LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Born9erFan:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
How did Cam Newton do in his first game with the same off season??

He lost.

With a much worse supporting cast than Smith had ;) Also without Cam they would have had 0 production, without smith ted ginn plus akers would have still singlehandedly won the game for us ;)
[ Edited by Veratyr on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:53 AM ]
Look, I'm glad Alex did not lose the game for us today. I really am. Actually, I give him props for a game well played. It was a pleasant surprise.

My response here though isn't to support or slam Alex. My response is to ask since when is a 90.4 QB rating something to write home about? Currently there are 13 other QBs with ratings higher than his and two others that have not played yet (MNF). It is statistically average. I can't understand why there is a thread about this. 90.4? Really? I guess it is all relative though.

LB
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by susweel:
124 passing yards.

Cam Newton had 400, in his first NFL start.

Good thing Nolan isn't his coach
What was Smith's QBR though?
Wasnt what surprised me...the vanilla play calling surprised me.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Look, I'm glad Alex did not lose the game for us today. I really am. Actually, I give him props for a game well played. It was a pleasant surprise.

My response here though isn't to support or slam Alex. My response is to ask since when is a 90.4 QB rating something to write home about? Currently there are 13 other QBs with ratings higher than his and two others that have not played yet (MNF). It is statistically average. I can't understand why there is a thread about this. 90.4? Really? I guess it is all relative though.

LB

don't you know man? You HAVE to pick a side! So by your post, you're an Alex Basher. Welcome .

seriously though, this is just a sign of how bad things have gotten. We celebrate when a player does just enough for us to win or doesn't do enough for us to lose. If we had lost this game, I wouldn't have blamed it on A.Smith though. The running game was more horrendous than our passing "attack" and the play calling had me thinking that Jimmy Ray snuck back into the coaches booth.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I think that says more about Arizona than Cam (I'm one of the few that think he'll be pretty good).
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

LB

don't you know man? You HAVE to pick a side! So by your post, you're an Alex Basher. Welcome .

seriously though, this is just a sign of how bad things have gotten. We celebrate when a player does just enough for us to win or doesn't do enough for us to lose. If we had lost this game, I wouldn't have blamed it on A.Smith though. The running game was more horrendous than our passing "attack" and the play calling had me thinking that Jimmy Ray snuck back into the coaches booth.

I was not happy with the play calling either. I couldn't believe how many times Gore attempted to run up the middle... Not one slant! A couple of new plays I was happy about but it was mostly vanilla. I hope it becomes more creative as the season progresses. I suspect it will.

I should edit my original post as well. I think there are 4 QBs that have not played yet, not 2. So statistically 90.4 should be 15th by tomorrow.

LB

LB

Original post: "That was Alex's passer rating today. I'd love to hear what people have to say about that." From Aman49

Many on this site expected Smith to be very bad yesterday due to lack of practice, etc. He was not very bad so it was a positive experience for them. Shaj was waiting for an interception the entire game...so disappointing, he didn't get it. So, from a point of view that the team is running a brand new offense with a month to practice, the game was as smooth as one could ask for.

Haven't read one post saying how great Smith was, except for all the people criticizing people saying he's great. So your assumptions are taken from flawed thinking or reading. People are very happy the 9ers are 1-0 and tied for first in the NFL West. Hope you are as well, though you sound rather sad about the whole thing.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:26 AM ]
Considering that the run game just couldn't get going well, Alex did his part to win the game. We got into the red zone plenty of times, and called mostly runs. How did we even get into field goal range? Field position and efficient passing.

Why the b***hing?

We actually saw TOUCH and accuracy on many of Smith's passes. This is new, and I hope it continues to improve. When the entire offense finally gets installed and the players master it, this team should be very competitive.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

LB

Original post: "That was Alex's passer rating today. I'd love to hear what people have to say about that." From Aman49

Many on this site expected Smith to be very bad yesterday due to lack of practice, etc. He was not very bad so it was a positive experience for them. Shaj was waiting for an interception the entire game...so disappointing, he didn't get it. So, from a point of view that the team is running a brand new offense with a month to practice, the game was as smooth as one could ask for.

Haven't read one post saying how great Smith was, except for all the people criticizing people saying he's great. So your assumptions are taken from flawed thinking or reading. People are very happy the 9ers are 1-0 and tied for first in the NFL West. Hope you are as well, though you sound rather sad about the whole thing.
I'm sorry you had trouble comprehending my post. Let me see if I can clarify. I am happy that we won. When we win I feel upbeat all week. Conversely, if we lose my week stinks. My response to this thread was that a very average QB performance seems to be some sort of major accomplishment. Alex played well enough to win. He didn't make any mistakes and for this he deserves credit. Here were some of my comments that you may have misunderstood:

"Actually, I give him props for a game well played."

"My response here though isn't to support or slam Alex. My response is to ask since when is a 90.4 QB rating something to write home about?"

I'm not sure if I can make it more clear for you.

LB
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
20 quarters of football (including the preseason) and ZERO passing TDs. Our "QB Guru" coach didn't even trust him to throw the ball the vast majority of the time, especially in key situations.

Given all that, he did the best Alex Smith is capable of doing. No turnovers, no sacks and managed to make a few more positive plays than negative with no major mistakes.

That being said, the D, special teams and the fact that Seattle is terrible are the reasons we won this game. If Alex can continue doing his Trent Dilfer impression, we might do ok at times if he continues to avoid making the big errors.

But he sure didn't look like a QB capable of being the reason we win. Just hopefully, not the reason we lose.

You do understand they are still installing the offense...right? When Smith had to make plays he made a couple of very good plays, he completed 75% of his passes scored a TD and didn't turn the ball over. Most importantly, he won the game, that is the only thing that matters. They are going to have to step up the play calling to win next week, Dallas has a crappy secondary but a stout front seven.

I am aware that "installing the offense" is an excuse for not having the players to get it done.

Several rookies looked far better. Including Andy Dalton before he got hurt and obviously Cam Newton. Kolb in a new system looked far better. Every team in the NFL with new QBs and/or coordinators had the same challenges as us. Very few (if any besides Seattle), looked as stilted in their play calling or execution.

We obviously don't have the talent or the confidence in our players to even TRY to do anything beyond the basics on offense.

I'm glad we won. Thrilled Alex didn't make the big mistake. But without a couple of lucky plays from ST, there is a very good chance we lose that game. Odds are that once the game is close (without the returns), we end up punting and giving one of the worst teams in the NFL a chance to move down the field a couple times to get the winning FG.

Nothing I saw yesterday gave me any confidence that we will be able to score (or even move the chains) when necessary against even decent teams.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Wasnt what surprised me...the vanilla play calling surprised me.

Harbaugh said in the post game that it was done that way on purpose. I guess more of the playbook, hopefully this translate to attacking down field more, will be slowly used as the season progresses.
Originally posted by Montana19:
90.4 - it was Against Seattle for one and He usually plays well in first games , we'll see what he does against a Better Dallas Defense......I wish him luck but Consistency is not in his Short list of Talents.

Yeah. Like the game in Seattle last year (31-6).
Props to Alex. Showed his grit with the touchdown run loved the little shake and bake move get on into the endzone.

Played a very nice game manager style of play which combined with our special teams (which gets the game ball) made sure Seattle was never going to score enough points to win. For once we didn't beat ourselves as has been the case for many years.
Share 49ersWebzone