LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Justin Smith, one of the all-time best 49er defensive linemen appreciation thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by fryet:
I found this quote funny:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/eric-reid-even-justin-smiths-wife-wants-him-to-come-back/

The effort to get him back apparently has some help on the inside as well with Reid reporting that Smith's wife is also in favor of her husband strapping on the gear for another year in the trenches.

When your wife says that she wants you to go back to work, it means that you aren't fun to be around in the house.

Or that an extra 8 million will come in handy down the road.

Women aren't interested in money.

Justin Smith has been one hell of a player and a leader, if he retires, I think it's going to say a lot about the chances of the 49ers for next season. If Justin believes the 49ers have a shot at winning it all next season I don't think he retires but, if he doesn't think the team has a shot he's probably gone. I think his retirement goes far beyond losing Justin Smith, it's going to tell everyone what the state of the franchise really is.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Justin smith should just listen to his wife and come back!
He'll be back for the first game of the regular season.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Justin Smith has been one hell of a player and a leader, if he retires, I think it's going to say a lot about the chances of the 49ers for next season. If Justin believes the 49ers have a shot at winning it all next season I don't think he retires but, if he doesn't think the team has a shot he's probably gone. I think his retirement goes far beyond losing Justin Smith, it's going to tell everyone what the state of the franchise really is.

I believe that as well, a player of Justin's caliber isn't gonna waste his last year on a sorry ass team or mediocre 8-8 team. But I honestly believe if Kap steps up and the coaching staff is legit we can make a run at the sb and that's putting all my homerism aside. This team is still very talented and will be even more so after the draft
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

I believe that as well, a player of Justin's caliber isn't gonna waste his last year on a sorry ass team or mediocre 8-8 team. But I honestly believe if Kap steps up and the coaching staff is legit we can make a run at the sb and that's putting all my homerism aside. This team is still very talented and will be even more so after the draft
he'll come back. he wouldve announced it if he was retiring already. savvy veteran move to stay out of training camp. these dudes train all year long on their own. he'll be ready to go when bullets start flying
I think we should just tell Justin to take off all off season come in around pre-season or at the end of the pre-season. Tell him to keep in shape and work out on his own or come in and work out but there really isn't too much need for him to practice. It might set a bad example for other players but anyone of his stature has earned the right to wait last minute to decide. Part of me does want him to retire because if he doesn't Carradine doesnt get to start until next year (his last year under contract) and it could very well kill his career here. So as much as he has earned that right in a way it wouldnt be fair to the player who earned the start (carradine, dial etc). I'm fine either way; there are pros and cons for both.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 11, 2015 at 10:28 PM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

We won't know the state of this team until September no matter what the media says. They all had DAL in last place last year with absolutely no defense yet they were nearly the NFC representative in the Super Bowl if not for a horrible call vs GB
You got to wonder what Cowboy might be thinking after seeing our regular season schedule. It would be great if he could decide before the draft.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
You got to wonder what Cowboy might be thinking after seeing our regular season schedule. It would be great if he could decide before the draft.

Don't think he cares tbph. Don't even understand why so many fans care either, just lined up that the 1st and 2nd toughest divisions are playing each other.

Got a feeling he will be back but doesn't want to go through all the offseason stuff like many vets close to retirement. Wait till the last second, let some of the younger guys get reps and then step in when game time comes.

Originally posted by NJNiner:

He doesn't need to decide before the draft. The team has been preparing for his retirement the last three years so they're ready to move forward regardless of what he does and it keeps the rest of the league guessing as to whether a D-lineman is really the greatest need early in the draft or not.
What's his deal?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
What's his deal?

taking his time, no big deal,, i still say he knows what he is going to do and so does the team, we will find out in good time, no big deal,
Originally posted by fryet:
I found this quote funny:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/eric-reid-even-justin-smiths-wife-wants-him-to-come-back/

The effort to get him back apparently has some help on the inside as well with Reid reporting that Smith's wife is also in favor of her husband strapping on the gear for another year in the trenches.

When your wife says that she wants you to go back to work, it means that you aren't fun to be around in the house.

She's right. He'll have to do the veteran minimum as far as practice and play in as many snaps as he wants in a low pressure situation.
I think it may be time to hang them up and let the young guys get after it. His production seemed to decrease last year anyway.

Bill Walsh always said; a year to early is better than a year to late, right?
Share 49ersWebzone