LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Do you believe that Harbaugh was not showing much because we were playing Seattle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you believe that Harbaugh was not showing much because we were playing Seattle?

I keep hearing people say that Harbaugh's offense was not throwing the football down the field, and was very vanilla because Harbaugh believed that we didn't need to score a lot of points against Seattle. Do you guys think that this is true?
No. We just did what we needed to do to win. When you have the lead you want to control the ball, don't turn it over and run out the clock. Not do something stupid. It was the right strategy for the position we were in.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. We just did what we needed to do to win. When you have the lead you want to control the ball, don't turn it over and run out the clock. Not do something stupid. It was the right strategy for the position we were in.

And he doesn't trust Alex Smith.
It was Harbaugh's 1st game as a pro coach too. I'm sure he'll get more aggressive as he gets more trust in Alex and the offense.
We didn't show much because they've probably only practiced 10% of book.... because of the lockout.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by BobS:

this
no. its not the preseason any more. we had a game plan that tried to take advantage of things we should already be good at--the run game, and defense. i think it was a simplified offense that was trying to minimize weaknesses at QB and O-line. it would be silly to think that the team would still be hiding things to the point where they would not use their "good stuff" against the reigning division champ.
I don't believe that. I think it was not trusting the offense with more complicated plays when they may not havebeen necessary.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I keep hearing people say that Harbaugh's offense was not throwing the football down the field, and was very vanilla because Harbaugh believed that we didn't need to score a lot of points against Seattle. Do you guys think that this is true?

I think they really held back on their plays when they were in the red zone. Maybe being up by two scores, they felt that they didn't need to get too creative. Why would you roll out your best plays if your defense is already shutting down the opponent?
I think we actually showed alot but we didn't seem to even try to throw when it counted after we had a lead. We ran alot on 3rd down. The only thing that killed me though was when we were up 16-10 and we just ran ran ran faked out the Seahawks to get a 1st, ran,ran, ran, got a roughing the kicker, ran ran ran and got a field goal with not even the threat of a pass. That was just sad. But hopefully we will move the ball downfield more next week. We certainly showed flashes of deep stuff with big throws to VD and Joshua Morgan.

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by BobS:

this

Either of you have a link for this? Or is it just supposition?

This
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I think the team doesn't know the playbook yet so, he kept it simple.
Yeah obviously the whole playbook was not opened up. It was the first game of the season and Harbaugh's first as an NFL coach after an abbreviated offseason. I'd assume the offense will get more an more varied as the season goes on. I don't think it was anything like "it's Seattle, let's hide all the good stuff."
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Either of you have a link for this? Or is it just supposition?

I'm not disagreeing with you Memphis, but...the play calling is quite evident that this is so imo
Share 49ersWebzone