There are 292 users in the forums

0 sacks allowed, 0 turnovers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
This win is fool's gold. Seattle does have a good run D, but there are better team with even better run Ds. Tell me something though...if you know Seattle has a good run D, is it smart strategy to keep running at that strength? Or it is Singletaryesque madness and insanity?

As I said before....we totally deserved to lose this game. Cowards don't deserve to win....and Harbaugh's game plan was just that, cowardly, no balls type stuff. He basically got bailed out by Ginn at the end, and while I give credit to Ginn, are we going to rely on miracles of that nature in every game?

Dude it's a first win of the first game of the season. Our offense moved the ball pretty effectively when it had to. Especially that drive for the last field goal. We just need to work on the red zone offense.
Ted Ginn's two TDs masked a Mike Singletary-esque approach to the game.

One game doesn't make a trend and maybe Harbaugh is taking a gradient approach to opening up the offense.

Tell you what though, I wasn't feeling good when Seattle pulled to within two points and it was up to the offense to execute a time killing drive.
This win is fool's gold. Seattle does have a good run D, but there are better team with even better run Ds. Tell me something though...if you know Seattle has a good run D, is it smart strategy to keep running at that strength? Or it is Singletaryesque madness and insanity?

As I said before....we totally deserved to lose this game. Cowards don't deserve to win....and Harbaugh's game plan was just that, cowardly, no balls type stuff. He basically got bailed out by Ginn at the end, and while I give credit to Ginn, are we going to rely on miracles of that nature in every game?

I think Harbaugh saw what was working in the first half. They were in the Seahawks territory the entire half. A few tweaks in the first half and that game could have been a blowout. Just give it time. This is the first chance the coaches have had to really get a look at the offense against an opponent so the offense is still going to evolve.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I'm 90% sure we would have gone 3 and out, had ginn not run that back.

But our possession RIGHT BEFORE was 15 PLAYS, had four first downs, ate up NINE MINUTES on the clock and ended with a score.

Save for your need to complain, what makes you 90% sure we would have gone three and out?

Also, why wouldn't the defense have then forced a three and out and then gotten a turnover?
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Sep 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'm as irritated with the playcalling at times over the course of this game as many folks are, but you're not going to lose a lot of games when you're putting zeroes up in those two categories. Considering their lack of weapons and historically young O-Line, protecting the ball may very well have been the correct strategy. I'm hoping that we open things up a bit in future games, but you have to play the opponent in front of you.

It wasn't aesthetically pleasing, but Harbaugh probably played this game correctly on the offensive end, IMO.

Good post.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

But our possession RIGHT BEFORE was 15 PLAYS, had four first downs, ate up NINE MINUTES on the clock and ended with a score.

Save for your need to complain, what makes you 90% sure we would have gone three and out?

Also, why wouldn't the defense have then forced a three and out and then gotten a turnover?

Got.... HEEEEEEEMMMMMM
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I think Harbaugh's keeping it conservative because the players just don't know the offense very well, which is pretty understandable. I think it becomes less and less conservative as the season goes on and they get more familiarity with the offense.

Agree

this! everyone is freaking out here over nothing. I think we could have run a little less up the gut but this coaching staff is not dingleberry and company we'll be fine in the playcalling department.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Honestly, 98% of the complainers on the zone show me week in and week out that they have no real football knowledge and are only use to playing Madden (rookie skill setting of course) and think they are football gurus. The Seahawks are not as horrible as everyone makes them out to be, the team we are playing next week have just as many issues. The Cowboys have no offensive line, boo boo secondary, and sub-par running game. They play in NJ this week then have to fly back west next week. We get two back to back home games and plenty of time to prepare. I think we can beat them next week.

And there are always condescending posters like you who try to pretend that they know something that no one else can possibly know. Newflash: You probably don't know as much as you think.

I wasn't condescending at all sir, I came out and said exactly how I felt. See that's the difference between me and guys like you, I think before I post. I don't come out and say random negative things just to go against the grain. I'm not saying I'm Bill Walsh but I played football from grade school up to a collegiate level, and my father won two 5A high school championships in Maryland, so I'm not little johnny who plays Madden all day either. Keep in mind that me stating MY opinion does not make me right or anyone else wrong. So please keep ranting and acting like a 5 year old girl.
If we play safe and fundamental football this year we can win some games. We have a good defense, good special teams and a good run blocking O Line at least in addition to good RB's. It's probably our best strategy. Not too many sacks, not too many turnovers and not too many penalties. You can beat a lot of the bad teams with that alone. Now when you line up against good teams that is a different story.
As I look back at these post on the zone today it is easy to see a lot of our fans are shell shocked from the Big Mike Era, I think a lot of the negativity will go down if we beat the Cowsheep next week.

Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Got.... HEEEEEEEMMMMMM

I wouldn't hang my hat on that previous possession. A couple of good throws by Alex and a nice run by Frank, helped by 2 huge penalties (one which extended the drive by several more minutes on a tickytack foul) against Seattle doesn't absolve the fact that we only got 3 points out of it.
As I look back at these post on the zone today it is easy to see a lot of our fans are shell shocked from the Big Mike Era, I think a lot of the negativity will go down if we beat the Cowsheep next week.

Good point. I'll be okay if we lose to the Boys next week also, though. If we come out of the first four games at 2-2 I think we'll be in really good shape.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I think Harbaugh's keeping it conservative because the players just don't know the offense very well, which is pretty understandable. I think it becomes less and less conservative as the season goes on and they get more familiarity with the offense.

You make too much sense. Don't get why anybody was thinking we were gonna run the WCO in all its glory week 1. Joe Montana said as much in an interview a week or so ago.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Ted Ginn's two TDs masked a Mike Singletary-esque approach to the game.

One game doesn't make a trend and maybe Harbaugh is taking a gradient approach to opening up the offense.

Tell you what though, I wasn't feeling good when Seattle pulled to within two points and it was up to the offense to execute a time killing drive.

There's nothing wrong with a run-first offense or being conservative.

The problem with the Singletary offense was that it didn't feel like it had any kind of plan or strategy... also... it was always the same dive or run off a Iupati-pull.

Harbaugh/Roman's offense failed to run very effectively... but you could tell that the offense is trying different things. I have the general sense that Harbaugh/Roman will get a better feel of our offense and how to exploit the defense.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Honestly, 98% of the complainers on the zone show me week in and week out that they have no real football knowledge and are only use to playing Madden (rookie skill setting of course) and think they are football gurus. The Seahawks are not as horrible as everyone makes them out to be, the team we are playing next week have just as many issues. The Cowboys have no offensive line, boo boo secondary, and sub-par running game. They play in NJ this week then have to fly back west next week. We get two back to back home games and plenty of time to prepare. I think we can beat them next week.
You are right, I guess you need to be a knowledgeable fan to think 209 yards of total offense with 124 passing yards at home against a bottom feeder is something to be excited about.
Share 49ersWebzone