There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No School like the Old School!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2011/09/15/unsung49ers.DTL&object=

Great bit of lore and legend for you younger fans, walk down memory lane for us old timers.
saw that. Awesome!
Outstanding!!! Brought back memories of watching most of these players in the early Eighties when training camp was at Sierra College in Rocklin (I grew up in nearby Roseville). Noticed in Wilson's write up that he was one of six Niners to have four Super Bowl rings. Montana, Lott, and Turner are three more. I cannot think of the other two...help? It is driving me crazy here waiting for my plane to take off.
I remember that back when we were rolling up the championships they would show the Niners a lot here in Memphis, would be nice if Harbaugh can make us that relevant once again.Now we get lambasted with Rams and Cowboys games. At least it works out for me this weekend.
And yes, they did have color film back in those days. It's not like it was the 1930's or 40's.
Where's the Olympic Silver Medalist Michael Carter
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
And yes, they did have color film back in those days. It's not like it was the 1930's or 40's.

I was 9 when The Catch happened, I watched the game with my grandfather who has been a Cowboys fan since they got their franchise in 60. I know I made him mad because I went apes**t crazy when Clark brought that one down. It might not have been black and white, but it sure is different watching the games on a 42" flat screen than the old Magnavox,lol.
Originally posted by NavyNinerFan:
Outstanding!!! Brought back memories of watching most of these players in the early Eighties when training camp was at Sierra College in Rocklin (I grew up in nearby Roseville). Noticed in Wilson's write up that he was one of six Niners to have four Super Bowl rings. Montana, Lott, and Turner are three more. I cannot think of the other two...help? It is driving me crazy here waiting for my plane to take off.

I looked it up..Sapulu and Eric Wright were the other two.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:

Does this mean Alex Smith photos will be shot with rose colored glasses?
Thanks, it sure did bring back so very fond memories. I lived in Squaw Valley back then and every summer we'd drive down 80 to Rocklin and watch some practices, then go over to Cattlemens and pig out.

And all those players who weren't high draft picks that flat out kicked butt. Lawrence Talor [the real LT] said the one player who he couldn't beaqt was jon Ayers, Dwaine Board was so underrated as were the others.

Hopefully, we are now building a new dynasty.

Thanks again.

You never know what you have till its gone. GO NINERS
oh man. good stuff. if memory serves me correct, pierce holt was blind in one eye, right?
Originally posted by 76Razor:
oh man. good stuff. if memory serves me correct, pierce holt was blind in one eye, right?

no, left.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
no, left.

i see what you did there.
Approaching the end I was thinking, "What about Pierce Holt and Kevin f*gan?" Then lo and behold #15. Because of a knee injury his stay was short but Chet Brooks is another one I wouldn't have minded seeing there.
[ Edited by swarthymongol on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by swarthymongol:
Approaching the end I was thinking, "What about Pierce Holt and Kevin f*gan?" Then lo and behold #15. Because of a knee injury his stay was short but Chet Brooks is another one I wouldn't have minded seeing there.

i think it was a bad shoulder that did in chet. i really like him. no tom holmoe love?