LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Kind of surprised at how people are freaking out over the cowboys loss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i truly thought that we were going to go undefeated
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Not every team can be like the bills.
This might be news to some people, but this is not the 1st time we lost a nail biter, and it won't be the last. That is football, it happens.

The key is, are we getting better? I believe the answer is yes. It's gonna be a process. I know people don't want to hear that after we've been rebuilding for 8 years, but this was only game 2 of the Harbaugh era. We need to put this loss in perspective. The past 8 years have been a wash, we are still at ground zero. Same way the past 10+ years for the Lions was a wash. They just started to turn it around making savvy moves the past 2 - 3 years. Harbaugh needs time to put his stamp on this team. We are not ready to be contenders right now, sorry, but it's the truth.

I'd rather the team lose a nail biter than get blown out. This loss hurt, but one day has passed and now I'm over it. Last year when we lost our first game (31-6 @ seahawks) alarms went off in my head, it gave me a bad feeling of what was to come. I didn't get that feeling after yesterday's loss. I honestly saw some things that I was encouraged by.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM ]
I'm with you brother. The sky is always falling.

Still, I think it is reasonable to be concerned. I feel one key reason is the running of Gore over & over which is more than reminicent of Raye. I thought Alex had a solid first half. I see a number of things we need to work on like the OLine - they were terrible in the second half.

I didn't expect us to beat the Cowboys and don't expect us to beat the Eagles and other top tier teams this season.

What impressed me was we didn't get blown out like we did last year. To me this was progress and we were w/out our two top receivers.

Another thing, JH is also learning as is the coaching staff. I feel we are on the right road albeit an uphill rough road.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

i guess i will settle for 15-1 then
I will admit that a large part of my upsetness is the fact that is was the cowboys. THE COWBOYS!!. Also it was a tough loss to take. I'm tired of these "almost victories" and the "good loss". I don't care if they are a playoff team. We had them by their junk and they totally pulled the rug out from under us. I think I just wanted it to be different. To get a good win out of the gate not a "good loss". THis has flashes of the Vickings game all over it from a couple of years ago. It's tough to take. I would be less worried if we were the eagles after this loss. Then you say. OK just one game, good team. Next week. But we have been doing this for years and until we start winning these kind of games then the specter of loser will be all over this team.
Heard sth about that Romo had a damaged lunge b/c of the broken rib...Let the hype begin.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Seriously, people are saying Harbaugh is reincarnation of Singletary, our QB play is garbage despite a 95 passer rating so far, our defense sucks, etc. I know it was a heart breaking loss and all, but 70% of the people in this forum expected 7-9 or worse before the season started. Harbaugh is a rookie coach in the NFL, trying to salvage a beat up QB's career, with a very young OLine and had to deal with his 2 best WRs being out. Our secondary sucked but they are missing half of their starters. When Spencer gets back in the starting line up I think our pass defense gets a lot better. We'll finally have 2 solid starting CBs, who arent great shut down corners like Revis but both are solid players. Goldson takes way better angles and has more athleticism than Williams, and hits a lot harder too.

Harbaugh is not singletarian at all, you guys are missing the game within the game. Are we running the ball a lot still? Yeah, but we are running outside more, and our passing game is already better looking. We've managed to cut down on the INTs and fumbles. On some of those passing plays, like the TD to Delanie, we were more creative than at any point last year. We were able to get a match up we wanted, clear it out, and exploit it. Raye/MJohnson never managed to do that. On that play I believe we had Vernon running a post and he was doubled I believe, clearing out the sideline for Delanie who Anthony Spencer obviously couldn't cover. Alex is a lot more accurate than last year, where he mainly threw passes over the middle and checkdowns. So far he's hitting sideline routes like intermediate outs that we have rarely seen him complete in the past, and he turned what could've easily been a TO into a touchdown but throwing the ball down field to Gore in the end zone after the bad pass. That pass was perfect and required quite a bit of improvisation, if it weren't for the PI by the beaten LB that's a TD and his stats look like 230 yards and 3 TDs.

