LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Justin Smith, one of the all-time best 49er defensive linemen appreciation thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by father49er:
Michael Carter, Keven f*gan, Pierce Holt, and great Niner tackles of past are all in awe.

Stubby and BY just chopped liver?

It's easier to read in bold.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Link

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride accused 49ers defensive tackle Justin Smith of using illegal tactics in becoming such a pest to the Giants and other clubs.

"Smith is a beast on the inside, he's strong, he does as good a job of grabbing a hold of offensive linemen and allowing those twists to take place," Gilbride told New York media in a transcript provided by the Giants.

"He never gets called for it so he gets away with murder.

"That, in conjunction with the ability level they have, makes them as formidable as anybody we go against, and we go against some pretty good ones in Dallas' and Philadelphia's."

Smith sacked Eli Manning on the Giants' penultimate possession in the NFC Championship game, and Smith batted down a fourth-down pass to preserve a 49ers' regular-season win over the Giants.

Smith is consistently drawing double teams this season, and although he doesn't have any sacks, he has a team-high 27 quarterback pressures.

"There's nothing wrong with him. He's still applying good pressure," 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said. "Teams have thrown the ball quickly on us at times.

"I haven't felt during any of the games like, 'damn, where's our pass rush?' And until I feel that then we don't have a problem."
lol he grabs their Oline?

The Oline is supposed to be the ones grabbing the DL. lol
Players, in this weeks issue of SI, voted Justin Smith the most Underrated player in the NFL.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I hope Smith reads this article.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I hope Smith reads this article.

Tweet it to Patrick Willis
jj watt is the best 3-4 dlineman...

• Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
jj watt is the best 3-4 dlineman...

Gilbride is pretty much overrated. The giants as a whole are. They got hot at the right time last year. They were not the better team last year. Im really thinking this is gonna be a blowout. What good could come from talking s**t about justin smith? Thats simply stupid!
giants run a p***y ass offensive scheme, will not be a problem

Link

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride accused 49ers defensive tackle Justin Smith of using illegal tactics in becoming such a pest to the Giants and other clubs.

"Smith is a beast on the inside, he's strong, he does as good a job of grabbing a hold of offensive linemen and allowing those twists to take place," Gilbride told New York media in a transcript provided by the Giants.

Haven't really looked at that part but on the other end trust me guys get away with holding Smith all the time. He seems to be the most held player on the team by far. It hardly ever gets called.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM ]
Justin's do for a massive game.

Can't wait to see him put a few Giant O-lineman on there butts en route to that fairy Eli.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Haven't really looked at that part but on the other end trust me guys get away with holding Smith all the time. He seems to be the most held player on the team by far. It hardly ever gets called.

Absolutely. I hope this backfires on this jacka** and the refs start watching Justin more often, just to see how much he gets held
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:
Justin's do for a massive game.

Can't wait to see him put a few Giant O-lineman on there butts en route to that fairy Eli.

Yeah, I'm starting him DL in my IDP fantasy league. Get emem Cowboy!
Link

"That, in conjunction with the ability level they have, makes them as formidable as anybody we go against, and we go against some pretty good ones in Dallas' and Philadelphia's."

Smith sacked Eli Manning on the Giants' penultimate possession in the NFC Championship game, and Smith batted down a fourth-down pass to preserve a 49ers' regular-season win over the Giants.

Smith is consistently drawing double teams this season, and although he doesn't have any sacks, he has a team-high 27 quarterback pressures.

"There's nothing wrong with him. He's still applying good pressure," 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said. "Teams have thrown the ball quickly on us at times.

"I haven't felt during any of the games like, 'damn, where's our pass rush?' And until I feel that then we don't have a problem."

First of all, how the hell would it help Justin to hold an O-lineman? Seems like it would make his job even harder in tackling or pass-rushing. Would it more easily free up other defenders to make plays?
Possibly, but still doesn't make a whole lotta sense because I think a 5-technique DL like Justin would do all he can to beat the OL's attempts to block him.
Share 49ersWebzone