LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex played well. It was a game manager type of performance that leaned heavily on the run. Not many yards or TDs, but he made plays when he had to! That includes the few little scampers he did here and there. He just played good football, which was good to see!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I'm not an Alex Smith homer by an standards, and many on this board might recognize me as one of his biggest rational 'haters'. lol.

People are posting credit for individual players. Let me point out some plays where Alex contributed to the win today, and give him credit for them:

1. Awesome blocking on that reverse counter to spring Gore on a 10+ yard run.

2. Runs for positive yardage, especially the ones that picked up first downs.

3.The TD run. 2 important things about this play: 1) His gutsy spinning dive into the endzone. Shows his toughness and moxie. 2) I hear a whole lot of complaining about how the offense scored just 1 TD today. I see. We do need to improve on offense. But I will give Smith credit as he was the player who scored that TD. My main point here is that Smith was overall a bigger part of the 'solution' today rather than a part of the 'problem' as he he is in so many games.

4. That helluva pass to Davis over a couple defenders as he rolled out. I know that play surprised everyone who was watching the game lol

5. Pass where he flushed out to his left and threw it to the back shoulder of VD, where only he could make a play. Sign of excellent chemistry btwn the two.

6. The effectiveness of his hard counts. The Seahawks were called for encroachment/offsides a ton of times this game.

7. The perfect throw to Morgan for 26 yards.

8. No turnovers, no sacks ( although that can mostly be credited to the pass pro of the OL, Thank God)

Overall, I would say that Alex played within the gameplan, which was good. Harbaugh said himself in the post game interview that the ultra-conservative playcalling was because of the fact that he isn't comfortable with how little the players know about the offense. He basically was saying that under the circumstances, he thought the Defense and Smith's game managing would be enough to win this given Sunday, against the Seahawks. I know things got a bit ugly before those 2 TDs by Ginn, but I am content at the time being with this win. We are a team that is behind the 8 ball due to the lockout, and a win against a division rival, no matter how ugly, is welcomed. Lets look forward to some improvement each week. That is what should've been the realistic expectations for this team for 2011. For us to grow over the course of the season and eventually, ideally by the end of the season, look like the Harbaugh led WCO team that we all envisioned. Even then, that might not happen this year, but I think that its awesome that we were able to win by more than 2 scores with 30+ TEAM POINTS. Last time I checked, the final score of each game incorporates the scores by the offense, defense and special teams. This was a team win.

Onto the Cowboys. LETS GO NINERS.

I don't bother posting much on here lately, but THIS was worth responding to. I do remember you and remember you as a #11 detractor... so, big props to you for clearly giving him a clean slate and seeing things fairly.

Hey oldman! We going to be treated to one of your game recaps and analysis?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Alex played well. It was a game manager type of performance that leaned heavily on the run. Not many yards or TDs, but he made plays when he had to! That includes the few little scampers he did here and there. He just played good football, which was good to see!

I just don't agree much with this. The run did not contribute much. The red zone play calling leaned on the run, which wasn't there.
  • NONAME
  • Go Raiders
Originally posted by boast:
most of you that won't give a shred of credit to Alex wanted Donovan McNabb. how did McChoke do yesterday? 7-16 39yds passing 1 TD, 1 INT.

shhh you're making sense!
  • dj43
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Wasnt what surprised me...the vanilla play calling surprised me.

Harbaugh said in the post game that it was done that way on purpose. I guess more of the playbook, hopefully this translate to attacking down field more, will be slowly used as the season progresses.

This is the kind of thing that frustrates me about running a vanilla offense during the preseason. There's unreasonable paranoia about "showing your hand" in the preseason, but this is the result, especially with a new coach and no offseason. An offensive unit that isn't prepared to run a considerable portion of the playbook.

I don't know if it was that they were not prepared to open it up more, or if Harbaugh just chose not to open it up. He says it was a choice.

