LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

What about our O-Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Everybody keeps talking about Ginn Jr (he did gave us the W) but what about our O-line, comparing them to the preseason I thought they played great. They give Alex time and he delivered!
Originally posted by Albert49ers:
Everybody keeps talking about Ginn Jr (he did gave us the W) but what about our O-line, comparing them to the preseason I thought they played great. They give Alex time and he delivered!

Now imagine if we had speed at the Wr position, maybe we could have had a 55 yard td from a slant. Ginn is supposed to see more action next week (at wr)
  • Jiks
Fantastic at pass protection, sucked ass at run blocking.
Inconsistent. Can't tell from one week to another. Pass protect or run block.
Coach need tell the Oline must practice to push and keep breath out... And Continues Push forward on the Defense! They need improve if they can do it..
I thought they pass blocked better than normal for a normally terrible group. But they forgot how to run block effectively. So a complete reversal.....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM ]
I thought they played ok but definitely could improve on the run blocking, 6 plays from the 1 yard line and couldnt punch it through against a weak Seattle defense. But it was week 1 and things are always screwy the 1st week of the season... On a side note anyone see what Goodwin just tweeted, "alot of empty seats" was he talking about yesterday, probably I live in Rhode Island and was watching the game pissed off if I lived in San Fran I would be at every game if I could "whats the deal"
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I thought they pass blocked better than normal for a normally terrible group. But they forgot how to run block effectively. So a complete reversal.....

i guess i like this strenght better. i would rather have gore make plays on his own than our qb
  • Chico
  • Veteran
we should be happy that they didn't give up any sacks. Compared to the preseason when we were all screaming for heads to roll...not too bad even though we were playing a bottom dweller. Next week will be a better test.
I'm going HAM, I mean spam.
[ Edited by Otter on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM ]

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Fantastic at pass protection, sucked ass at run blocking.

Exactly. Few holes were opened up in the run game. and overall pass protection looked much improved. But that was with limited attempts. This game vs the cowboys will be a real indicator. Somebody has to block Ware.
Run blocking was not what it usually is and the pass blocking was enough to get the job done.

In terms of run blocking though, I don't think we are giving the Seahawks enough credit. I think they have improved dramatically from two year ago on the defense of side of the ball. I don't think we will see Gore or any team simply running all over them like in years past. Not to mention Gore didn't have his best game either. Can't blame it all on the O-line this time in regards to run blocking.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
Run blocking was not what it usually is and the pass blocking was enough to get the job done.

In terms of run blocking though, I don't think we are giving the Seahawks enough credit. I think they have improved dramatically from two year ago on the defense of side of the ball. I don't think we will see Gore or any team simply running all over them like in years past. Not to mention Gore didn't have his best game either. Can't blame it all on the O-line this time in regards to run blocking.

exactly, this Seahawks D-line is vastly improved. They've got some big strong guys down there, had 8 men in the box, and Earl Thomas was flying around the LOS all day. they made it a point to stop Gore. tough to run on that. I think the word inconsistent best describes them right now. They gave AS time to throw, sure he felt some phantom pressure on a few plays, but if they can continue to pass protect and give AS confidence, the offense will open up.
I didn't think the OL was that solid in pass protection. Alex did what he never did before and that was to get out of there and run foward instead of back and around. That saved a few sacks that we normally give up. The protection didn't always give him good time to read and throw.
Ginn didn't give us the win - he sealed it.

Next, the OL needs lots of work. So goes the OL so goes the offense. You can't run if there are no holes, can't pass if there is no protection and can't game plan without effective OL play.

Instead of lack of confidenc in Alex, like all the one-dimentional haters think, Maybe, just maybe the game plan went this way because of a lack of confidence on the OL.

Think about that.
Share 49ersWebzone