LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Official Bill Walsh Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
I would like to think so, but the Giants of that era where our toughest rival. They also held us with out a td in 1985 & 1986 playoffs.

Yeah. The Giants were like the bad boy pistons. They used hard hitting to get into your head and they even got into the niners heads at times.
Originally posted by socalniner:
our offense is so predictable, defenses script our first 15 plays

Exactly. Roman/Harbaugh were very predictable, even down to the snap count. While Walsh's offense had defenses scratching their heads the first couple of seasons.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Jan 26, 2015 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by socalniner:
our offense is so predictable, defenses script our first 15 plays

Exactly. Roman/Harbaugh were very predictable, even down to the snap count. While Walsh's offense had defenses scratching their heads the first couple of seasons.

True. But Walsh also was great at in-game changes in tactics and at times even installed new plays right in the middle of games. The NFL films highlight piece about the Super Bowl after the '84 season is a great example. They show how Walsh noticed during the game that the Dolphins middle linebackers would follow a running back out to the flat. So, Walsh designed a new play right on the spot that had both running backs immediately sprint out to their respective sides. The Dolphins LB's both followed their running back assignments which left a huge hole in the middle that he had Russ Francis slide into after a short hesitation - the result was a 20 yard gain or something that had the Dolphin coaches scratching their heads.
Some youngster tried to correct me when I said "we were lucky to have Walsh" ...he tore after me saying "Luck didn't have anything to do with it, Walsh came here because we were rich in talent" ....this from a snot nosed punk who had no idea who Randy Cross, Dwight Hicks or Russ Francis was? ...I refuse to be corrected by young bandwagon Jumpers
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Jan 28, 2015 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Some youngster tried to correct me when I said "we were lucky to have Walsh" ...he tore after me saying "Luck didn't have anything to do with it, Walsh came here because we were rich in talent" ....this from a snot nosed punk who had no idea who Randy Cross, Dwight Hicks or Russ Francis was? ...I refuse to be corrected by young bandwagon Jumpers

That guy needs a history lesson...Rich in talent? That's hilarious, the team he took over was 2-14 in 1978 and might be one of the worst teams ever. Hell, they where 2-14 in his first year in '79. Walsh built this from the ground up. Just looking back at the stats on offense, the 1978 team averaged 253 ypg. In walshs first year he almost increased that output by 100 ypg. They finished with 348 ypg in 1979.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 28, 2015 at 7:51 AM ]

That guy needs a history lesson...Rich in talent? That's hilarious, the team he took over was 2-14 in 1978 and might be one of the worst teams ever. Hell, they where 2-14 in his first year in '79. Walsh built this from the ground up.

yup ... lot of these young wagon jumpers hate being told they are wrong
yup ... lot of these young wagon jumpers hate being told they are wrong

I came on board in 1987 (7-8 years old), so I didn't get to witness most of the walsh era first hand. However, thru books, playbooks, interviews and every video of old games I could find, I've been able to get a handle on the early Walsh days. Im disappointed I didn't get to see it first hand, but I feel fortunate to have seen the last decade + (87-98) of the dynasty days.
Giants were hardcore back then, remember watching us grind out a 7-3 in 90'
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
I don't know if he had 5 more years left in him, he did coach stanford for '92-'94. If he would have just coached those 3 years that would have got us thru 1991 and I'm willing to bet Mike Holmgren would have been the next HC. Word was seifert was attached to be the next cleveland or denver HC for the 1989 season.

Would the niners have 3 peated in 90 if he was there?

I would like to think so, but the Giants of that era where our toughest rival. They also held us with out a td in 1985 & 1986 playoffs.

the real story to that was..

Seifert was heading to Cleveland for an interview and when Eddie D found out that the Browns will more likely hire Seifert, Eddie D wanted Jimmy Johnson and he wanted him on the phone at that very minute..

Bill Walsh scrapped the idea and told Eddie that with the team being young and steady, the 49ers need a coach that would just continue the system...
I came on board in 1987 (7-8 years old), so I didn't get to witness most of the walsh era first hand. However, thru books, playbooks, interviews and every video of old games I could find, I've been able to get a handle on the early Walsh days. Im disappointed I didn't get to see it first hand, but I feel fortunate to have seen the last decade + (87-98) of the dynasty days.

87 might not have been a bad year to start watching them. That team was stacked and Montana and Rice had maybe their best seasons that year. For me I didn't seriously start watching the NFL in general till 99 but knew who Jim Kelly, Favre, Young, Marino, etc. were in the early and mid 90s. Fell in love with the 49ers when I played an old Madden game one day and seen QB #16 and QB #8 on the same team using the 1990 49ers. From there on I was hooked just off that aspect.

Originally posted by 9moon:
the real story to that was..

Seifert was heading to Cleveland for an interview and when Eddie D found out that the Browns will more likely hire Seifert, Eddie D wanted Jimmy Johnson and he wanted him on the phone at that very minute..

Bill Walsh scrapped the idea and told Eddie that with the team being young and steady, the 49ers need a coach that would just continue the system...

Seifert had it pretty easy in 89 and 90 when he had a ton of players from the 81, 84, and 88 title teams.
does anybody know where you can download the PDF for Bill Walsh's book finding the winning edge?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
does anybody know where you can download the PDF for Bill Walsh's book finding the winning edge?

Try scribd(there's an app or try scribd.com)..they usually have a ton of stuff, I've found 5 or so 49er playbooks are there.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Try scribd(there's an app or try scribd.com)..they usually have a ton of stuff, I've found 5 or so 49er playbooks are there.

Yup. I found it there too a few years back.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/181829506/Finding-the-Winning-Edge-Bill-Walsh#scribd
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yup. I found it there too a few years back.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/181829506/Finding-the-Winning-Edge-Bill-Walsh#scribd

I know there is a 1982 walsh playbook, 1985 walsh playbook, 1991 Holmgren pass install and a 1994 shanahan pass install on there as well.
Share 49ersWebzone