We did see quite a bit more of the playbook against Oakland and SD so I am going to agree with Harbaugh; it was by choice not that they don't yet know it.
we got the win but alex is still alex
Game manager, JH did not seem to trust him to throw on 3rd downs, I was disappointed. I am hoping for better (not great) things from Alex this year, that "back shoulder throw" he made is new in his repertoire, and I think more improvements are coming this season. So for now serviceable, and game manager are vast upgrades over previous years, and lets all hope he continues to improve, it is a long season and we will not always have Ted Gin to bail us out!

JH was ultra conservative in in game planning and play calling, Dingle Berry could have pounded Frank up the middle on 1st down for f**ks sake! I hope as Alex improves that JH lets him off the chain! This group is capable of great things! Let's go get Dallas!
Alex did what he was required to do along with a nice drive late in the game. If we lost this game, it would have been because of Harbaugh or Jimmy's Raye's ghost.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Braylon beat his cornerback and had position on him. There are several other QB's in the league that could have completed that pass. And he led Vernon too much on one of the few times he attempted a pass longer than 5 yards. I can add one more, on the play towards edwards in the endzone, it was a bad pass. The 9ers got lucky that the defender grabbed Edwards because it was a bad throw by smith.

This performance may have been driven by the coaches in limiting alex but in the few spots he could have made a play alex didn't. I hope the 49ers open up their passing game or gore will be facing 8 in the box all year.

Of course, if the defender had not grabbed Edwards, Edwards would have been a yard further toward the ball and it would have hit his outside shoulder...er...wait...the ball was spinning funny...and it had spit on it from the center that the QB failed to wipe off...and...well...Alex sucks!

Alex is a below average QB. The o line gave him plenty of time to throw the ball today. Alex didn't throw a pick, so this is as good as it gets for Alex? Maybe Seattle has a great pass defense? Or Maybe Alex is more of problem than only a few people are willing to admit.

Wow, do you root against Alex just to make your statements about him seem true or do you ever root for him? Its mind blowing that we win, he makes accurate throws when asked, uses his legs for once again and has no turnovers and still some will b***h. Were you really thinking we were gonna have this magical game where the O had massive numbers? Did you watch the preseason at all? We clearly are still learning the WCO and trying to get everyone on the same page. THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME FOR GOD SAKES.

The only thing that will take time is developing CK or Tolzien as the next QB. Alex is the same turd in new clothes. He continues to stare down WR's and checks down too fast or simply makes the wrong decision. After seven years, I was hoping the mentioned areas were improved. I expect/hope Alex has a couple of good games this year. Honestly, this team will only go as far as the defense and ST takes them. I don't root against any 49er. It may seem that way because I simply react to his performance which has been bad for several years now. If he has a good game, I will give him props.
Alex also got a 66 in total QBR, that was a top ten performance for the weekend

top half in rating, but of the top 14 ratings, 2nd lowest in terms of yards only to Andy Dalton. Also only one of the 2 with no TD's.

Smith's Last 8 Games: 94.2 QB rating, and 11 touchdowns 3 ints
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Braylon beat his cornerback and had position on him. There are several other QB's in the league that could have completed that pass. And he led Vernon too much on one of the few times he attempted a pass longer than 5 yards. I can add one more, on the play towards edwards in the endzone, it was a bad pass. The 9ers got lucky that the defender grabbed Edwards because it was a bad throw by smith.

This performance may have been driven by the coaches in limiting alex but in the few spots he could have made a play alex didn't. I hope the 49ers open up their passing game or gore will be facing 8 in the box all year.

Of course, if the defender had not grabbed Edwards, Edwards would have been a yard further toward the ball and it would have hit his outside shoulder...er...wait...the ball was spinning funny...and it had spit on it from the center that the QB failed to wipe off...and...well...Alex sucks!

Alex is a below average QB. The o line gave him plenty of time to throw the ball today. Alex didn't throw a pick, so this is as good as it gets for Alex? Maybe Seattle has a great pass defense? Or Maybe Alex is more of problem than only a few people are willing to admit.

