LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

Smith's 'glass jaw' will eventually get exposed with 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WINiner:
Alex Smith lost this game today. We were beating them and had the game in hand till he throws the momentum changing pick. I can't wait till Alex Smith is gone.

This is bull****. What about the pass defense that gives up four HUGE plays? What about the piss-poor run blocking? What about the 6-7 sacks - ALL of them situations where Smith got the ball and immediately had to cradle it up or risk a fumble? What about the defense causing a fumble on the play right before the FG attempt to tie the game and NO ONE falling on the ball to secure the win?

The ratio of failed runs/failed pass-blocking leading to sacks vs. Alex Smith having true opportunities (probably 1-2) at the end of the game had to be 8:1. He wasn't given the chance to win the game. They failed to control the clock with the run game, and when they tried to pass it was bad blocking that usually led to a sack. That's the problem, not Smith. If you can't move the chains with the run game, you have to set up your QB to be able to move the chains, and the playcalls simply didn't.

They hung in there with a team with a far better defensive line than out o-line, and a far better passing game than our pass defense. How is this Smith's fault?

And oh yeah - they got back to a 10 point lead AFTER that INT. He made those plays (TD to Walker) when he needed to. I can't recall any other opportunities for him to even try after the last FG by Akers.
Alex Smith lost this game today. We were beating them and had the game in hand till he throws the momentum changing pick. I can't wait till Alex Smith is gone.

That pick sucked but Alex doesn't cover Witten and play DB. Alex did enough to get us a 21-14 lead. Defense f**ked it up after that.

Also..Gore has 47 yards on 20 carries?

Personally...I'm not upset with the offense. Generally they did a decent job. Secondary f**ked up today.

yes because EVERYONE knows good qbs never throw an interception
Smith had a good game today, particularly given that our two top WRs didn't play and our line was porous. Smith doesn't get the blame for this loss, IMO. Not even close.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Smith had a good game today, particularly given that our two top WRs didn't play and our line was porous. Smith doesn't get the blame for this loss, IMO. Not even close.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking of leaving NT for a couple days. The Oline and RB's, not to mention coaching deserve their fare share of the blame. Now I'm not giving him a free pass, but he is not the main reason we lost. A reason yes, but not the main reason.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
That pick sucked but Alex doesn't cover Witten and play DB. Alex did enough to get us a 21-14 lead. Defense f**ked it up after that.

Also..Gore has 47 yards on 20 carries?

Personally...I'm not upset with the offense. Generally they did a decent job. Secondary f**ked up today.

Agree with this. Smith had a 99 QB rating for the game and did fairly well considering the breakdown in pass protection. It cracks me up when someone says he needs a perfect pocket! Ratliff coming straight up the middle and hitting him before he can reach his set up point...not exactly his fault on that one.

The pick was a bad throw and it made me sad because Smith has to play perfectly in order for this team to be successful. Romo played really well today after he hurt his ribs, but I was a bit surprised the D didn't blitz him more.

All told, the pass offense outplayed the run offense and the run defense outplayed the pass defense. Can't believe they can't spring Gore for a long run once in a while.
The botched snap and throw to gore on the run was sick
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

yeah, that was Alex in his rarely-if-ever seen "Baller Mode."
  • Jiks
Originally posted by HessianDud:

That was like a 55 yard pass on the run...

AND THIS IS THE REASON WHY WE DONT PLAY FOR THE KILL!...THIS IS THE REASON WHY WE PLAY SO CONSERVATIVE!...There is no faith in Alex!..Alex is expected to not lose the game rather then win the game. That is why we keep running the ball instead of attacking downfield...Same s**t...Different year...

To all of the jacka$$es that want to lay this one on Alex, Really???? This one is soley on the coaching staff.
1. You take the penalty. You get the ball on the 25 of Dallas, with a chance to score 7, but most importantly, a chance to take time off of the clock.
2. On 2 seperate play DeMarcus Ware was unblocked. How do you not account for the other teams best defensive player on every play?
3. Was it just me or did it appear that Wittenwas running free a lot of the time?
Originally posted by kgfalls:
To all of the jacka$$es that want to lay this one on Alex, Really???? This one is soley on the coaching staff.
1. You take the penalty. You get the ball on the 25 of Dallas, with a chance to score 7, but most importantly, a chance to take time off of the clock.
2. On 2 seperate play DeMarcus Ware was unblocked. How do you not account for the other teams best defensive player on every play?
3. Was it just me or did it appear that Wittenwas running free a lot of the time?

Enjoy the warning noobie.

We win in spite of all that if Alex doesn't throw the dumb pick. EVERYONE was right on that play except Alex. From that point forward the wind went out of our sails and it was Dallas's game to lose.

Make all the excuses you want, but imo we win if Alex doesn't throw that pick.
Enjoy the warning noobie.

We win in spite of all that if Alex doesn't throw the dumb pick. EVERYONE was right on that play except Alex. From that point forward the wind went out of our sails and it was Dallas's game to lose.

Make all the excuses you want, but imo we win if Alex doesn't throw that pick.

Gimme a break. That wasn't the only play that cost us this game.

How about Austin's TD at the end of the 1st half on a busted coverage? Madieu Williams whiffing on the ball on Austin's 3rd TD. The defense couldn't stop Dallas on 4th & 5, setting up the game-tying FG. The o-lines inability to block in the run game or pass-pro. Busted coverage in OT setting up Dallas on our 1 yardline.

Alex was moving the ball when he was afforded time in the pocket. Every drive in the 2nd half was killed on a sack due to s**tty pass blocking. We lost this game thanks to the o-line and secondary, not Alex Smith.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM ]
We also win if the defense doesn't allow 450 yards of passing. Our secondary is basically on par with Arizona's defense now, who let Cam Newton throw for 400 yards.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

That was like a 55 yard pass on the run...
If Gore doesn't try to catch it Delanie would've had a TD, who the pass was intended for.
Share 49ersWebzone