Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I was really talking about Smith. You know that. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. That is as real as it gets.

Not always true, Steve Young is just one example, then there is Rich Gannon. Hell Rodgers sucked at first, go look at Joe Montanas numbers his first couple of years, look at Mannings rookie year, there are literally hundreds of examples that show that what you are saying is not true on a fundamental level. Another good one is Brett Favre, he was great for quite a few years, then he sucked last year. In the NFL things are always changing, does this mean Smith will? Who knows? We can only wait and see.

There are so many holes in your rebuttal that I could drive a hummer throug them. do you really want to do this?

Agree with Shaj. Young, Gannon, Montana, Manning, Farve et al. all have one thing that our starting QB does not. They all had/have at least one great season. They all had/have one very good season. They all have/had one good season.

Alex Smith has never had a good season. Period. His seasons fall into the range of STINK, STANK and STUNK.

Anyone who believes that Harbaugh is going to transform this kid into something he's not and will never be (a winner) is smoking some serious Ganhj.

so they also have all had a coach who doesnt give the gameplan ahead of time an were in an ooffense where you were allowed to audible

oh ya there coach aslo made in game adjustments

Great QBs transcend their circumstances. Bad QBs become victims of their circumstances and make everyone around them look bad. Bad QBs with a great attitude and work ethic are even worse, because they get kept while the belief lingers that something around them is what is broken.
Seattle did with a 7-9 record. Sooooooooo what's??????????
Eviscerate the proliferate!

Harsh, although this may prove to be a necessity.
Something tells me that for the first time in a long time, Frank Gore won't have to listen to the opposing defenses call out our play every down, there will actually be a gameplan that adjusts and responds in real time, the team will actually be prepared for an east coast game and Harbaugh won't nurse a 3 point lead to a 17 point loss.
I was really talking about Smith. You know that. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. That is as real as it gets.

Not always true, Steve Young is just one example, then there is Rich Gannon. Hell Rodgers sucked at first, go look at Joe Montanas numbers his first couple of years, look at Mannings rookie year, there are literally hundreds of examples that show that what you are saying is not true on a fundamental level. Another good one is Brett Favre, he was great for quite a few years, then he sucked last year. In the NFL things are always changing, does this mean Smith will? Who knows? We can only wait and see.

There are so many holes in your rebuttal that I could drive a hummer throug them. do you really want to do this?

Agree with Shaj. Young, Gannon, Montana, Manning, Farve et al. all have one thing that our starting QB does not. They all had/have at least one great season. They all had/have one very good season. They all have/had one good season.

Alex Smith has never had a good season. Period. His seasons fall into the range of STINK, STANK and STUNK.

Anyone who believes that Harbaugh is going to transform this kid into something he's not and will never be (a winner) is smoking some serious Ganhj.

so they also have all had a coach who doesnt give the gameplan ahead of time an were in an ooffense where you were allowed to audible

Great QBs transcend their circumstances. Bad QBs become victims of their circumstances and make everyone around them look bad. Bad QBs with a great attitude and work ethic are even worse, because they get kept while the belief lingers that something around them is what is broken.

Remember when Jeff Garcia -- A VERY GOOD 4-time Pro Bowl QB -- went from throwing 4000+ yards and 30+ TDs in back to back years in San Francisco to playing HORRIBLE elsewhere in Cleveland and Detroit? Getting BENCHED. In Cleveand he threw only 10 TD and 9 INTs with a 76.7 rating. In Detroit.. 3 TD with 6 INTs and a 65.1 rating before he was done.

Garcia on his own could do nothing to overcome the horrible circumstances. There was nothing he could do.

Then.. all of a sudden, he's an awesome quarterback again when he goes to Philadelphia, and then STILL played well in Tampa at the age of 37 and 38, making the Pro Bowl and getting them into the playoffs. Smith has never had a team like Garcia had around him when he was successful. Smith has had teams comparable to the Cleveland and Detroit teams Garcia was on.

