LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why did Harbaugh take the 3 points instead of taking a 15 yard penalty?

• MarkD
  • Veteran
Because it was the right call
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No confidence in Alex and the offense.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No confidence in Alex and the offense.
because he is a college coach out of his league?
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It doesn't matter why because there's no way to justify it. It's like kicking a FG on 1st down.

Lol, that's an interesting way of looking at it. Granted, in reality it's a BIT better than that because it's like kicking a field goal on 1st down that you know is pre-determined to have been successful. But ya, it is kinda like that. It just annoys me, because if we accept that penalty but still wind up just getting a field goal out of it, it's still a lot better because we took a bunch more time off. Not to mention there's always the possibility of getting 7. Hell, if you're worried about sacks and picks and stuff, just run Gore 3 straight times. Perhaps he breaks one, but even if he doesn't, you chew up a couple more mins and Akers would NOT have missed the thirty-something yard field goal.

I also think the Brooks offside BS call killed us (turned a punt into them scoring a TD the next play) and the no-call when Doug Free held Justin Smith on that 4th down which then allowed them to score a TD.
Hey, this was just an awful mistake, not considering that he was playing tony Romo, and not Tarvaris Jackson. Give Romo time and he will beat you, broken ribs and all. This was a terrible goof up on Harbaugh's part and he obviously has not learned either how to call offensive plays against a box 8. Well, hopefully he learned two lessons here, and he is smart enough to add them to his memory bank. Some of this is just being a rookie coach. I don't think he makes this mistake again, factoring in playing against Brees, Romo, Pitts, NE, SD, ATL, or Vick. I do hope he also learns to recognize a box 8 next time and just throw quick dinks over it until they move back.
The ONLY time a football coach should prefer 3 points over a 1st down is if there's like 10 seconds left in the game and you're either tied, down 1, or down 2. That's IT...other than that a 1st down in enemy territory is ALWAYS better.
WZ Coaches know EVERYTHING about coaching and ownership because they have the power of hindsight.
I don't think Harbaugh even knows why he didn't take the penalty.
Originally posted by 49erMike:
WZ Coaches know EVERYTHING about coaching and ownership because they have the power of hindsight.

Check the game day thread. The hindsight bullsh*t does not apply to this situation. 85% of poster were questioning the decision AS IT HAPPENED.

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Check the game day thread. The hindsight bullsh*t does not apply to this situation. 85% of poster were questioning the decision AS IT HAPPENED.

Right...85% of the whiners that think they're coaching material.
Game play was very conservative as we took very few shots down field. Run game was Not working but you still have to play to win. Not play to hold a lead. I'm so tired of seeing this bend but don't break crap. We should have gone for the Juggler but the 4th QT looked like Nolan/Sing all over again.
It's a two score game either way with 8 mins late. So Dallas drives and scores a touchdown at the end instead of a feild goal to tie. Meh. That call had a little effect on the game, people are reaching. It was statistically the right call.
because i touch myself at night.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Where's the because he had a brain fart option. There's no way he made the right choice.
Share 49ersWebzone