There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The answer is both.

.
because it was the right call to make , as much as i hated the decision it's the correct call . Never take points off the board . Now you can say he and the DC called a consirvative game or rushing 3 did not make sence to me , Homo was killing us with bad ribs but we could have hit him more and hard we chose to cover and we don't have the players to do so.
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It doesn't matter why because there's no way to justify it. It's like kicking a FG on 1st down.

Exactly, it makes absolutely no sense. Rookie coaching mistakes again

There's also an axiom that states you NEVER take points off the board. While you may not agree with the decision, it is defensible.

That axiom refers to the situation where it's 4th and 6 and you kick a FG and there's a 5 yard offsides on the defense giving you the option of 3 points or 4th and 1. It doesn't refer to the situation where you have 1st and 10 at the opponents 20.
He has not trust in the offense and I can't blame him. Smith has flashed but can't sustain a consistent game. He takes the points off the board because he doesn't trust to O not to turn the ball over or take a long sack. Alex panics when there is pressure. Case and point? 2nd and 3 near midfield...Alex looks for Gore in the flat but Ware peels off to cover him. The play isn't there...YOU THROW THE BALL AWAY. Alex freezes and he's sacked. It was a brief freeze but he needs to throw that ball away and live to play another down. Instead of 3rd and 3 its 3rd and long and the 9ers punt. Just one example of why Harbaugh does not trust his offense.
Never take points off the board
I understand Harbaugh's thought process. I get that you are not supossed to take points off the board, but given the nature of the situation (15 yard penalty, ball around the 25 yard line) you have to take a gamble.
Let's say you take the ball at the 25, run Gore up the middle 3 times for a 3 yard gain, take one minute to two minutes off the clock and kick the FG then.
For one that was a 55 yard field goal. Second as porous as our O-line was and the poor run game. Chances were good that Alex would have taken a sack and knocked the team out of field goal range.

It was the right call given the performance of the offence.

Had Madieu(sp?) gone for the hit rather the ball I bet the 9ers would have won that game. The hit would have either knocked the ball out or drove the reciever out of bounds resulting in an incompletion.

For those who say they would take the points off and still be happy if Alex threw a pick six on the next play as happy with the call I call b******t. You'd be in here crying you don't take points off the board.
worst decision in harbaugh young coaching career you are supposed to take the 15 yrds and the 1st down its a no brainer alex had a qb rating of 99.1 let him throw the damn ball Vernon Davis led nfl in tds 2 years ago he only had 2 receptions used mostly as a blocker against D. Ware and delanie walker was a mismatch on a dallas olb spencer on his TD never went back to that play even kyle williams looked great on his td catch never threw another ball to him we have a total of 200yrd offense in back to back weeks thats is possibly the worst offense in the nfl we have to stay aggressive I am sick of conservative playcalling worst case scenerio if u have that little faith in ur offense take penalty run 3 frank gore runs if we gets 1st down great if not at least we take more time of clock and prevent 4th qtr dallas comeback
  • dmax
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,146
u never EVER take points of the board
harbaugh took the points off the board because his defense was playing good... real good until that point. BUT at that point in the game with a frest set of downs and needing to run the clock he should have taken the downs and kept romo and the cowgirls offense off the field. i really don't think it had anything to do with our offense alex played a good game yesterday... our run blocking really needs to step its game up.
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
worst decision in harbaugh young coaching career you are supposed to take the 15 yrds and the 1st down its a no brainer alex had a qb rating of 99.1 let him throw the damn ball Vernon Davis led nfl in tds 2 years ago he only had 2 receptions used mostly as a blocker against D. Ware and delanie walker was a mismatch on a dallas olb spencer on his TD never went back to that play even kyle williams looked great on his td catch never threw another ball to him we have a total of 200yrd offense in back to back weeks thats is possibly the worst offense in the nfl we have to stay aggressive I am sick of conservative playcalling worst case scenerio if u have that little faith in ur offense take penalty run 3 frank gore runs if we gets 1st down great if not at least we take more time of clock and prevent 4th qtr dallas comeback


this.
And had he taken the points off the board and the team failed to score and Dallas wins everyone would be crying you don't take points off the board. This is such a non issue at this point. There were so many other mistakes I can't believe we are arguing over this call which in all reality wasn't a mistake and no matter what the outcome people would b***h about it.
You take a 3pts of the board when u can get a 7pts the cowboys defense was without its top 3 corner backs alex had threw TD's to delanie walker and kyle williams his qb rating was a 99.1 if we score the TD the game is over we were playing conservative not to lose instead of playing to win bottom line a 2 TD lead is harder to come back from than a 10pt lead for all of you who say a sack would have took us outta field goal range bullsh*t we just got a 15 yrd penalty that put us on the 22yrd line 1st down you take the penalty anything else is bad coaching even with a sack we the FG would have been shorter than the 55 yrd FG Akers just made we lost because scared coach cant win we got away with it last week all the conservative running calls on 3rd down we were up 16-0 it was 17-19 our favor when Ted Ginn jr ran the kickoff back and then the punt back that saved us last week this week we needed to score TD's not FG against an explosive dallas offense that why we lost u cant hide your QB in the NFL let him throw the damn ball.
You forget at that point Dallas' D had turned it up. The Oline was getting worse and worse. I bet the odds were greater that the team would have lost yards and pushed the ball out of range. I know Akers hit that 55 yarder but could he do it again? How many teams actually attempt a 50+ Not many.
Could we stop blaming the coaches for once? They arent the ones getting burned for touchdowns and not being able to block.
Originally posted by kingairta:
And had he taken the points off the board and the team failed to score and Dallas wins everyone would be crying you don't take points off the board. This is such a non issue at this point. There were so many other mistakes I can't believe we are arguing over this call which in all reality wasn't a mistake and no matter what the outcome people would b***h about it.


Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
harbaugh took the points off the board because his defense was playing good... real good until that point. BUT at that point in the game with a frest set of downs and needing to run the clock he should have taken the downs and kept romo and the cowgirls offense off the field. i really don't think it had anything to do with our offense alex played a good game yesterday... our run blocking really needs to step its game up.


Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
this.

You realize Smith had already thrown an awful interception inside his own 30 and was a deer in headlights every time he saw a pass rusher right? We can bash all we want to but as long as Harbaugh does not trust his QB he will continue to play conservative. I don't care what Alex's rating was he shows some flashes but never puts together a consistent game against a good team.