LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Do you believe that Harbaugh was not showing much because we were playing Seattle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you believe that Harbaugh was not showing much because we were playing Seattle?

There are only so many plays you can run on any given Sunday! If you have a play book of two hundred plays and only run fifty in the first game, there are quite a few unseen looks left for game two. Harbaugh has probably installed at least two hundred out of the two thousand he is sitting on.

Don't think Harbaugh would hesitate to pick different plays for the first two games and plan a couple of weeks ahead in stategizing his strategery.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
There are only so many plays you can run on any given Sunday! If you have a play book of two hundred plays and only run fifty in the first game, there are quite a few unseen looks left for game two. Harbaugh has probably installed at least two hundred out of the two thousand he is sitting on.

Don't think Harbaugh would hesitate to pick different plays for the first two games and plan a couple of weeks ahead in stategizing his strategery.

Now I posted this on the 90.4 thread, but I found this interesting. It's states they only used 10 plays of the 200. I'm not sure who this guy is but he seems to be able to talk to players, and get some great info. This is from another 9ers board so I hope I don't get b***h slapped but it's a good read as well.
Alex Boone took a lot of questions and gave many good answers. Some of these may be heard for the first time here, though I'm not going to mention anything too personal or anything that might help other teams.
1. Of the 200 or so plays on the QBs armband, the 49ers played only about 10 (5%) of them against the Seahawks. That's been reported before, but it's interesting. There are a lot more things to the new offense and defense that the team is deliberately not showing yet. And they used enough to win.
Again, not sure how credible this guy is, but he has a lot of inside info. Now if we have only ran 5% of our playbook, just think of the possibilities.
http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=119325
I would like to believe it. Would make me feel better about this upcoming game.
I guess I believe Harbaugh was not showing much against Seattle, but not because he's trying to hide or save plays for future opponents. Just the few selected plays were thought to work best against Seattle. The last few times we played them, Gore up-the-middle from the Power-I was pretty much unstoppable. It seems they've improved the d-line enough to prevent Gore from tearing them a new hole. I bet the play selection will be different the next time we play them.
Originally posted by father49er:
I guess I believe Harbaugh was not showing much against Seattle, but not because he's trying to hide or save plays for future opponents. Just the few selected plays were thought to work best against Seattle. The last few times we played them, Gore up-the-middle from the Power-I was pretty much unstoppable. It seems they've improved the d-line enough to prevent Gore from tearing them a new hole. I bet the play selection will be different the next time we play them.

It wasn't the d line it was Earl Thomas spying Gore.
There only 30 real plays on Alex's wristband.

All the extra writing read something like this:

"f**k you Carrol"
"Seattle sucks seacocks"
Lowell totally reads the WZ
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Lowell totally reads the WZ

he is the 1980162433412 guy.
I'm taking the stand that the game was managed brilliantly. We didn't force the issue. We didn't put our players in situations where they could fail. Instead we kept them in situations where the could succeed. As a result we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot and one the game. As a result we didn't show much. I expect Davis and Walker to have a monster day against Dallas. Now that the team has a little more confidence and is playing at home I expect we take a couple extra chances against Dallas. We just have to choose wisely and it should pay off. Play smart, play conservative, stay close, pick up a few third downs to give the d some rest and we should be fine. The last game we played in Dallas was horrible. I was at the game. We had a punt blocked for a safety, an interception, and 2 fumbles. One we recovered. If we don't turn the ball over I know Dallas eventually will and we'll win. I would to see a d touchdown this week. Our number 1 defense in the league needs to kick some ass today. They all better be watching some film right now. I want that back shoulder throw to Dez picked every time. Whitner, Rogers get on that s**t!!!
[ Edited by txninerdad80 on Sep 18, 2011 at 7:06 AM ]
The fact that we had fully functional passing games during the Raider and Chargers games in preseason kinda rules out that Harbaugh has no passing game installed or has no faith in his QB.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The fact that we had fully functional passing games during the Raider and Chargers games in preseason kinda rules out that Harbaugh has no passing game installed or has no faith in his QB.

Naw! That were preseason plays and don't work in regular season games!

How anyone could know of Harbaugh's career at Stanford and think he wouldn't have installed pass plays is beyond my comprehension! How they could think he would try to hide a QB because he doesn't have faith in him is also beyond understanding. He very well might be putting Smith into situations where he can best succeed, with as little risk as possible, which is smart any time. I'm sure Belichek does that with Brady (though he has a proven, broader level of situations with Brady obviously).

We'll see in a few hours what Harbaugh comes up with for Dallas...can't wait!
Share 49ersWebzone