There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bowman and Willis

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Haralson had two sacks, he had a monster game. He is better than people give him credit for here.

Haralson can thank Aldon for his second sack. Smith shoved Okung (a FIRST stringer) eight yards into the backfield which forced the QB to step back right into Haralson.

Our pass rush is as good as I was hoping. Much improved.

But it was against Seattle's woeful offensive line.

Cowboys lin is starting 3 new guys, and two of them are hurt. One is almost certain to be inactive.
Originally posted by Redeemer:
Originally posted by ianna:
I would like to see Wllis make more big plays, game changing plays. He looks very average to me playing next to Bowman.. I will eat my crow if he step his game up.

So what you're saying is a player widely considered the best at his position today, and quite possibly one of the best ever, isn't playing up to your standards? Is this correct?

You got it.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I would like to see Wllis make more big plays, game changing plays. He looks very average to me playing next to Bowman.. I will eat my crow if he step his game up.

So what you're saying is a player widely considered the best at his position today, and quite possibly one of the best ever, isn't playing up to your standards? Is this correct?

You got it.

Willis will get his. Have patience.
Willis disappointed me when rushing the passer. Bowman is a far superior pass rusher. In a near equal situation, Willis went in, got the RB and went head on with him trying to truck him and got stuffed. I could understand if the RB appeared to go on a pass route but it was obvious he was in there specifically to protect. Bowman was in a similar situation and quickly made the RB whiff and applied immediate pressure.
On another instance, Willis appeared to have RB responsibility and the RB stayed to protect. Willis just stood there and didn't attack Jackson until slightly after he stepped up. He got a hit on Jackson that resulted in a 15 yard throw at the receiver's feet but he should have rushed sooner for a solid sack.

Willis has a lot to learn when attacking the QB.

If Parys keeps it at a high level, then our LB Core is freaking awesome.
dudes.................... Offenses game plan against Willis like Defenses game plan against great offensive play makers.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Willis disappointed me when rushing the passer. Bowman is a far superior pass rusher. In a near equal situation, Willis went in, got the RB and went head on with him trying to truck him and got stuffed. I could understand if the RB appeared to go on a pass route but it was obvious he was in there specifically to protect. Bowman was in a similar situation and quickly made the RB whiff and applied immediate pressure.
On another instance, Willis appeared to have RB responsibility and the RB stayed to protect. Willis just stood there and didn't attack Jackson until slightly after he stepped up. He got a hit on Jackson that resulted in a 15 yard throw at the receiver's feet but he should have rushed sooner for a solid sack.

Almost blitzburgh like.
i'll agree though, Willis' pass rush skills need improvement. But since that's not his main duty, i couldn't care less. Best closing/tackling LB in the league.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i'll agree though, Willis' pass rush skills need improvement. But since that's not his main duty, i couldn't care less. Best closing/tackling LB in the league.

In a 3-4, it is EVERY linebackers most important skill.
Willis spent most of the day spying the qb & rb. D-line crashed the qb and Willis watched for the screen and swing passes. If qb tried to scramble Willis was there to pound him. Willis basicly roamed the LOS and pounded anybody with the ball. He thumped Jackson in the chest on a pass because he had nothing better to do and it was just too easy not to.. Willis closed on Jackson and just knocked him back about 5ft by slamming his hands into Jackson's chest. The passed ended up about 15ft from it's target. Jacson dropped back on a screen and Willis cut behind the blocking lineman and stopped the play for a loss. On another sreen Willis closed so fast on the RB that Jackson just threw the ball at the RB's feet because Willis may have intercepted the pass and run it in for a TD. That was Jackson's only option because he was about to be cruched by the D-line. Willis did plenty including helping out with pass coverage. If everyone is doing their jobs then Willis doesn't have to be everywhere covering for slackers. Sunday everyone did their jobs and then some.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

I've been trying for awhile to get people to understand the difference between pass rushing and blitzing. Willis is a good blitzer because of his quickness off the snap and closing speed, but he has no pass rush ability.

Bowman is a better blitzer because he's got those same traits, plus the ability to get around the running back.

Neither are pass rushers. They aren't going to beat a blocker after contact.

I think they're fine, though.
Both played solid.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

You got it.

Willis will get his. Have patience.

Revis sucked last year because he didn't get any picks.