LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... 20 TD's in 2 years, nearly 1,000 yards in each of the last 2 seasons with sub par QB's, horrendous offensive coaching and among the worst offensive lines in the leage. Made the Pro Bowl already in his career. Should have made it last year. His #'s were far better than Gonzalez. Gonzalez got in on name regognition alone. The fans are stupid and don't know what is going on. And losing teams players always bear the brunt of unfairness on Pro Bowl voting. He's better than any TE in the league right now. I'd take him above anybody right now. Bar none.

I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... made the pro bowl as an alternate

You could argue he was the best TE in the league the last 2 years with a sub par QB, horrible O Line and worst OC / HC in the league.
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The best TE in football. Period.

Even with my homer glasses on, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Who's better?

Tony Gonzalez production has dropped off a cliff. Antonio Gates is heading that direction (he's 31). Jason Witten is very good but doesn't have the speed or strength of Davis.

Davis is 27, just entering his prime. Even with no improvement at all he will be a mainstay in the Pro Bowl for years if he just stays healthy.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
VD had 20 TD's in 2 years and almost 1,000 yards in each season. Also the best blocker at TE in the league. No doubt the fastest of all TE's in the league. I can't believe anybody would still be doing this. He's not crazy. Just Krizay...

You're right. nd he's a decent player as I said. Just not the player he was/is dubbed to be.

The best blocking TE was/is dubbed by YOU GUYS. He is the fastest TE in the league, which means? Ted Ginn is faster than is faster than Crabs, Braylon & Morgan

He's no where near a revolutionizer. He doesn't even play as tough as you guys make him sound.

After years of excuses and waiting, some of the board is finally realizing.......... VERNON LOOKS LIKE TARZAN PLAYS LIKE JANE!

Been a while krizay, nice to see you're still alive and kicking this VD thing. How's Huff looking these days? Seems to me his backup S got an INT. Where was Huff on that play?
You got me there. Thought it was strange he only had 1. But I stand by my decent statement. As pro bowls and receiving yards doesn't make one an elite player. See Brandon Lloyd last year. Even Gronkowski and mercedes Lewis had 10 TD's last year. That doesn't say much either now does it?

Brandon Lloyd is a horrific example. That's one year.

Pro Bowls and monster numbers matter when they've become a consistent showing for a player. And as I noted, Davis has three straight Pro Bowls, a record setting year where he made NFL History, and back to back years finishing Top 5 in the league, not to mention leading our entire team in receiving with an average QB.

If that's not elite, then what is? Top 5 in the entire NFL isn't good enough? What is elite to you?
Well I have the game recorded and have watched that play and VD was clearly held on the play with his arms being held by the DB which was also reported by Maiocco in his player by player review.

With that being said, yes lets get rid of our pro bowl tight end, I mean we have so many pro bowlers on this team to spare. And while we are at it lets get rid of P WIlly for missing that one tackle, and Justin Smith for not getting all 5 sacks himself. And after Ginns ridiculously slow returns. ony 2 tds in 59 seconds, unacceptable, cut him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
You got me there. Thought it was strange he only had 1. But I stand by my decent statement. As pro bowls and receiving yards doesn't make one an elite player. See Brandon Lloyd last year. Even Gronkowski and mercedes Lewis had 10 TD's last year. That doesn't say much either now does it?

Brandon Lloyd is a horrific example. That's one year.

Pro Bowls and monster numbers matter when they've become a consistent showing for a player. And as I noted, Davis has three straight Pro Bowls, a record setting year where he made NFL History, and back to back years finishing Top 5 in the league, not to mention leading our entire team in receiving with an average QB.

If that's not elite, then what is? Top 5 in the entire NFL isn't good enough? What is elite to you?

Krizay gonna be Krizay.... Haters gonna hate.
I can't believe you are still pushing this thing.... made the pro bowl as an alternate

He was voted in as the starter in the pro bowl. He wasn't an alternate. I think last year he may have been chosen as an alternate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pro_Bowl
Originally posted by btthepunk:

He was voted in as the starter in the pro bowl. He wasn't an alternate. I think last year he may have been chosen as an alternate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Pro_Bowl

He doesn't care about facts.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
VD has gotten decapitated going over the middle for balls thrown into double and triple coverage. Give the guy some slack.

We need to show him some film of Brent Jones going over the middle.
He did pull up a little, IMO, but he was obviously interfered with, and maybe he figured he would get the call and didn't need to talk the hit. IDK. I would really like to see him fight for that catch.

but that was just one play. VD can improve in many ways, but he's still a very good player and usually plays a very physical game, so the play doesn't bother me, except for the PI non-call.

wow he is the best te in the game.....blocking yac speed he has everything and people are complaining.

makes me sick. if he had rivers he would of shattered the 13td record or almost any other qb....he would not only get about 17-18 td s but maybe break the yardage record and receptions record as well. Think mcfly think
oh yeahhh like he is afraid of going over the middle or getting hit....NOT!! he is the strongest te and the best playmaker and literally drags defenders and throws cbs and safeties, so you are all wrong on this one. Thats why troy polamalu went low on him because even he didnt want a piece of VD.
Originally posted by elguapo:
wow he is the best te in the game.....blocking yac speed he has everything and people are complaining.

makes me sick. if he had rivers he would of shattered the 13td record or almost any other qb....he would not only get about 17-18 td s but maybe break the yardage record and receptions record as well. Think mcfly think

Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
Saw that. Didn't really see all the angles on where the ball was, so I'm not 100% sure if it was catch-able( I'll defer to others who could watch it on something other than a laptop on how catch-able it was). Still, I would have liked to see a little more effort to go up for the ball, but I've seen much worse.

I'm with Syber on this one, I'm not worried about Vernon.

this gif AGAIN? i LOVE how people post this gif and laugh it up about "how crappy and stupid Brandon Lloyd was for ducking the ball".

Ive been yelling about this stupid gif for years now. everyone stop and take a good look at the plane of the ball. notice anything? the precise moment Lloyd turns his head to the QB, the referee is directly creating a blind spot. obviously an NFL wr isnt going to just duck and let a ball skim right over his helmet if he saw the pass coming. I cannot believe at how many people dont see this.

/rant

just a webzone pet peeve of mine...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

this gif AGAIN? i LOVE how people post this gif and laugh it up about "how crappy and stupid Brandon Lloyd was for ducking the ball".

Ive been yelling about this stupid gif for years now. everyone stop and take a good look at the plane of the ball. notice anything? the precise moment Lloyd turns his head to the QB, the referee is directly creating a blind spot. obviously an NFL wr isnt going to just duck and let a ball skim right over his helmet if he saw the pass coming. I cannot believe at how many people dont see this.

/rant

just a webzone pet peeve of mine...

main reason why I even posted in this thread. BLloyd gave up his body to make numerous catches but he's still a p***y cause of this gif. While Davis b****ed up ALL GAME yet..........
Share 49ersWebzone