LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

Key Match-ups VS. The Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm still skeptical about our secondary going into next week matching up against the cowboys receiving core.
Personally I'm not looking forward to the Daunte Whitner VS. Jason Witten match-up.
On the other hand, I want to see how well Alex can do against their secondary, after watching Mark Sanchez pass 300+ yards on them.

Thoughts?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
stop DeMarcus Ware!
Their secondary won't matter at all if DeMarcus Ware does what he usually does. I'm pretty worried about that, even though against Chris Clemons et al they did a decent job w/ pass protection.

I'm hopeful that our pass rush can keep the momentum going from yesterday's game.
Our rush offense against their run D. Also, I'd like to see how we matchup against Sean Lee. He played really well the first game, and I think he could cause a lot of problems
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I'm wondering how our defense is going to do to...I mean we just let Tavaris throw TWO TD's against us, so how is Romo going to do? I hope we blitz the hell out of him and pummel his ass into oblivion!
Originally posted by saniner:
Our rush offense against their run D. Also, I'd like to see how we matchup against Sean Lee. He played really well the first game, and I think he could cause a lot of problems

It would be a mismatch anyday if we have Vernon matched up against Sean lee or any of their LB's in passing situations. Hopefully harbaugh has plans in utilizing him more this week.
Originally posted by Chico:
I'm wondering how our defense is going to do to...I mean we just let Tavaris throw TWO TD's against us, so how is Romo going to do? I hope we blitz the hell out of him and pummel his ass into oblivion!

I'm not too worried about our Defense vs their offense. We have the talent to keep up with the better teams in the league in that aspect. I'm more worried about our offense vs their defense and that will cause for very poor field position throughout the game.

I can see us with an average start field position of the 20 yard line and Dallas gets it on their 40 every time due to a lot of 3-and-outs by us.

I think our Defense has a better chance to win the turnover battle but if they are repeatedly stuffing us 3-and-out from our 20, you may as well call those turnovers in the long run due to field position.

Then there's the X-Factor in Ginn. Let's see if he can help us in field position.
Originally posted by DENden223:
I'm still skeptical about our secondary going into next week matching up against the cowboys receiving core.
Personally I'm not looking forward to the Daunte Whitner VS. Jason Witten match-up.
On the other hand, I want to see how well Alex can do against their secondary, after watching Mark Sanchez pass 300+ yards on them.

Thoughts?

If another post had the QB ratings right Sanchez had a 17 or some such (the new and improved ratings). http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/157873-qbr-watch-week-1/

So I would not use him as a measuring stick. I'm more worried about Ware against the 9er OLine.
I think the guy that worries me most about the Cowboys is Dez Bryant. Im not sure what his injury status is, but that dude catches everything. Our secondary is going to have their hands full with Bryant, Austin, and Witten. Hopefully, they are saying the same thing about Edwards, Crab (if playing), and Davis.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Our success depends on how well Alex plays. Alex will need to play mistake-free and will need to drive down the field and score, use his feet if he has to. We'll need to score as many TD's as we can. One thing is for sure....our offense is not yet ready to play catch-up so if the Cowboys are up by a couple TD's in the 4th, we're going to have a tough time.

I'm worried about Bryant and Austin. They are top notch WRs so if you though TJ and their crap WRs played us good, watch out. They could expose our secondary. With Romo's pocket mobility he can burn us bad. We must get him at first rush.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I'm worried about Bryant and Austin. They are top notch WRs so if you though TJ and their crap WRs played us good, watch out. They could expose our secondary. With Romo's pocket mobility he can burn us bad. We must get him at first rush.

Romo has a penchant for making bad decisions and the 9ers D is oportunistic, so I expect a few turn overs. But, he is also capable of great plays and so I think how he plays is most crucial.
Our offense scares me more than anybody's defense. If Alex smith is just a caretaker quarterback ( no mistakes, 100+ yards, hand off a lot ) than you better have a wicked defense and running game, like the superbowl Ravens. Our secondary looks improved, our front seven look good, and our running game can't carry the load by itself. I think our offensive line has a lot to do with why we don't throw the ball down field very much, or run the ball effectively. I guess the match up I would like to see, is our defense versus Tony Romo. Maybe we can force some turnovers. A win against the Cowboys would be great for us right now.
Sort of frustrating watching all these teams take chances in non-ideal situations.

- Raiders throw really deep backed up in their end zone. Is Campbell more capable than Alex? I dont think so. Pretty much the same guy.

- Patriots and Dolphins both playing aggressive. Brady still passing despite game being out of reach. Henne taking chances. Henne = Alex of the east coast.

I understand the need to take chances, play strategically, etc but man...at the end of the day you have to let it rip and take chances. Hopefully we see some aggressiveness on Sunday.
I really hope Spencer is ready to go. Brock and Brown aren't going to cut it vs Bryant and Austin.

Unlesh the big nickle!!!

Seriously though, our secondary will have their hands full. We better get creative with our front 7.
Share 49ersWebzone