This isn't to say Smith is good, because he's done poorly.. BUT.. Considering Garcia as an example, one can easily see why there is at least a legitimate reason to believe that Smith COULD be an unfortunate victim of circumstance. Can you concede that it is within the realm of possibility?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for redmanc07.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Remember when Jeff Garcia -- A VERY GOOD 4-time Pro Bowl QB -- went from throwing 4000+ yards and 30+ TDs in back to back years in San Francisco to playing HORRIBLE elsewhere in Cleveland and Detroit? Getting BENCHED. In Cleveand he threw only 10 TD and 9 INTs with a 76.7 rating. In Detroit.. 3 TD with 6 INTs and a 65.1 rating before he was done.

Garcia on his own could do nothing to overcome the horrible circumstances. There was nothing he could do.

Then.. all of a sudden, he's an awesome quarterback again when he goes to Philadelphia, and then STILL played well in Tampa at the age of 37 and 38, making the Pro Bowl and getting them into the playoffs. Smith has never had a team like Garcia had around him when he was successful. Smith has had teams comparable to the Cleveland and Detroit teams Garcia was on.

This isn't to say Smith is good, because he's done poorly.. BUT.. Considering Garcia as an example, one can easily see why there is at least a legitimate reason to believe that Smith COULD be an unfortunate victim of circumstance. Can you concede that it is within the realm of possibility?

That is pretty spot on. For all we know Rodgers could be a nobody had he been drafted by the Raiders or even us.

so are you saying steve young i not a great qb because he couldnt oercome it in TB

hell even joe montana had a worse passer rating than alex in his season with the cheifs after posting a 108 in SF

perfect example is brett fare and matt cassel

cassel had a horrible year in his first year with cheifs they fire there coach and enter todd haley then he plays well

or how about when fare left the packers and played for the jets he had a horrible year 22 int that season everyone thought he was watched up then next season he lit it up and arguably had the best season of his career
Originally posted by redmanc07:

That is pretty spot on. For all we know Rodgers could be a nobody had he been drafted by the Raiders or even us.

I'm curious what some others have to say about this. I don't get where this idea comes from that a QB should be dominating season after season no matter what the circumstances..
I'm curious what some others have to say about this. I don't get where this idea comes from that a QB should be dominating season after season no matter what the circumstances..

We live in a world of what have you done for me nows.If you have a down yr then your on the downside of your career.

It seems to be either ignorance of team sports concepts or short sightedness. The examples you have given of QBs who failed on bad teams and succeeded on good teams are legitimate. Jim Plunkett is my personal favorite as I was a Stanford fan and then NE...until they couldn't build a line that would keep Plunkett upright. So, was he a bad QB? He led the Raiders to two super bowls late in his career and with his third team.

We have had thread after thread discussing the shortcomings of the team from ownership to coaches to players. When the OLine was almost decent there were no receivers, when they had a couple of decent receivers the OLine was a sieve. Or the D was calling out the plays before the OLine was ready to snap the ball. These are real problems but those who would blame a single player like to use terms like "excuse" to ridicule posters who dare to defend Smith.

There will always be people who want to hate players. It's easy to come up with reasons to hate but the main reason is our team is not winning so someone has to take the blame...and it can't just be the coaches because these fans undervalue coaching and organizational integrity. It's too complicated to analyze the coaching and team as a whole, so just hate the QB.

Of course, Smith has lacked consistency and been underwhelming over the years so he makes an easy target. If he succeeds this year I will be curious to see how many of his detractors will man up and admit they were wrong. If he isn't with the team next year I will have to admit my disappointment and the errors of my thinking.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM ]

grantcohn Grant Cohn

New blog post: #49ers have an 89.1% chance to make the playoffs, and a 5.1% chance to win the Super Bowl http://bit.ly/nzEguo

I am convinced that this dude is a webzone member.
Originally posted by verb1der:
grantcohn Grant Cohn

New blog post: #49ers have an 89.1% chance to make the playoffs, and a 5.1% chance to win the Super Bowl http://bit.ly/nzEguo

I am convinced that this dude is a webzone member.
wonder what the odds are for a niners superbowl? may be worth it to drop a bill on a longshot bet.
Share 49ersWebzone