Yeah we haven't had very many quick slants, we havent had too many throws down field, etc. But this is only the 2nd game in the WCO, against a very goood defense with the best pass rusher in the game and a cagey Defensive Coordinator. People are acting like we lost by 30 and got totally owned. but missing a number of our key players we were able to take a very good team to OT. That in and of itself is a big step from last year.

I'm surprised everyone is disappointed over an overtime loss to a potential playoff team. How many people had us beating the Cowboys at home? If we lose next week, I'll start to worry.

Thank you for this post. The Niners played well and Alex was on the mark minus the interception. I mean, its awesome how Harbaugh can improve QBs and improve the other player around him. Harbaugh's decision did not decide the game. It was a good decision at the time BUT Harbaugh should have the confidence to take the ball, run some clock down and then worst come to worst, kick the field goal.

I think our secondary is suspect and we need Spencer and Goldston to return to the secondary this week!

Thought: remember when we had Antonio Bryant and Smith threw bombs to him? Why don't we do that again?

My faith is still in this team and its coaches. The Harbaugh coaching staff is the best I have see in years.
The 49ers need to go out and destroy the Bengels with a large passing attack. If Alex can have a 250-300+ game against the Bengles, then I will start feeling better about this team.
Originally posted by communist:
Heard sth about that Romo had a damaged lunge b/c of the broken rib...Let the hype begin.

Let them hype him up. He will never win a Super Bowl, I guarantee it. Yea I know he puts up big passing stats, but so does 15 other QB's. Everyone is throwing for 300+ yards these days. I can think of 10 other QB's I'd rather have during crunch time than Romo, regardless of what we saw yesterday.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:

In all seriousness, there is no reason to worry until we lose a bad game to the Bengals. If we can make it into the bye week at 3-3 that is a great first half of the season for a team that notoriously comes on strong after week 8. Then we get the Browns, Redskins, Cards x2, Rams x2, and Seahawks... a great position for a run. If this team really does improve each week and the offense opens up more and more... this team will control its own destiny if they can get past the Ravens with a 4-5 record or better. Seattle has no offense, Rams are being torn up by injuries, and Arizona has no defense... it's very likely the niners are the best of the worst division in sports at 8-8.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
True the bright side is we were competitive and led the whole game. In years past there is no way the game would have played out that way. We would have been down by 14 by the end of the first quarter, playing catch up the whole game. The opposing defense t'ing off on Smith until he threw a pick or two. Coach Sing wouldnt of even had to make the decision to take the points or first down because he would have not gotten the play in time causing a delay of game.This forcing us out of field goal range. I could go on and on and on. Things are looking up over all the team played very well. Keep your head up and have faith.
Originally posted by MarkD:
True the bright side is we were competitive and led the whole game. In years past there is no way the game would have played out that way. We would have been down by 14 by the end of the first quarter, playing catch up the whole game. The opposing defense t'ing off on Smith until he threw a pick or two. Coach Sing wouldnt of even had to make the decision to take the points or first down because he would have not gotten the play in time causing a delay of game.This forcing us out of field goal range. I could go on and on and on. Things are looking up over all the team played very well. Keep your head up and have faith.

At least Harbaugh was decisive in his decision. Singletary would of been running around shrugging his shoulders yelling at the refs asking what is going on.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
At least Harbaugh was decisive in his decision. Singletary would of been running around shrugging his shoulders yelling at the refs asking what is going on.

True we have a real coach now
What do you get when you combine nearly a decade of epic mismanagement combined with a slew of fair-weather fans?

Candlestick Park full of stinky Cowboy fans!

It made me sick that whenever Dallas scored, it seemed like the 'Stick was going nuts for them.

That never would have happened back in the day.

Hopefully, Harbaugh can help change this.
Share 49ersWebzone