There are 194 users in the forums

Justin Smith, one of the all-time best 49er defensive linemen appreciation thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by REB4:
Justin is like a mix between Bryant Young and Kevin Faagan. Young was tough and physically gifted & relentless and Kevin was strong & and a brawler that would physically beat up OLinemen. Bryant would be in the HOF already if he played for an East Coast team. Would have been great to see BY & Justin play in a 3-4 defense together.

If BY was a Steeler there would be no doubt about his HOF credentials. He was the best DL of his era for many years running. Got so little recognition, a lot of his best years were on some of the worst Niners teams.
Matt Barrows: Justin Smith to meet with Tomsula this week; 49ers will host Darnell Dockett

"Smith remains one of the top defensive linemen in the league and the 49ers want him back. Still, he's dealt with injuries -- to his triceps tendon, his shoulder and his back -- in each of the last three years. Smith apparently has contemplated retirement in previous seasons.

When the 2014 season ended, it seemed as if Smith, 35, had played his last snap. The Showtime series "Inside the NFL" even reported that Smith had retired. That wasn't the case, and in the two months since there has been cautious optimism that the 49ers' right defensive end might return for one more campaign.

For one, Smith has been training regularly, including at the 49ers' practice facility. On Monday, he was preparing for a bleacher workout at San Jose State with Haralson, a former 49ers teammate who now plays for the Saints, and former teammate Ray McDonald, who is a free agent."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article11931593.html#storylink=cpy
Love to see Darnell Dockett and Justin Smith lined up next to each other even if it is in the twilight of their careers. With Lynch and Aldon coming off the edges this could be awesome!
Ah, that'd be rich. I always liked his talk on twitter and while its not quite sticking it to the Seahawks, it'd be fun to see him in a Niners jersey for the vet minimum (or close).
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Yeah the Ray Mac $ is killer. That money would be so helpful to have

Might as well bring Ray Mac back if he's still gonna be paid and at a position of need.

Technically we would never see that $4.6M in dead money, his cap number was about $1M higher than that, so we saved $1M.
Dockett will be in tonight for a talk
Dockett - NT - Justin = WOW!
Even if by the grace of God we sign Dockett and Smith returns, we need to draft a DT with our first pick. But didn't dockett miss the entire year last year?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Even if by the grace of God we sign Dockett and Smith returns, we need to draft a DT with our first pick. But didn't dockett miss the entire year last year?

He did, but it wasn't that long ago he quite productive. He played well in his last season he wasn't injured. Could be worth a flyer, he doesn't have a long injury history. If the tear is clean and was repaired successfully there shouldn't be too many lingering issues (none really).

Still, he's a guy who is definitely slowing down and isn't that much younger than Justin. We definitely need more young depth along the DL.

Agree on drafting DLine - need for a fast, mean and tough guy.

I'm for Eddie Goldman 6'4" 336

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Agree on drafting DLine - need for a fast, mean and tough guy.

I'm for Eddie Goldman 6'4" 336

This is who I want
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Might as well bring Ray Mac back if he's still gonna be paid and at a position of need.

i'm in this camp
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Yeah the Ray Mac $ is killer. That money would be so helpful to have

I still cannot believe that after that jack ass up in New England there has not been a committed horrible crime clause added to the cap rules.
Right next to Bryant Young
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Constantine:
Right next to Bryant Young

the best was a tie with cedrick hardman and charles haley. i would hate to live on the difference. justin of course in top 7.
Share 49ersWebzone