LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Alex Smith's career performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Out of 54 games where he started he's thrown for under 200 yards in 35 of them. That is what this once great franchise now considers
a starting QB?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
This is a gigantic problem that nobody wants to acknowledge. It is always the system's fault, or his WR's fault, or whatever. Bottom line is, the reason is a) the coaches don't trust Smith to throw down the field, and b) he can't do it very well either. Right now we are doing very high % very short passes and relying on other parts of the team (D, ST, or RB) to bail us out. This also creates very high passer ratings, which I think is misrepresentative because VOLUME of production is not represented, just efficiency.

Rookie Cam Newton has passed more in 2 games than Smith normally does in 5. Very, very, (very!!!!) sad.
This again?
Tell me again who was available and who was willing to come to this team? Please enlighten me.
Aannnd welcome to niner talk after a loss.
^^^ words from a man who went missing during Alex's performance against the cowboys.
yards is not improtant he had a lot of 3rd down conversions and had 2 TD and averaged 7.5 yards a throw (which is above average)
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:10 AM ]
alex had a 99.1 qb rating in this game if the coaches get conservative and play scared dont blame alex we had a 1st down on the 22 yrd line with 11minutes left in the game the coaches decided to decline the penalty and take the 3 point instread of keeping foot on the gas petal and trying to get the TD that would have won the game for us its shows a lack off confidence in the entire offense bad playcalling cost us this game period
lack of Oline production cost the game not the playcalling. Think about it. Having to bring in extra line men for protection isn't going to win you games.
[ Edited by kingairta on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:15 AM ]
His Won - Loss record in those games is 10-25 So I'd say yes yardage does matter.

Originally posted by Shaj:
This is a gigantic problem that nobody wants to acknowledge. It is always the system's fault, or his WR's fault, or whatever. Bottom line is, the reason is a) the coaches don't trust Smith to throw down the field, and b) he can't do it very well either. Right now we are doing very high % very short passes and relying on other parts of the team (D, ST, or RB) to bail us out. This also creates very high passer ratings, which I think is misrepresentative because VOLUME of production is not represented, just efficiency.

Rookie Cam Newton has passed more in 2 games than Smith normally does in 5. Very, very, (very!!!!) sad.

Not as sad as this act...
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 19, 2011 at 7:32 AM ]
Now all you Alex lovers show us ONE QB who has been a starter in the NFL since 2005 who has worse stats (YPG and W-L) than Alex then we'll back off
your beloved "Fetal Boy".
Originally posted by kingairta:
This again?

x2.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Aannnd welcome to niner talk after a loss.

Not much different than after we won last week.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
yards is not improtant he had a lot of 3rd down conversions and had 2 TD and averaged 7.5 yards a throw (which is above average)

this post is ridiculous, just like the stats
Share 49ersWebzone