There are 220 users in the forums

20 quarters of football, and 0 passing touchdowns

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver. I am concerned because although it was a good positive play, the pass to Vernon on the sidelines should have been a touchdown if thrown to the correct spot. Instead Alex got incredibly lucky with the unintentional back shoulder throw. I am concerned because Alex looks nervous everytime he drops back to pass and his first option isnt open.

I am pumped we won. I just feel like our passing game is awful, and will continue to be awful unless Alex improves on the little things that separate good QBs from backup quality QBs.

And while I comment Alex for playing a great game manager today, there were clear instances where making a good throw would have resulted in Alex being a playmaker today and not just a game manager. As long as he doesnt lose games for us, we should be in most games. But unfortunately, he isnt going to win many for us either unless he improves dramatically.

The passing game is a major concern for me.

accidental backshoulder throw??? HE put the ball where it needed to be so the defender couldn't make a play on it. As for the open receivers in the endzone I'm assuming you're referring to Crabtree? You do realize that the ball was damn near out of Alex's hand before Crabtree was even open right? AS for being a playmaker, he made plays when they were needed. Look at the TD run, the multiple times he scrambled when the pocket collapsed, the pass to VD over 2 defenders, the pass to morgan splitting 2 defenders.......get it yet? He was asked to manage the game today and make plays when they were needed. He did what was asked of him.

Give me a break. Watch the play again. Vernon had a step and a half on the defender. If he led him, its a touchdown. He missed who I believe was Delanie with an entire side of the field open as well.

The pass to Morgan was a good play. Credit will be given where its due.

And the condescending attitude is unnecessary. Im sorry if I want more out of my QB. Doesnt mean I dont understand what happened. Alex wasnt asked to do a lot. In spite of this, he could have done more. But what I see as him panicking, looking nervous in the pocket and dumping the ball off too early, you see as poise and smart football. Me seeing Alex being held back by playcalling to prevent him from making his common bonehead mistake, you see as Harbaugh only showing enough to win.

We will never see eye to eye on Alex because I clearly expect more out of our quarterback than you do. You think he made a bunch of plays today, I think he made some and missed a bunch. Agree to disagree.
The reason that I PERSONALLY am concerned is because Alex Smith missed a few wide open receivers in the endzone due to panicking and dumping the ball too early, or simply not seeing said receiver. I am concerned because although it was a good positive play, the pass to Vernon on the sidelines should have been a touchdown if thrown to the correct spot. Instead Alex got incredibly lucky with the unintentional back shoulder throw. I am concerned because Alex looks nervous everytime he drops back to pass and his first option isnt open.

I am pumped we won. I just feel like our passing game is awful, and will continue to be awful unless Alex improves on the little things that separate good QBs from backup quality QBs.

And while I comment Alex for playing a great game manager today, there were clear instances where making a good throw would have resulted in Alex being a playmaker today and not just a game manager. As long as he doesnt lose games for us, we should be in most games. But unfortunately, he isnt going to win many for us either unless he improves dramatically.

accidental backshoulder throw??? HE put the ball where it needed to be so the defender couldn't make a play on it. As for the open receivers in the endzone I'm assuming you're referring to Crabtree? You do realize that the ball was damn near out of Alex's hand before Crabtree was even open right? AS for being a playmaker, he made plays when they were needed. Look at the TD run, the multiple times he scrambled when the pocket collapsed, the pass to VD over 2 defenders, the pass to morgan splitting 2 defenders.......get it yet? He was asked to manage the game today and make plays when they were needed. He did what was asked of him.

Give me a break. Watch the play again. Vernon had a step and a half on the defender. If he led him, its a touchdown. He missed who I believe was Delanie with an entire side of the field open as well.

And the condescending attitude is unnecessary. Im sorry if I want more out of my QB. Doesnt mean I dont understand what happened. Alex wasnt asked to do a lot. In spite of this, he could have done more. But what I see as him panicking, looking nervous in the pocket and dumping the ball off too early, you see as poise and smart football. Me seeing Alex being held back by playcalling to prevent him from making his common bonehead mistake, you see as Harbaugh only showing enough to win.

We will never see eye to eye on Alex because I clearly expect more out of our quarterback than you do. You think he made a bunch of plays today, I think he made some and missed a bunch. Agree to disagree.

I can't comment on Walker being open because I don't recall seeing what ever particular play you referring too.....which play are you referring too (that helps out you know).

Alex Smith made the right throw with VD, if he had attempted to throw it in stride like you think he should have then the defender would have had a chance to make a play to either intercept the pass or at the very least deflect it.

When did I say I saw him as poised? I think a lot of the pass plays that were called were designed to be short gain type passes so Alex had to go through his progressions quickly, did he rush some pass plays? Of course.

