There are 197 users in the forums

Harbaugh's (Genius) 'Decoy' Penalty-Baiting!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great example of why Carroll hates Harbaugh. It's almost like cheating. 'Who are you dealing with...you alright?'

'Yeah, I'm good... What's YOUR deal?'

Snyder eligible.
I can't blame the DL for jumping. It's kind of bush league and usually that stuff won't fly for too long before you get haters. Teams will also figure it out and tell there guys to watch for it. We definitely had a few penalties that where ticky tacky but there where some for them as well. The Williams 15 yard penalty I thought was ridiculous. A shoulder to a receiver's shoulder trying to break the pass up. If that is truly hitting a defenseless receiver then they have gone too far.
Originally posted by hklar17:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
also, I believe the word you are looking for is "baiting."

but we definitely also need some penalty abating. we had way too many today.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Great example of why Carroll hates Harbaugh. It's almost like cheating. 'Who are you dealing with...you alright?'

Snyder eligible.

I think they are making way too much of the Harbaugh vs Carroll thing. Just something for the media to talk about. If he did complain about that in the first place he has no right since he ran up the score for many many years at USC. Not to mention the off the field cheating they did (if he was involved).
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Snyder eligible.

I think they are making way too much of the Harbaugh vs Carroll thing. Just something for the media to talk about. If he did complain about that in the first place he has no right since he ran up the score for many many years at USC. Not to mention the off the field cheating they did (if he was involved).

Yeah, I know, but still fun to play up to it after win against them
Go into '4:55' of this video from today's game:

Pure brilliance, anybody else notice how they put Snyder out as a decoy swing tackle/TE (on 4th & 1) to shift backwards, selling the assumption to the refs that Snyder was shifted/drawn backwards off of encroachment (from the DE adjacent to Snyder)...? -This is the exact stuff Jim pulled at Stanford!

Also, if anybody noticed David Akers totally 'over-sold' that 'roughing the kicker' penalty, and Braylon Edwards grabbing the defender's arm-pit (on that redzone play-action stunt) the moment the pass was out of reach (making the CB grab Braylon's left arm in leverage), acting out and triggering a DPI on the defense.

Hahaha this is gonna be a dirty team! I LOVE IT!!!

Yesss!!

My Roommate nearly cussed out Adam Snyder for a False Start but after looking at the replay we both couldn't help but love the creativity. These nuances and attention to detail is what give me confidence for our beloved teams future, regardless of how critical some of our fellow 'zoners are regarding our play-calling in today's contest.

Go Niners
Misdirection, iI love it. JH says to reporters, what's your deal? I don't have to look at the film.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
This was also my favorite play call of the day. You know Carrol was pissed. You can see him in the background like hey that's uh awe goddammit.
Have to admit i missed it until announcers said what happened. It was cool, and I honestly had not seen that before. Obviously JH had. To use it on "old cheatin Pete" was doubly good. Sumbich should have gotten barred from league for 6 games for violating NCAA league policy(paying players). No wonder everyone in CA wanted to go to USC...well, that is done now and they have the penalties hanging over their heads. Oddly Carroll got out of it unscathed. He needed to be made to look foolish. Good for JH. No, great for JH...our Coach.
offense was still majorly absent today. coaching was amazing today but the O is gonna have to not s**t the bed next weekend.

If everything comes together, and we become 'elite', we're gonna be that team nobody wants to play, that you have to have a perfect game against in order to beat us, cause we'll find lucrative ways to f**k you over to our advantage... like that team we used to be when we were winning Superbowls...

Lol
That was a sweet deke. Harbaugh is a sneaky sob
Originally posted by HessianDud:
that was my favorite play of the day. definitely the best play-call.

Ditto and ditto though I wish it wasn't. haha.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I can't blame the DL for jumping. It's kind of bush league and usually that stuff won't fly for too long before you get haters. Teams will also figure it out and tell there guys to watch for it. We definitely had a few penalties that where ticky tacky but there where some for them as well. The Williams 15 yard penalty I thought was ridiculous. A shoulder to a receiver's shoulder trying to break the pass up. If that is truly hitting a defenseless receiver then they have gone too far.

I wouldn't call it "bush." It was a designed play but it is no different than the QB using cadence to draw a defender offside. This little trick will cause other teams to spend some time prepping for stuff like this instead of working on other things...and Harbaugh may never use it again until later in the season.

Bill Walsh ALWAYS had some special play that he would save for a special time in the game. Very often it took the opponent by surprise and got a positive result. Harbaugh emulating the master on that play.
Great play design. This was counting on the opposing team forgetting that Snyder is elegebale (spelling??). if that was Vernon no one would have cared yet when a OL shifts like that you tend to forget that he's now a TE.

Yet this will not work again soon but, here and there it'll work.

The bootleg call was a run/pass option, also what I liked is that there were NO stupid mistakes, in the past returns for TDs or good returns would have been called back due to stupid fouls.
Share 49ersWebzone