There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

"The Offense" thread

So how bout that play calling so far this year? How about that Oline?

What's up with gore? How was Anthony Dixon able to get a 7 yard gain on his one carry, and look faster than Gore, when Dixon is as slow as mark roman.

On one play in WK 2 why did we motion MOran Norris out wide? He's not going to catch anything out there.
Where are the "wildcat" plays with CK? That could open up the offense.
Where does Our offense go next?
Our Pro Bowl TE needs to get his head out of his ass or the coaches need to use him more as a decoy if he's being doubled.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
So how bout that play calling so far this year? How about that Oline?

What's up with gore? How was Anthony Dixon able to get a 7 yard gain on his one carry, and look faster than Gore, when Dixon is as slow as mark roman.

On one play in WK 2 why did we motion MOran Norris out wide? He's not going to catch anything out there.
Where are the "wildcat" plays with CK? That could open up the offense.
Where does Our offense go next?

CK got a wake up call in the preseason. In college against the competition that Reno faces, Kaepernick could outrun the defense. In the NFL, linebackers have speed. You could see Kaepernick trying to take the corner and being greeted by linebackers in the preseason. The wildcat isn't going to do s**t for us.
I'll give JH and crew a pass since they're still pretty raw.
How much of the playbook has been installed and digested by the players = what you can call. I don't think the oline is at the point where they can do their assignments without thinking about it. Gore does look slow but the oline played like crap. All the motions do is show you what kind of coverage the defense is in. There's no way a complex offense is completely installed, digested, and ready to go full throttle in 6 weeks. We probably won't see this thing firing on all cylinders until about week 6 or 7. Hopefully by that time our starting wr's are back and the oline is unscrewed.
"Conservative" is the word of the week for this topic.
The wildcat is horrible, even in ideal conditions it hardly ever nets big plays for teams. The rest of the OP i can see though. I did see a lot of improvement with motions and some trickery in both games. I just have to hope they will keep building on what they've started. As much as i have disliked Alex's play in the past, hes been hitting throws, moving around, and looking like a different player. So i dont think many reasonable people can blame much on QB. The one play where the snap went sailing and he turned it into an end zone shot to frank gore with a pass interference showed me a lot of improvement. There is a good deal to be happy about this team is improved.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Our Pro Bowl TE needs to get his head out of his ass or the coaches need to use him more as a decoy if he's being doubled.

I agree, I don't understand why he isn't running routes with speed and passion. He doesn't seem to be teh same leader he was last year, last year he wanted the ball he wanted the offense on his back. (or at least it seemed like it)
I thought the first half was great in terms of play calling. We came out throwing the ball and really kept the defense on their toes. Alex was making plays, converting 3rd downs and the offense generally moved well. Then...for the 2nd straight game..the other team becomes HYPER aggressive in the 2nd half and we become HYPER conservative. And this time, against a good team, we paid for it. That ABSOLUTELY has to stop. We need to be MORE aggressive, if anything. We've demonstrated over and over that we can't handle even the slightest of momentum shifts. Why even risk it? Hell, even if we were aggressive in just the 3rd quarter alone and scored another TD...we would have been up 28-14...game over. I'm not even asking for aggressiveness for 4 quarters...just 2.5 quarters. We come out in the 3rd quarter totally flat with this "haters gonna hate" attitude and get owned.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I haven't taken the time to read the responses so far, but it's funny to see you guys flip after a loss. We warned that the 49ers are going to be a work in progress, etc. etc.

Harbaugh is not God, but he is a good coach, one of the reasons the Niners were competitive yesterday, but you have to give him time. The guy is bringing knives to a gun fight, which says more about the overrated personnel moves of the previous regime. He is limited with what he can do offensively with a bad OL, a bad QB situation, no playmakers on the perimeter with Edwards & Crabtree hurt.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I thought the first half was great in terms of play calling. We came out throwing the ball and really kept the defense on their toes. Alex was making plays, converting 3rd downs and the offense generally moved well. Then...for the 2nd straight game..the other team becomes HYPER aggressive in the 2nd half and we become HYPER conservative. And this time, against a good team, we paid for it. That ABSOLUTELY has to stop. We need to be MORE aggressive, if anything. We've demonstrated over and over that we can't handle even the slightest of momentum shifts. Why even risk it? Hell, even if we were aggressive in just the 3rd quarter alone and scored another TD...we would have been up 28-14...game over. I'm not even asking for aggressiveness for 4 quarters...just 2.5 quarters. We come out in the 3rd quarter totally flat with this "haters gonna hate" attitude and get owned.

Nice post.

Importantly, you highlight the fact that we played good football in the first half, which has largely been overlooked in the post game threads. Especially on the defensive side of the ball, this seems to be more of a philosophical problem than a skills/players problem--although the personnel issue is very real.

Especially in the 3rd quarter it seemed that we would aggressively show blitz out of a stacked box, then lamely drop the LBs into coverage--over and over again. I'm not the most sophisticated of football minds, but when you have a second string QB and then a wounded QB in the game, it seems to me that you want be aggressive with your blitzes and savagely punch at the cut eye.

In the end, it seems like we're still philosophically wedded to protecting our weaknesses rather than exploiting our opponents weaknesses.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Nice post.

Importantly, you highlight the fact that we played good football in the first half, which has largely been overlooked in the post game threads. Especially on the defensive side of the ball, this seems to be more of a philosophical problem than a skills/players problem--although the personnel issue is very real.

Especially in the 3rd quarter it seemed that we would aggressively show blitz out of a stacked box, then lamely drop the LBs into coverage--over and over again. I'm not the most sophisticated of football minds, but when you have a second string QB and then a wounded QB in the game, it seems to me that you want be aggressive with your blitzes and savagely punch at the cut eye.

In the end, it seems like we're still philosophically wedded to protecting our weaknesses rather than exploiting our opponents weaknesses.

We stopped doing the shifts, and motion after harbaugh got mad at the refs. We didn't really do much play action, after alex got sacked by someone on a playaction play.

We just gave up on a lot of things this week.
Eligible tackle lining up wide, then shifting. Norris split wide. What is that s**t?? Knock it off!
Offense Sucks.... end thread.. Kidding, but seriously the offense isn't very good. And it's sad to see that the Coaching staff has ZERO faith in Alex. Eff it, just let the kid air it out. He'd be perfect for the no huddle. Spread QB in college, very smart calling his own plays. Just saying.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Eligible tackle lining up wide, then shifting. Norris split wide. What is that s**t?? Knock it off!

When I saw norris go out wide, I did a double take.

That play had Jimmy Raye all over it.