When did I say that the play calling was Harbaugh only showing enough to win? That doesn't even make sense, what NFL HC does that? I see the conservative play calling for what it was, harbaugh not feeling comfortable with the amount of the playbook that the offense fully understands so he played it safe and just asked Smith to manage the game and not screw it up (we all know that he knows how to do that).

Just FYI EVERY QB makes some and misses some. If they didn't miss any plays then they would be Joe Montana

I can't comment on Walker being open because I don't recall seeing what ever particular play you referring too.....which play are you referring too (that helps out you know).

Alex Smith made the right throw with VD, if he had attempted to throw it in stride like you think he should have then the defender would have had a chance to make a play to either intercept the pass or at the very least deflect it.

When did I say I saw him as poised? I think a lot of the pass plays that were called were designed to be short gain type passes so Alex had to go through his progressions quickly, did he rush some pass plays? Of course.

When did I say that the play calling was Harbaugh only showing enough to win? That doesn't even make sense, what NFL HC does that? I see the conservative play calling for what it was, harbaugh not feeling comfortable with the amount of the playbook that the offense fully understands so he played it safe and just asked Smith to manage the game and not screw it up (we all know that he knows how to do that).

Just FYI EVERY QB makes some and misses some. If they didn't miss any plays then they would be Joe Montana

I never meant you said those things in this thread. I was merely using them as examples as to how we probably see things through different lenses. As far as the holding back goes, no, you didnt say that. But you should see how many people actually said that in the playcalling thread.

The Delanie play I will need to rewatch the game to accurately comment. I was at the game, and I didnt have the chance to watch the recording of it yet.

As far as the back shoulder throw to Vernon goes, you say he threw it where the defender couldnt get it. I agree. But I think had it been thrown where I think it should have, the defender wouldnt have gotten it either. I know it was a big play, but a touchdown would have been a bigger one. To me, it just exemplifies Alex's lack of trust in himself to make a big time NFL throw.

Like I said, Im sure you and I wont agree with a lot of Alex Smith topics, but its fine. Lets just hope he plays at the level that doesnt hold this team back anymore. THis division is ours for the taking!! We just need a better passing game. We have the weapons for it now, thats for sure.
I think it is legitimate concern.

I will give the team a break this week because we came out conservative on offense. However, if we do not have a passing TD by the end of next game, I will be worried.
  • Silky
  • Veteran

I'm pretty sure the perfect back shoulder pass to VD was intentional.
1 - 0 regular season. 1.000 winning percentage.....
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

Even if it was intentional, like I stated earlier, if he leads Vernon, its an easy touchdown. But a one and a half step lead on the defender is not open in Alex's mind. Thats my issue with that play. Id LOVE to see Alex become good at the back shoulder throw. He hasnt been able to throw receivers open at all in 6 years. It just sucks that this particular time he made a good throw will be overshadowed by the fact that he didnt have the moxy, faith in himself, whatever to throw the pass that would have resulted in a touchdown if thrown to the right spot.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

Even if it was intentional, like I stated earlier, if he leads Vernon, its an easy touchdown. But a one and a half step lead on the defender is not open in Alex's mind. Thats my issue with that play. Id LOVE to see Alex become good at the back shoulder throw. He hasnt been able to throw receivers open at all in 6 years. It just sucks that this particular time he made a good throw will be overshadowed by the fact that he didnt have the moxy, faith in himself, whatever to throw the pass that would have resulted in a touchdown if thrown to the right spot.

Alex has thrown over-the-top passes to Vernon a million times before. There is no question or doubt in my mind he could have attempted it and completed it if he thought he could. I think there's good reason to believe he saw something in the coverage that made him not want to risk that. The back shoulder throw was safer, and in that area of the field, it's not the time to be making "I hope" plays. We may all disagree on where he should've thrown it, but I think it's just a case of him trusting his instincts and putting the ball in a certain spot on that play.
Watching the game we looked like the same Niner team that we had under Sing and Nolan. Dick around for 3 quarters and watch the defense fail in the 4th quarter. It's an act that works against the NFC Worse, but once we step foot outside the lousy division we're going to have to step our game up or suffer the same fate we've had for years.

We're 7-0 at home over the last 2 seasons inside the division. What we saw today isn't anything new. I really don't want to hear oh we won, we won that's all that matters. We've heard that same lousy argument for 5 years straight. I can project that's not going to work against actual football teams. If you're fine with 6-10 today was another grand achievement.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Do you really think Harbaugh believes he can beat Dallas without a functioning Offense?

