LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Do you believe that Harbaugh was not showing much because we were playing Seattle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you believe that Harbaugh was not showing much because we were playing Seattle?

we are what we are
Originally posted by ace130:
If it wasnt for ginn we couldnt of loss the game

this
Does anyone out there actually think Harbaugh cares about anything more or less than winning?
  • dj43
I think the major part was that Harbaugh did not feel he needed to bring the whole package. As evidence of that I submit the plays and play calling that they ran against both Oakland and San Diego in pre-season. In those games the offense ran a dozen or more plays that were right out of the WCO manual, and they ran them very well. However, against Seattle we saw none of that dozen or so plays. Therefore, the case cannot be made that "he did not trust _________ (fill in the blank)."

Harbaugh has always had a run-heavy offense to go along with the passing game. He also plays it very close to the vest when ever asked about it. Bill Walsh did much the same thing. He ALWAYS held back certain plays and even series of plays until he really needed them. One of his books details his strategies in that area.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
JH is gonna have to show his package this week, cant keep hiding it forever.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by ace130:
If it wasnt for ginn we couldnt of loss the game

this

So we would have won without Ginn? Does the op even understand what he said?
  • dj43
Originally posted by billbird2111:
He showed as much of the playbook as he needed to show to win the game.

Boys and girls, Bill Walsh did the same thing. Every week the ol' ball coach showed off something new and original. He just didn't unveil the total package in Week 1.

That way, he kept teams guessing.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Harbaugh revealed less than 25% of what has been installed. Expect to see a few new wrinkles against the Cowpukes.
this
One thing he showed them Joe was the tackle eligible and then in motion, for surprised SEA who moved, thinking our OT moved illegally. Fooled the crap out of them, and me...I know i haven't seen that before. So yeah, there is a lot of the playbook left back at the facility and they are working thru it. Teams who do best in a lockout are great teams who went into a lockout. ie, they know system already...we got 53 guys who don't . Poco a poco...little by little.
Lots of good posts on this thread. I just have a different take on the vanilla offense. I believe that Harbaugh was protecting Alex. Not because he thought that Alex could not make the plays, but just wanted to keep him physically upright. Like Doc said above, the OL was no sure thing in pass protection. He wanted to make sure he he would have his starter around for more than one game. Let's face it, we don't have many options available if he goes down. Just to show how ignorant fans can be, Charger fans booed Norv Sunday for having Rivers play shortball all of the second half with no attempts to Vincent Jackson. The Vikes blitzed on practically every play, so Norv had him dropping the ball off and the Chargers won. Why recklessly risk your $100M QB for the season when all he has to do is take what the defense is giving him. Let's face it, the QB pool in the NFL is pretty lean, and if a starter goes down, the team's season in altered dramatically.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
One thing he showed them Joe was the tackle eligible and then in motion, for surprised SEA who moved, thinking our OT moved illegally. Fooled the crap out of them, and me...I know i haven't seen that before. So yeah, there is a lot of the playbook left back at the facility and they are working thru it. Teams who do best in a lockout are great teams who went into a lockout. ie, they know system already...we got 53 guys who don't . Poco a poco...little by little.

Yes, it was nice to see our coach take full use of the rules and not need to defer to Paraage if something was doable.

Hey, that got a good laugh out of me. Thanks, bud.
Originally posted by susweel:

I cant wait to see his package! Hopefully there is a lot of Crabs and VD on it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by susweel:

I cant wait to see his package! Hopefully there is a lot of Crabs and VD on it.
Originally posted by dj43:

Boys and girls, Bill Walsh did the same thing. Every week the ol' ball coach showed off something new and original. He just didn't unveil the total package in Week 1.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Harbaugh revealed less than 25% of what has been installed. Expect to see a few new wrinkles against the Cowpukes.
this

Harbaugh and Walsh have a major professional trait in common...obsessive play development. JH may add ten plays to his repertoire this week and some of them may find their way into the game on Sunday. They may be minor tweaks on a current play or a revelation from seeing a player's ability to do something during the last game. So those who want to see his "package" are being obtuse. His playbook will never be mastered because it is always being developed.

This applies to play development but also to play calling. Walsh always use to set plays up by running a series of preceding plays that would mislead opposing coaches. Harbaugh does the same thing. I really like JH because he is as obsessed with these aspects of the game as Walsh was. That and his obsession with teaching QBs how to play the game and max their potential.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by dj43:

this

Harbaugh and Walsh have a major professional trait in common...obsessive play development. JH may add ten plays to his repertoire this week and some of them may find their way into the game on Sunday. They may be minor tweaks on a current play or a revelation from seeing a player's ability to do something during the last game. So those who want to see his "package" are being obtuse. His playbook will never be mastered because it is always being developed.

This applies to play development but also to play calling. Walsh always use to set plays up by running a series of preceding plays that would mislead opposing coaches. Harbaugh does the same thing. I really like JH because he is as obsessed with these aspects of the game as Walsh was. That and his obsession with teaching QBs how to play the game and max their potential.
Absolutely correct. Not only within games, but to set up future games. Walsh would often include a play, or a series, that he never intended to use in a game, rather it was only to give the next opponent something to see and prepare for. In effect, Walsh forced them to waste time in practice.

If the newcomers to the 49er train, or for the younger fans here, that is something they need to learn about Walsh and, in turn, Harbaugh. In holding back on his playbook, Harbaugh was channelling typical Walsh stuff. Right now, Jason Garrett and the Cowboy staff have almost nothing to look at in terms of prep. All they have is the Oakland and SD games (more wide open than Sunday but very basic WCO) and old Stanford film. The Cowboys may as well be playing a team from Mars as far as what they really know about their offensive capabilities.
Share 49ersWebzone