Wow, do you root against Alex just to make your statements about him seem true or do you ever root for him? Its mind blowing that we win, he makes accurate throws when asked, uses his legs for once again and has no turnovers and still some will b***h. Were you really thinking we were gonna have this magical game where the O had massive numbers? Did you watch the preseason at all? We clearly are still learning the WCO and trying to get everyone on the same page. THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME FOR GOD SAKES.

The only thing that will take time is developing CK or Tolzien as the next QB. Alex is the same turd in new clothes. He continues to stare down WR's and checks down too fast or simply makes the wrong decision. After seven years, I was hoping the mentioned areas were improved. I expect/hope Alex has a couple of good games this year. Honestly, this team will only go as far as the defense and ST takes them. I don't root against any 49er. It may seem that way because I simply react to his performance which has been bad for several years now. If he has a good game, I will give him props.

Wrong, Alex not throwing to the wr in the endzone is a perfect example of him not staring down his wr's and waiting for them to come open but instead going thru his progressions. If he holds onto the ball waiting for guys to get open and stares them down, its likely a pick or a sack and you'd be the first one to scream to get rid of the ball already. Instead, the wr was initally covered so he moves thru his progressions, which is exactely what the WCO calls for.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I'm not an Alex Smith homer by an standards, and many on this board might recognize me as one of his biggest rational 'haters'. lol.

People are posting credit for individual players. Let me point out some plays where Alex contributed to the win today, and give him credit for them:

1. Awesome blocking on that reverse counter to spring Gore on a 10+ yard run.

2. Runs for positive yardage, especially the ones that picked up first downs.

3.The TD run. 2 important things about this play: 1) His gutsy spinning dive into the endzone. Shows his toughness and moxie. 2) I hear a whole lot of complaining about how the offense scored just 1 TD today. I see. We do need to improve on offense. But I will give Smith credit as he was the player who scored that TD. My main point here is that Smith was overall a bigger part of the 'solution' today rather than a part of the 'problem' as he he is in so many games.

4. That helluva pass to Davis over a couple defenders as he rolled out. I know that play surprised everyone who was watching the game lol

5. Pass where he flushed out to his left and threw it to the back shoulder of VD, where only he could make a play. Sign of excellent chemistry btwn the two.

6. The effectiveness of his hard counts. The Seahawks were called for encroachment/offsides a ton of times this game.

7. The perfect throw to Morgan for 26 yards.

8. No turnovers, no sacks ( although that can mostly be credited to the pass pro of the OL, Thank God)

Overall, I would say that Alex played within the gameplan, which was good. Harbaugh said himself in the post game interview that the ultra-conservative playcalling was because of the fact that he isn't comfortable with how little the players know about the offense. He basically was saying that under the circumstances, he thought the Defense and Smith's game managing would be enough to win this given Sunday, against the Seahawks. I know things got a bit ugly before those 2 TDs by Ginn, but I am content at the time being with this win. We are a team that is behind the 8 ball due to the lockout, and a win against a division rival, no matter how ugly, is welcomed. Lets look forward to some improvement each week. That is what should've been the realistic expectations for this team for 2011. For us to grow over the course of the season and eventually, ideally by the end of the season, look like the Harbaugh led WCO team that we all envisioned. Even then, that might not happen this year, but I think that its awesome that we were able to win by more than 2 scores with 30+ TEAM POINTS. Last time I checked, the final score of each game incorporates the scores by the offense, defense and special teams. This was a team win.

Onto the Cowboys. LETS GO NINERS.

I don't bother posting much on here lately, but THIS was worth responding to. I do remember you and remember you as a #11 detractor... so, big props to you for clearly giving him a clean slate and seeing things fairly.

Seriously, this post should be required reading for anyone before they think about posting in NT about yesterday's game. This explains everything that needs to be said about Alex Smith's play and should honestly close the book on the issue.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Probably not in this forum. Not sure how much I'll get done anyway. Today's assignment has been all about Sopoaga at NT and other occasional, noteworthy defensive observations. Still have the 2nd half left before I complete that much... and still am only going into certain detail on the significant plays.
Share 49ersWebzone