• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Awesome article. Right on the money.

sad, but true.
Agreed! Wish it was different.

Yeah, all this rhetoric and celebration about 92.4 is going to fall apart like a house of cards when we start seeing the "same old Alex Smith" on the field, most likely starting today.
  • Jiks
49ers last drive...

San Francisco 49ers at 14:55 SEA SFO
1st and 10 at SF 27 A.Smith pass short left to F.Gore to SF 33 for 6 yards (E.Thomas). Caught at SF 30. YAC 3-yds
2nd and 4 at SF 33 F.Gore right guard to SF 34 for 1 yard (K.Wright).
3rd and 3 at SF 34 A.Smith pass short right to B.Edwards to SF 46 for 12 yards (E.Thomas). Caught SF 41. YAC 5-yds
1st and 10 at SF 46 T.Ginn left end pushed ob at SF 46 for no gain (C.Clemons).
2nd and 10 at SF 46 A.Smith pass deep right to J.Morgan to SEA 28 for 26 yards (K.Chancellor). Caught at SEA 30. YAC 2-yds
1st and 10 at SEA 28 F.Gore right guard to SEA 23 for 5 yards (A.Curry). PENALTY on SF-J.Morgan, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at SEA 23.
1st and 15 at SEA 33 F.Gore left end to SEA 32 for 1 yard (A.Branch).
2nd and 14 at SEA 32 A.Snyder reported in as eligible. F.Gore left tackle to SEA 16 for 16 yards (B.Browner, K.Wright). PENALTY on SEA-L.Hill, Horse Collar Tackle, 8 yards, enforced at SEA 16.
1st and 8 at SEA 8 K.Hunter left end to SEA 4 for 4 yards (K.Chancellor).
Timeout #1 by SEA at 09:07.
2nd and 4 at SEA 4 A.Smith pass incomplete short left to B.Edwards [C.Clemons].
3rd and 4 at SEA 4 A.Boone reported in as eligible. F.Gore right tackle to SEA 2 for 2 yards (C.Clemons).
1st and 1 at SEA 1 A.Boone reported in as eligible. F.Gore left tackle to SEA 3 for -2 yards (K.Chancellor).
2nd and 3 at SEA 3 F.Gore left tackle to SEA 4 for -1 yards (M.McCoy).
3rd and 4 at SEA 4 (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SEA 1 for 3 yards (K.Chancellor, K.Wright).
4th and 1 at SEA 1 D.Akers 18 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 10 19
D.Akers kicks 65 yards from SF 35 to end zone, Touchback.
DRIVE TOTALS: SEA 10, SF 19, 15 plays, 52 yards, 9:01 elapsed

Harbaugh doesn't trust Smith and never opened up the playbook, yet our last offensive possession(besides the 2 knees) starts off with a pass and continued to be 3 out of 5 passes in the first 5 plays of a very critical drive? Looks to me that Harbaugh puts the game in Smiths hands. But I guess facts lie. Come on Cohn and NT you can do much better than that. Check the T.O.P as well.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM ]
Grant > Lowell
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Grant > Lowell

Without a doubt.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Grant > Lowell

Without a doubt.

Tells you what you want to hear, because that's what sells: Maiacco, Grant Cohn, Barrows, Branch

Calls things as they see them: Kawakami, Lowell Cohn, Knapp, Lynch, and most ESPN and SI analysts
Originally posted by Shaj:
Grant > Lowell

Without a doubt.

Tells you what you want to hear, because that's what sells: Maiacco, Grant Cohn, Barrows, Branch

Calls things as they see them: Kawakami, Lowell Cohn, Knapp, Lynch, and most ESPN and SI analysts

Kawakami is bombastic, but makes some good points. Cohn is just awful, regardless. As for the national folks, I don't give them much credence since they do not scrutinize the team like the local media does.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Grant > Lowell

Without a doubt.

Kawakami is bombastic, but makes some good points. Cohn is just awful, regardless. As for the national folks, I don't give them much credence since they do not scrutinize the team like the local media does.

I am convinced that Maiacco, Grant Cohn, Barrows, and Branch all view their jobs as a beauty contest. The more they write what fans want to hear, the happier their bosses are, the happier their customers are, and in their minds, the greater their potential to get snapped up by ESPN, SI, etc for a real gig, and with the comfort of knowing that their fan base will support them in their new capacity. It's not that complicated really. It's just like teachers that focus on getting their kids to score high on standardized tests instead of teaching them what they need to know, for the exclusive purpose of looking good themselves.
I am convinced that Maiacco, Grant Cohn, Barrows, and Branch all view their jobs as a beauty contest. The more they write what fans want to hear, the happier their bosses are, the happier their customers are, and in their minds, the greater their potential to get snapped up by ESPN, SI, etc for a real gig, and with the comfort of knowing that their fan base will support them in their new capacity. It's not that complicated really. It's just like teachers that focus on getting their kids to score high on standardized tests instead of teaching them what they need to know, for the exclusive purpose of looking good themselves.

what do those guys write that fans "want to hear"? Examples of what you mean?

They are beat-writers. They have a different job than columnists or TV analysts. You know that, right?

And I am convinced that Lowell needs to generate interest and uses negative articles to do so. It's not uncommon, similar to Jim Rome calling people names so they will get mad and react. There is so much out their to read we can all be selective and I usually limit myself to articles with longer range thinking, rather than game by game commentary, which is meaningless for the most part...on either or any side. Reading the zone helps me avoid hit pieces like this one.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
49ers last drive...

San Francisco 49ers at 14:55 SEA SFO
1st and 10 at SF 27 A.Smith pass short left to F.Gore to SF 33 for 6 yards (E.Thomas). Caught at SF 30. YAC 3-yds
2nd and 4 at SF 33 F.Gore right guard to SF 34 for 1 yard (K.Wright).
3rd and 3 at SF 34 A.Smith pass short right to B.Edwards to SF 46 for 12 yards (E.Thomas). Caught SF 41. YAC 5-yds
1st and 10 at SF 46 T.Ginn left end pushed ob at SF 46 for no gain (C.Clemons).
2nd and 10 at SF 46 A.Smith pass deep right to J.Morgan to SEA 28 for 26 yards (K.Chancellor). Caught at SEA 30. YAC 2-yds
1st and 10 at SEA 28 F.Gore right guard to SEA 23 for 5 yards (A.Curry). PENALTY on SF-J.Morgan, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at SEA 23.
1st and 15 at SEA 33 F.Gore left end to SEA 32 for 1 yard (A.Branch).
2nd and 14 at SEA 32 A.Snyder reported in as eligible. F.Gore left tackle to SEA 16 for 16 yards (B.Browner, K.Wright). PENALTY on SEA-L.Hill, Horse Collar Tackle, 8 yards, enforced at SEA 16.
1st and 8 at SEA 8 K.Hunter left end to SEA 4 for 4 yards (K.Chancellor).
Timeout #1 by SEA at 09:07.
2nd and 4 at SEA 4 A.Smith pass incomplete short left to B.Edwards [C.Clemons].
3rd and 4 at SEA 4 A.Boone reported in as eligible. F.Gore right tackle to SEA 2 for 2 yards (C.Clemons).
1st and 1 at SEA 1 A.Boone reported in as eligible. F.Gore left tackle to SEA 3 for -2 yards (K.Chancellor).
2nd and 3 at SEA 3 F.Gore left tackle to SEA 4 for -1 yards (M.McCoy).
3rd and 4 at SEA 4 (Shotgun) F.Gore up the middle to SEA 1 for 3 yards (K.Chancellor, K.Wright).
4th and 1 at SEA 1 D.Akers 18 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 10 19
D.Akers kicks 65 yards from SF 35 to end zone, Touchback.
DRIVE TOTALS: SEA 10, SF 19, 15 plays, 52 yards, 9:01 elapsed

Harbaugh doesn't trust Smith and never opened up the playbook, yet our last offensive possession(besides the 2 knees) starts off with a pass and continued to be 3 out of 5 passes in the first 5 plays of a very critical drive? Looks to me that Harbaugh puts the game in Smiths hands. But I guess facts lie. Come on Cohn and NT you can do much better than that. Check the T.O.P as well.

how do we know that the problem is harbaughdoesnt trust his oli---niners had alot of 3 step drops vs the seakawks
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:

in particular, they are afraid to call out Smith, beause they know there will be a fan revolt, which will eventually cost them either their current job or their future job. The other guys I mentioned do not have such worries. They don't give the alexcuses party line which keeps fans happy and supportive, they call it as they see it, whatever the consequences may be, which in L Cohn's case, includes endless ridicule. I admire him for not caring and saying what he believes instead of telling fans what they want to believe in order to keep hope alive.

in particular, they are afraid to call out Smith, beause they know there will be a fan revolt, which will eventually cost them either their current job or their future job. The other guys I mentioned do not have such worries. They don't give the alexcuses party line which keeps fans happy and supportive, they call it as they see it, whatever the consequences may be, which in L Cohn's case, includes endless ridicule. I admire him for not caring and saying what he believes instead of telling fans what they want to believe in order to keep hope alive.

oh, conjecture and assumption and biased viewpoint. what a surprise.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

oh, sarcasm and ridicule of other posters, what a surprise.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
The article was complete crap. How does he have a job?

the same reason Alex has one
Share 49ersWebzone