There are 132 users in the forums

Things I've noticed this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith - Yes the great one and one of my favorite players on the team. My opinion has changed on the guy, before I though he was just an awful QB (bottom 5) but now I believe he can be a serviceable game manager of a qb. He will never be that super star like Rodgers, Brady, or Manning but he can be a serviceable game managing type of QB. Not a player who will take over a game and pass for 300 yards 4 TDs and will get your team to victory. He is just not that dude.

Conservative playing calling - As much as I dont like it and dont like watching it, it is something that is necessary with this team and this QB right now. They simply dont have the trust of the coaching staff to open things up.

Frank Gore - I was one of the few who were against giving him a contract extension. I noticed him slowing down last season even before the injury, and especially now he is not the same player he was two years and never will be again. Hunter needs to be integrated into the game plan and be give about 40% of the carries.

Donte Whitner - The scouting report on him was accurate, he is an inside the box type of safety who is a liability in pass defense. Not much of an upgrade over anybody we already had on the roster.

Defense - Its pretty much the same as previous years good against the run and lousy against the pass. Watching Reggie Smith take poor angles every game almost makes me miss Dashon Goldson. Front seven is good but not great, Aldon Smith looks like he can be something but it probably wont be this season.

Oline - Not sure how we can have so many high draft pick players and still be so lousy. I guess we just didnt draft the right players (shocker).
spot on. i feel the same way.
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex Smith - Yes the great one and one of my favorite players on the team. My opinion has changed on the guy, before I though he was just an awful QB (bottom 5) but now I believe he can be a serviceable game manager of a qb. He will never be that super star like Rodgers, Brady, or Manning but he can be a serviceable game managing type of QB. Not a player who will take over a game and pass for 300 yards 4 TDs and will get your team to victory. He is just not that dude.

Conservative playing calling - As much as I dont like it and dont like watching it, it is something that is necessary with this team and this QB right now. They simply dont have the trust of the coaching staff to open things up.

Frank Gore - I was one of the few who were against giving him a contract extension. I noticed him slowing down last season even before the injury, and especially now he is not the same player he was two years and never will be again. Hunter needs to be integrated into the game plan and be give about 40% of the carries.

Donte Whitner - The scouting report on him was accurate, he is an inside the box type of safety who is a liability in pass defense. Not much of an upgrade over anybody we already had on the roster.

Defense - Its pretty much the same as previous years good against the run and lousy against the pass. Watching Reggie Smith take poor angles every game almost makes me miss Dashon Goldson. Front seven is good but not great, Aldon Smith looks like he can be something but it probably wont be this season.

Oline - Not sure how we can have so many high draft pick players and still be so lousy. I guess we just didnt draft the right players (shocker).

The problem with the o line and Frank is the same problem. We have switched to a zone blocking scheme and it hasn't worked to our advantage yet. The pass protection and run blocking are all out of sync. It will get better eventually, how quick it does will decide if we are good this year or not. As for Smith, he will get better if the line can keep the sacks to a minimum.
I agree with pretty much all of this.

One thing I noticed as well was Willis is not very good at blitzing, he dances like Anthony Dixon.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by verb1der:
I agree with pretty much all of this.

One thing I noticed as well was Willis is not very good at blitzing, he dances like Anthony Dixon.

Yah I dont see him blowing up the running back, but I also see Bowman do the same thing. Maybe thats how Fangio teaches it.
Reggie Smith is blown it two straight games with his dumb angles. He's obviously a terrible open field tackler from what we have seen.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
Reggie Smith is blown it two straight games with his dumb angles. He's obviously a terrible open field tackler from what we have seen.

Yah he need to be benched asap.

He's not 100% and the team is suffering as a result.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

He's not 100% and the team is suffering as a result.

If thats the case then thats a bad job on the coaches because you cant have a gimpy safety.
I have to disagree about whitner, he has had a few plays where he did good in pass coverage. I do believe fangio has too much trust in his players, and we are getting exposed for it.

I hated manusky, but now I see why manusky coached like a pu$$y, because it was the only way to keep us from getting destroyed every game.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I have to disagree about whitner, he has had a few plays where he did good in pass coverage. I do believe fangio has too much trust in his players, and we are getting exposed for it.

I hated manusky, but now I see why manusky coached like a pu$$y, because it was the only way to keep us from getting destroyed every game.

If we just had one top tier db it would make a world of difference.
two games in a row where they screwed up badly. Looks like they get their foot stuck in the turf and turn way way to late and let the WR just blow right on by them. I am sick of it already and we only played two games. Its going to be one very very long season for our D Backs and safetys. How many slant passes can you screw up on in a game?

Spot on with everything except for Whitner. Obviously he is more natural closer to the LOS, but he has made good plays on coverage considering the obvious lack of talent at the FS position. Ive noticed a few plays where he ends up covering for someone elses mistake and makes the tackle, but the blame should go to the guy who missed his assignment, not the guy cleaning up after it.

Gore still has a place on this team but it's time to relegate him to LT duty and give him about 10-15 touches while trying to line him up on a LB inthe passing game. A small quick no-nonsense back like Hunter needs more carries when our line can only 1 maybe 2 out of 5 matchups per play, Gore just gets caught in the wash too often since he doesnt have his normal burst.

One positive observation is Bowman. Aside from the Lynch stiff arm, he has been lights out and the best option to cover a TE or RB out of the back field. He was step for step with all of his coverage assignments and made plays all over the field, hope this allows Willis to freestyle a little more.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 5280High:
Spot on with everything except for Whitner. Obviously he is more natural closer to the LOS, but he has made good plays on coverage considering the obvious lack of talent at the FS position. Ive noticed a few plays where he ends up covering for someone elses mistake and makes the tackle, but the blame should go to the guy who missed his assignment, not the guy cleaning up after it.

Gore still has a place on this team but it's time to relegate him to LT duty and give him about 10-15 touches while trying to line him up on a LB inthe passing game. A small quick no-nonsense back like Hunter needs more carries when our line can only 1 maybe 2 out of 5 matchups per play, Gore just gets caught in the wash too often since he doesnt have his normal burst.

One positive observation is Bowman. Aside from the Lynch stiff arm, he has been lights out and the best option to cover a TE or RB out of the back field. He was step for step with all of his coverage assignments and made plays all over the field, hope this allows Willis to freestyle a little more.

I agree with you about Bowman he has played well.
Secondary is just an absolute glaring weakness. Any team that throws more than 30 times against us has a good chance of winning.
Share 49ersWebzone