. The candidates:

2008, Week 10 at Arizona. Cardinals 29, 49ers 24
How they lost: (4/5 on the brutality scale).
Niners had a 24-20 lead entering the 4th Quarter. Arizona scored 9 straigh points to take the lead, but SF had driven the ball down to the goal line with under a minute to play. Singletary showed he had no idea what he was doing in terms of time management when the Niners only got two plays off in a minute and didn't get in the endzone as time expired.

Impact of loss: (2/5 on the hangover scale)
Niners were 2-6, effectively out of the playoff hunt going into the game. However, the Niners ended up that season 7-9 and the Cards (who won the division and made a Super Bowl run) ended up 9-7. If SF wins that game, both teams are 8-8, but Arizona would still win the division based on total divisional record.

2009, Week 3 at Minnesota. Vikings 27, 49ers 24
How they lost: 5/5
Miracle throw by the luckiest POS ever at the end of the game to a BS WR who has never been heard of since.

Impact of loss: 3/5
It was still early in the season, but SF would've started off 4-0 with a win, and could have really built momentum for the rest of the season. I think we win the division if we win that game.

Week 2 New Orleans at home, Saints 25, 49ers 22
How they lost: 3/5
This was hilarious in retrospect. SF is losing 19-14 late in the 4th. They stop the Saints late, and force them to punt, only we muff the punt! NO takes over inside the 20, but the defense holds them to a FG! (Patrick Willis makes an incredible play on 3rd and goal to stuff the NO RB). 22-14. In Alex Smith's greatest life moment, he EASILY takes the team down the field, scores AND gets the two point conversion. Amazingly, they actually scored too fast, leaving plenty of time for Brees to come back on and drive down the field for the game winning FG as time expires.
Impact of loss: 3/5
Just needed one early win to get the season started. Started off 0-5 and finished 6-10. Win one or two of those early games and who knows how the rest of the season turns out. Bonus points because this was the night that Jerry Rice's jersey was retired.

Week 4 at Atlanta. Falcons 16, 49ers 14
How they lost: 4/5
Comedy of errors: Falcons had the ball and were driving for the win when Nate Clements picked off Ryan effectively ending the game... except he didn't go down and on his return was stripped of the ball, which was then recovered by Atlanta. The Falcons then drove down the length of the field and kicked a FG with no time left for the dagger.
Impact of loss: 2/5
Just needed one early win to get the season started. Started off 0-5 and finished 6-10. Win one or two of those early games and who knows how the rest of the season turns out

Week 5 Philadelphia at home, Eagles 27, 49ers 24
How they lost: 2/5
Turbulent 4th quarter with Smith turning the ball over, getting benched, the crowd cheering for David Carr, Smith coming BACK in. Leading the team for a couple late scores -- but ultimatetly coming up short in his comeback attempt
Impact of loss: 2/5
Just needed one early win to get the season started. Started off 0-5 and finished 6-10. Win one or two of those early games and who knows how the rest of the season turns out

2011 Week 2 Dallas at home
I'm not going into details...
Dallas.

We played good enough to win in a game I thought we would lose big, and in a season where I think we actually have a shot to win a few games. IN all the other instances the season was already in the toilet or I thought it was going nowhere anyways.

The first 3 quarters the Niners looked like a real team for the first time in years. The 4th was right back to square one. No o-line, not enough pressure, no 1st downs, questionable coaching, and a secondary that completes implodes.

IN the big picture the Niners can recover and this was expected to be a loss the day the schedule was released anyways, but it would have been nice finish the way they started.
The most crushing loss to me is always the last one.
arlanta last year

thats the definition of handing them a victory

chances are with beating a solid playoff team that wouldve probally built up our confidence allowig us to win a couple more games leading to a playoff birth
Originally posted by verb1der:
The most crushing loss to me is always the last one.

This for me too , and why would I want to go back and remember the bad times , anyway. Just won't do it. It's tuesday , time to start focusing on the Bengals.
Vikings
Originally posted by valrod33:
Vikings

To me, it was this DAL loss. We had the game in the bag vs a top team once again AND a very good chance to be 2-0 or even 3-0 considering how much confidence our team would have vs CIN.

We gave away a win this past Sunday. This loss may come back to haunt us.

Vikings would be my second.
I was at the GD Vikings game in Minneapolis a couple years ago. It would have been worse if I wasn't soooooooo drunk.
Last year in Seattle...high hopes new season...then reality set in....
  • lyer
  • Veteran
anything after 2004
Vikings
The Viking loss was bad because I hated that cock sucker Farve always whooping us.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Vikings

To me, it was this DAL loss. We had the game in the bag vs a top team once again AND a very good chance to be 2-0 or even 3-0 considering how much confidence our team would have vs CIN.

We gave away a win this past Sunday. This loss may come back to haunt us.

Vikings would be my second.

We did the same with the Vikings. We would have been 4-0 I believe. It was kind of a same situation in which Singletary played conservative, and gave Minnesota a chance. We lost on the last second to Favre on a fluke hail mary . I really think this game ruined us that season. We were never the same afterwards.
I didn't feel crushed about the Dallas loss.

Not sure why this particular one is so draining to some fans.
The niners have perfect the art of losing....

With all the losses and the hype going into every season only to be let down, I feel like I'm in an abussive relationship!