Of course he doesn't. Harbaugh just didn't feel it was necessary to risk opening up he offense and have the players fail at something they just recently learned. So instead, he chose to keep it very simple ( i agree, questionable gameplan), rely on the D and ST. Those two came up big for us, the D with the turnovers and sacks and the special teams with those 2 Ginn returns and Akers perfect kicking. Add in a couple of plays made by Smith in the run game on his own, and a few nice pass plays, and you have yourself a win against a weak team. This was the gameplan. This was what Harbaugh thought would be enough to win us the game in these unfortunate circumstances due to the lockout, but it worked. Don't expect us to do the same s**t next week. I'm sure Harbs/Roman/Fangio don't think he Cowboys are the same team as the Seahawks.

I hope you're right.

2 scenario's:
1) We mix up the game plan and show improvement on offense. We finish with a .500 or better record. I think most of the fans would be OK with that.
2) We do the same thing we did this game, and continue the horrid "play it safe" offense where Nolantary left off, and we finish .500 or worse.

If scenario 2 happens, this place will be the most toxic, poisonous place on the internet for years. Every other thread will be about Jed York, and how horrible he is.
Willis, Davis, and Gore will finish their career without having so much as sniffed the postseason. If Harbaugh can't at least IMPROVE an offense which has been terrible for years, then WHO on God's green earth can?

What makes it so frustrating is that we have the talent right NOW. We have Gore, Davis, Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan and Walker on offense, we have Willis, Smith, Aldon, Brooks, McDonald, Rogers, Whitner, Bowman, and Soap on defense. The O-line looked very good too. Smith looked very capable of making plays. These players are TALENTED, and they are playing well. But running into a 9-10 man box for most of the game? That just seems to me like such a waste of all that talent. Very very frustrating.

There have probably been 1,000's of pages worth of threads already written on this topic. I don't want to see any more. I want to see us talk about something DIFFERENT for a change. I PRAY Harbaugh brings that change next week against the Cowboys. We can EASILY beat those motherf**kers, but NOT if we run Gore into a 9-10 man box all day.

The coming of this passing offense is starting to take on mythical and mystical proportions.

I hope it comes before Jesus Christ does.

I never meant you said those things in this thread. I was merely using them as examples as to how we probably see things through different lenses. As far as the holding back goes, no, you didnt say that. But you should see how many people actually said that in the playcalling thread.

The Delanie play I will need to rewatch the game to accurately comment. I was at the game, and I didnt have the chance to watch the recording of it yet.

As far as the back shoulder throw to Vernon goes, you say he threw it where the defender couldnt get it. I agree. But I think had it been thrown where I think it should have, the defender wouldnt have gotten it either. I know it was a big play, but a touchdown would have been a bigger one. To me, it just exemplifies Alex's lack of trust in himself to make a big time NFL throw.

Like I said, Im sure you and I wont agree with a lot of Alex Smith topics, but its fine. Lets just hope he plays at the level that doesnt hold this team back anymore. THis division is ours for the taking!! We just need a better passing game. We have the weapons for it now, thats for sure.

Vernon was well covered on the play, he did not have a step on the receiver. You cannot make a back shoulder throw to a Receiver who has a step on the defender because the back shoulder throw becomes between the numbers throw to the defender, did you even think about that before you started spouting off? The thing that really irks me is saying an unintentional back shoulder throw, I mean really. I also don't understand your panicking references either, it's as if you are just filling in everything you don't understand with your personal bias. Alex's footwork and progression would say otherwise, there was no signs of panicking by his body language. I'm pretty sure Alex isn't nervous every time he drops back, but I bet you are I bet you are a huge fan and your nervous and I have no doubts that you are simply projecting your emotions.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
1-0. Bottom line.

Exactly.

Coach Mike Nolan after going 2-0: "I wouldn't think people would care about HOW we win games, just as long as we win the damn game."

Ok. Enjoy our early season fun.

Singletary was 2-0 and then 3-1 his first year and he believed the forward pass was a fad like the motorized car. He too believed winning "ugly" was a good way to run things.

Beating a UFL team like the Seahawks means little. You can't beat a real NFL team without being able to complete passes to the endzone.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:20 AM ]
I'm sure that even if we win against the gayboys AND the beagles, there will be still some people out there to complain. They thought that the o-line would run-block well? They saw the opposite and will draw conclusions from that. They saw that Alex can throw some nice passes and that the o-line can pass-block (against a GOOD d-line) and will conclusions from that as well.
We wanted to have a positive feeling after the first game and you get it by a win. No one cares right directly after the game how you won, everyone is in a good mood. Dont undervalue the psychological effect.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
1-0. Bottom line.

Exactly.

Coach Mike Nolan after going 2-0: "I wouldn't think people would care about HOW we win games, just as long as we win the damn game."

Ok. Enjoy our early season fun.

Singletary was 2-0 and then 3-1 his first year and he believed the forward pass was a fad like the motorized car. He too believed winning "ugly" was a good way to run things.

Beating a UFL team like the Seahawks means little. You can't beat a real NFL team without being able to complete passes to the endzone.

The Seahawks are in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone