There are 157 users in the forums

Justin Smith, one of the all-time best 49er defensive linemen appreciation thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Back to "Justin"

With 5 days to go to the draft - I'm sure he let Trent/JT know his plans.

he's not the kind of guy to leave his friends hanging through FA and the Draft.

IMO, he's coming back and will not be at TC or at least the full camp

This!
i still say he and they already know
Back to "Justin"

If he is coming back we still need to draft a DE, our depth doesnt look that great
Originally posted by Constantine:
Back to "Justin"

If he is coming back we still need to draft a DE, our depth doesnt look that great

Absolutely agree that we must get a DE in this draft.

I'm thinking sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping we move up and get Henry Anderson
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Back to "Justin"

This!
i still say he and they already know

Yup, I'm pretty sure he's gonna pull a Strahan, and I'm pretty sure JT knows all about it.
Justin's decision has Zero impact on this years draft, anyway. Our FO is hopefully not reactionary when it comes to the draft. I'd imagine they expected him to retire either this year or the next. That's why we drafted an injured Tank, IMO. Whether or not it pans out is another question entirely.
Absolutely agree that we must get a DE in this draft.

I'm thinking sooner rather than later.

I'm hoping we move up and get Henry Anderson

I don't think they must get one. Justin, Dockett, Tank and Dial is a solid group. Still have TJE Okoye and Ramsay as developing guys. Not a lot of room for a rookie.

2016 is probably when they prioritize DL.
[ Edited by ElephantHaley on Apr 27, 2015 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
What if he completely falls off in years 2 & 3? Cant just look at this season is all Im saying.

I think he will do decent this year as part of that rotation 800-1000 yards, years 2 and 3 of his contract… not so sure. He'll have to stay injury free at his age to keep up those numbers cause his body won't heal like it used to. Regardless I'll still root for him, but I also agree with not resigning him if he wanted 3 years $12m from the FO.

But back to Smith… This looks like the typical veteran business play, flirt with retirement but then show up when needed. I think Strahan did that for awhile too.

Yeah but regardless of anything, his leadership and skills is pricless and we need it this year. Our defence needs it more then ever and our rotation. Our DL has proven we need depth and if we are lucky to have Justin Smith one more year, we are blessed
I just don't understand all of the retriement talk.

JSmith still plays at a pro bowl level.

It almost feels forced upon just because of his "old age."
They used it as a smokescreen so everyone thinks we go DL first and someone hopefully bites on Armstead

Originally posted by NinerGM:
From Maiocco

4. Defensive line - Coach Jim Tomsula calls it the deepest line he has seen with the 49ers in his eight seasons as the position coach. The 49ers believe they have prepared for Justin Smith's eventual departure for the past couple of years, so they are not counting on his return. They signed Darnell Dockett in the offseason. Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial and Tony Jerod-Eddie all return. Still, the 49ers could use a game-changing type of talent to add to this group.

We have a solid rotation. But we need THAT GUY.

Hopefully Tank can fill that void. He looks pretty good in his limited time.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Lmao. The only reason I'm okay with the delay (assuming that the niners know the true status of Smith) is that it convolutes our draft priorities, making it harder for others to predict. Still, that GIF is hilarious
I am surprised no one posted this yesterday

95.7 The GAME @957thegame

@Eric_Branch tells @townsendradio that he believes the #49ers DE Justin Smith will return for the 2015 season.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Personally, I would give Justin Smith the "Anthony Gonzalez Treatment" during the Mini Camp and Training Camp..

Allow the guy to attend and workout, but exclude him from the overall "training" camp and allow him to stay fresh..
Originally posted by 9moon:
Personally, I would give Justin Smith the "Anthony Gonzalez Treatment" during the Mini Camp and Training Camp..

Allow the guy to attend and workout, but exclude him from the overall "training" camp and allow him to stay fresh..

New defense, though. Can't really pull a Strahan as easily with a new scheme/terminology. If the DL techniques/stunts aren't that different, they can always get him a playbook while he "decides"
Share 49ersWebzone