LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

Justin Smith, one of the all-time best 49er defensive linemen appreciation thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by crake49:
I know what Justin's thinking of... He's wondering if he will be a full time starter, or will the team make him a part time performer due to his motor...

he's also thinking of just how good will the team be.. he almost do not want to come back and give one more year of his sweat and tears on a team that may be heading at the wrong direction...

no doubt Justin Smith may just be the teams TOP 3 all time best DL..

can you imagine him had he played w/the 80s and 90s 49ers??

The '89 team, which nobody could even begin to run on, had Pierce Holt, Kevin f*gen, Pete Kugler, Larry Roberts and Daniel Stubbs on the line with Charles Haley rushing the passer. At the time, Kevin f*gen was widely considered to be the strongest player in the league. He was an animal. Pierce Holt was pro-bowl quality. Yep. Justin Smith would have fit in just fine on that defense and it was one of the best in franchise history.

Edit: Mods, there has to be a way for Niner fans to type out Kevin f*gen's name without triggering the language filter.

Was Kugler still with the team then??

Must have been a backup, because I remember Michael Carter being in his prime still...

and personally, i hink Justin Smith is a combination of both Holt's non-stop motor and f*gan's brute and strenght!!

You're right. Kugler was backing up Carter. How could I have left Carter off the list - he may be the best NT the team ever had. That defense ended up #1 against the rush that year. I can't remember anyone running on them successfully.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
.. and this is the reason why the great Bill Walsh believed that you can not have too many DL in the league.. and even after the 89 season, we still went out to sign Jim Burt who was really past his prime, but the fact that he was a veteran, the team just benefited form him and Matt Millen that year on how to prepare and stay hungry..
.. and this is the reason why the great Bill Walsh believed that you can not have too many DL in the league.. and even after the 89 season, we still went out to sign Jim Burt who was really past his prime, but the fact that he was a veteran, the team just benefited form him and Matt Millen that year on how to prepare and stay hungry..

Obviously, Walsh was a brilliant innovator, but I think Seifert had a lot to do with that too. Seifert is widely regarded as the first DC to make wide-spread use of situational substitutions on the D-line. There were always guys running in and out to stay fresh. And back in those days, all they had to do is ask Debartolo for a couple more top D-linemen and they'd get them.
Maybe its time for Justin to move on. I'm not sure how much he'll make this coming year, but we could probably use the money to sign one of our young guys to an extention. I think there is zero chance we make it to the Superbowl so we might at well secure our future. Plus, Justin is still effective, but i dont think he'll be the force he was in 2011 and 2012. That was pretty much his peak years with us.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Maybe its time for Justin to move on. I'm not sure how much he'll make this coming year, but we could probably use the money to sign one of our young guys to an extention. I think there is zero chance we make it to the Superbowl so we might at well secure our future. Plus, Justin is still effective, but i dont think he'll be the force he was in 2011 and 2012. That was pretty much his peak years with us.

Well considering he led the team I'm hurries last year I'd say he still is a force
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Well considering he led the team I'm hurries last year I'd say he still is a force

I looked it up. I guess we would owe him 6 million. If he retires, I'm not sure how that number changes. I guess its better he stays. On the flip side, we are going to pay RayMac 4.5mm in dead money...

I looked it up. I guess we would owe him 6 million. If he retires, I'm not sure how that number changes. I guess its better he stays. On the flip side, we are going to pay RayMac 4.5mm in dead money...

Yeah the Ray Mac $ is killer. That money would be so helpful to have

Technically we wouldn't have that money, since McDonald cost more than $4.5M in cap for 2015, we saved a little over $1M by cutting him.

Also Cowboy would save $4.25M if retired.
  • bors
  • Veteran
By vs cowboy death match.......who would win
Originally posted by bors:
By vs cowboy death match.......who would win

The fans.

The money's not dead. It just woke up, though, and it can't remember a thing.
One would think the 49ers would have an answer this week considering FA starts next Monday. Maybe not...

As a GM I would want to know on the event of FA
Eve of FA... not event.
please stay

Might as well bring Ray Mac back if he's still gonna be paid and at a position of need.
Share 49ersWebzone