LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I am aware that "installing the offense" is an excuse for not having the players to get it done.

Several rookies looked far better. Including Andy Dalton before he got hurt and obviously Cam Newton. Kolb in a new system looked far better. Every team in the NFL with new QBs and/or coordinators had the same challenges as us. Very few (if any besides Seattle), looked as stilted in their play calling or execution.

We obviously don't have the talent or the confidence in our players to even TRY to do anything beyond the basics on offense.

I'm glad we won. Thrilled Alex didn't make the big mistake. But without a couple of lucky plays from ST, there is a very good chance we lose that game. Odds are that once the game is close (without the returns), we end up punting and giving one of the worst teams in the NFL a chance to move down the field a couple times to get the winning FG.

Nothing I saw yesterday gave me any confidence that we will be able to score (or even move the chains) when necessary against even decent teams.
Me either, but that is from a playcalling point of view. When Smith let it loose he was on time and on target. They are going to have to open the playbook up to beat the cowboys.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I am aware that "installing the offense" is an excuse for not having the players to get it done.

Several rookies looked far better. Including Andy Dalton before he got hurt and obviously Cam Newton. Kolb in a new system looked far better. Every team in the NFL with new QBs and/or coordinators had the same challenges as us. Very few (if any besides Seattle), looked as stilted in their play calling or execution.

We obviously don't have the talent or the confidence in our players to even TRY to do anything beyond the basics on offense.

I'm glad we won. Thrilled Alex didn't make the big mistake. But without a couple of lucky plays from ST, there is a very good chance we lose that game. Odds are that once the game is close (without the returns), we end up punting and giving one of the worst teams in the NFL a chance to move down the field a couple times to get the winning FG.

Nothing I saw yesterday gave me any confidence that we will be able to score (or even move the chains) when necessary against even decent teams.
Me either, but that is from a playcalling point of view. When Smith let it loose he was on time and on target. They are going to have to open the playbook up to beat the cowboys.

It's one thing if a quarterback is coming into a new system that his teammates have been playing in for a while now. It's a completely different thing when a quarterback and an ENTIRE OFFENSE is coming into a new system...with a shortened off-season. That's why the Cam newton comparisons don't work for me. Not to take anything away from Cam, because what he did (at least from the stats that I saw, didn't watch the game) is certainly impressive, but you have to look at what Alex did in the scope of what he was ASKED to do. He was only asked to drop back and pass 20 times, and he made good decisions on the majority of those plays.

AND we are gonna have to give either OT lots of extra attention on DeMarcus Ware. Neither Staley or AD will likely succeed in blocking him often, and Ware can end our season very quickly if we don't focus on him constantly. I'm thinking we should throw in 2 TE sets (with an activated Bruce Miller as that 2nd TE) and we can even go with an extra OL at times as some teams do (with Boone doubling up with Staley or AD).
QBR rating of 66.2, take that from our QB any day. Not carrying the team, but enough to win most games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6943920/nfl-week-1-total-qbr-leaders
Originally posted by rlott42:
QBR rating of 66.2, take that from our QB any day. Not carrying the team, but enough to win most games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6943920/nfl-week-1-total-qbr-leaders

not too shabby.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
AND we are gonna have to give either OT lots of extra attention on DeMarcus Ware. Neither Staley or AD will likely succeed in blocking him often, and Ware can end our season very quickly if we don't focus on him constantly. I'm thinking we should throw in 2 TE sets (with an activated Bruce Miller as that 2nd TE) and we can even go with an extra OL at times as some teams do (with Boone doubling up with Staley or AD).
I think we will have to max protect and chip ware with FB/Te's to keep him out of the backfield. They are going to have to open the polaybook up against Dallas, even with Bryant gimped, they are still gonna pressure the defense.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by Montana19:
90.4 - it was Against Seattle for one and He usually plays well in first games , we'll see what he does against a Better Dallas Defense......I wish him luck but Consistency is not in his Short list of Talents.

Yeah. Like the game in Seattle last year (31-6).

what does 1 game have to do with consistency? Even the Alex apologists will have to concede that Alex's biggest liability is inconsistency.

damn dude! I was reading this and you are a hater! Smith must have done your daughter or something for you to hate him like this.

It is like your life goal here!

Take a cold shower on this subject man! It is killing you!

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by militaryminds49:
Smith's Last 8 Games: 94.2 QB rating, and 11 touchdowns 3 ints

Holy moly! Really?!

If he has a 94.2, 22 TDs and 6 interceptions by seasons end...he'll be a probowl alternate.
Alex got hated on for missing some throws, I'll accept it for game one, harbs was trying to get his confidence up. AFter the bye week if he is still missing this stuff, it could cost us the playoffs.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Alex got hated on for missing some throws, I'll accept it for game one, harbs was trying to get his confidence up. AFter the bye week if he is still missing this stuff, it could cost us the playoffs.

Haha, he completed 75% of his passes.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Haha, he completed 75% of his passes.

I think he meant he missed other wide open receivers that could have provided more yardage. The miss to Crabtree in the endzone stands out. Crabtree was wide open and Smith checked down to someone else, Gore I think.
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
I think he meant he missed other wide open receivers that could have provided more yardage. The miss to Crabtree in the endzone stands out. Crabtree was wide open and Smith checked down to someone else, Gore I think.

I meant the wide open Wr's, yes. It was good tos ee this many completed passes from a niner QB after seeing troy smith go like 11/27 every game.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:15 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Here is his HOF jacket.

90.4 passer rating, 124 yards............................IMPRESSIVE

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
Here is his HOF jacket.

90.4 passer rating, 124 yards............................IMPRESSIVE

all that matters is the W. you wanted McChoke. go look at his stats.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by boast:
all that matters is the W. you wanted McChoke. go look at his stats.

But he played the best D in the NFL and on the road. And its only one game........

Also how did Alex look against the Chargers last year ?
Share 49ersWebzone