There are 199 users in the forums

Nice win, but I'm still not happy about the play calling!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we could have played better not getting in from the two and getting stuffed twiced when we got roughing the passer call kinda hurts. We just have to have to find a way to win
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
its one of these issues

1)the O isnt ready (pass protection)
2)the O doesn't know the whole system
3)Alex is not trusted
4)Jim wanted to show only what was needed to win
5)The coaches have too much faith in the running game
6)Game plan was incorrect

you pick
I know it's only one game to judge, but I think 2 makes the most sense.
I still think it is funny how Harbaugh gets a pass for pulling an obvious Singletary strategy on the opportunity to seal the game when SEA had all the momentum. Harbaugh got lucky Ginn came through and killed all momentum.

Harbaugh dodged a bullet if he is thinking about running down the clock with 6 minutes left and not really trying to score a TD when you are only 10 yards away. This is the NFL and teams can score twice within 2 minutes.

If this is what we are going to see from him throughout the year, then we will not win. There's no excuse to begin playing it safe with 6 minutes left and having lost all momentum in the game.
Alex Smith needs to learn another offense yet again. We know he is not a natural who translates new info to his game instantly. So guess what? He is going to be given as conservative a game plan as they feel they need to win a game, trying to develop him & the rest of the offense along the way. I think they are willing to take some lumps from better teams along the way, with development always in mind.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Alex Smith needs to learn another offense yet again. We know he is not a natural who translates new info to his game instantly. So guess what? He is going to be given as conservative a game plan as they feel they need to win a game, trying to develop him & the rest of the offense along the way. I think they are willing to take some lumps from better teams along the way, with development always in mind.

Cam Newton had the same amount of time to learn a new offense, and his HC is a defensive minded guy (remember that excuse?). I don't buy this alexcuse either....
We got outcoached in the 2nd half. The only reason why we won this game was due to ST and no fumbles/INT's. Last year, we were on the bad luck side of fumbles and deflections.

I won't pin it on Alex the playcalls was all on harbaugh, and roman. I think they were going with safe plays to see what the team was capable of. The few tiems they did call some aggressive creative ish, good things happened.

HOpefully they will use that against dal.
One thing I noticed during the game was Alex was reluctant to pull the trigger on certain pass plays, he ended up checking it down.
  • dj43

I do not believe Alex is the one needing more time. Remember, he had the playbook and spent over a month with it before Camp Alex and then introduced it to his teammates. If anything, he is the one waiting for guys like Edwards and Crabtree to get up to speed with him. With one not-so-clear exception yesterday, he picked out the best option on pass plays. To me, that does not indicate he is the one holding the thing back.
Originally posted by verb1der:
One thing I noticed during the game was Alex was reluctant to pull the trigger on certain pass plays, he ended up checking it down.

And that is why I think we were being conservative, harbs is building his confidence back. If nothing else I am so much happier just to see him scramble again, he should have done that many times last year, instead of holding the ball too long and getting sacked.

Originally posted by Shaj:
Cam Newton had the same amount of time to learn a new offense, and his HC is a defensive minded guy (remember that excuse?). I don't buy this alexcuse either....

Ohhh what was the outcome of that game?

Back to JH.

One game does not make a trend. Sings game plan never changed for who they were playing. Lets give it a couple of games before the play calling is scrutinized.
[ Edited by kingairta on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by Shaj:

Ohhh what was the outcome of that game?

The Panthers, playing the Cam Newton did, have a better chance at beating a team like the Cowboys than we do. You can say what you want about one win just like how we went 3-1 a few years back and everyone was saying "a win is a win" but winning like this is going to lose in most games.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The Panthers, playing the Cam Newton did, have a better chance at beating a team like the Cowboys than we do. You can say what you want about one win just like how we went 3-1 a few years back and everyone was saying "a win is a win" but winning like this is going to lose in most games.

But at the same time no one expects this team to do much this year. To think otherwise is plain retarded. The team has to take the wins where it can and hopefully show improvement every week.

Panthers play GB next, lets see Newton do that against a real defense, before i get on his bandwagon.

It was the Cardinals he was playing afterall, one of the two teams they beat for a win last year...

other one was us if you remember
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Panthers play GB next, lets see Newton do that against a real defense, before i get on his bandwagon.

It was the Cardinals he was playing afterall, one of the two teams they beat for a win last year...

other one was us if you remember

We are not talking about GB. We are talking about his stellar play vs a 6 win team under a Defensive Coach while learning a new system. THAT type of play, in the long run results in more wins.
Share 49ersWebzone