LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Bryant Young is eligible for HOF next year, does he make it in?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
My comparison was more about players who play in the trenches than it was specific position. It is incredibly difficult for players who play on the line, on either side, to get into the HOF. The Hall is incredibly biased toward glamor positions.

I mean, is it just me who thinks dudes who rank 3rd and 4th all-time in sacks should have been first or second ballot HOFers?

No, I get what you are saying. You're right, his position is not a glamorous position. And I also don't get why Doleman and Greene were not 1st or 2nd ballet HOF's.
I think BY deserves to go in, but it may be awhile.
he's not gettin in, at least right away, a good comparison is cortez kennedy, won def player of the year on a 2-14 team and still isnt in
there are so many other players at his position that are waiting to get in, i doubt he will ever make it in. Being a great stand up guy alone doesn't get you a ticket into the HOF. He was a great player & it showed beyond his stats. the sad truth is stats are a huge part of the deal & he doesn't have the stats.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
My comparison was more about players who play in the trenches than it was specific position. It is incredibly difficult for players who play on the line, on either side, to get into the HOF. The Hall is incredibly biased toward glamor positions.

I mean, is it just me who thinks dudes who rank 3rd and 4th all-time in sacks should have been first or second ballot HOFers?

You're spot on with your argument. There has to be a better way in regards to getting players into the Hall. The bias against guys in the trenches is significant.
I hope he gets in and & I wouldn't be surprised if he got in right away. He was the best player on a really good defense and also was on a superbowl winning team. He was twice the player than John Randle was. Randle had issues against the run even during his prime. Maybe Young should have painted his face or something.
The Hall of Fame team is a little light on Defensive Tackles, and that certainly hurts Bryant Young's chances. When you look at recent DTs that are inducted to the Hall like John Randle, you see Young's stats don't necessarily match up. Several players in the Hall that are listed as DTs played much of their years as DEs and as a result their stats really get distorted. BY was a true and proper DT. When comparing him to some other guys that played in different eras his numbers hold up. With that said guys like Randy White (played in the 70s) and Buck Buchanon (60s)... these guys didn't get in until the '94 and '90 respectively. If Young does get in... it will likely be at least another decade before he does. I always liked him... as did I think most people and that should help his chances. That and most teams really schemed around him.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Warren Sapp is also eligible next year. I think he will get in first or second ballot. How does Bryant Young stack up to Warren? Surprisingly, they have a similar # of sacks. Warren's NFL stats below.

7× Pro Bowl selection (1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003)
4× First-team All-Pro selection (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)
2× Second-team All-Pro selection (1997, 1998)
Super Bowl champion (XXXVII)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
1999 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

Tackles 569
Sacks 96.5
Interceptions 4
Forced Fumbles 8
If his peers from other teams were allowed to vote, he'd be in. However, he didn't get enough press from the national media so, unfortunately, I don't think he gets in.
overall career sapp's was better
Originally posted by Shaj:
Warren Sapp is also eligible next year. I think he will get in first or second ballot. How does Bryant Young stack up to Warren? Surprisingly, they have a similar # of sacks. Warren's NFL stats below.

Tackles 569
Sacks 96.5
Interceptions 4
Forced Fumbles 8

throw laroi glover in there too, 6 pro bowls, 3 all pros, 83.5 sacks

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by crabman82:

Tackles 569
Sacks 96.5
Interceptions 4
Forced Fumbles 8

I don't like the way he spells his first name, so he's pretty much not in my analysis.
he deserves it. we should start a BY campaign to get him in.

I think its safe to say that for anyone who was a 49ers fan in the 90s and early 2000's has BY as one of their favorite all-time players.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Justin Smith disagrees.

What's horribly unfortunate is that Young didn't play one more year. We all know he had it in him. His final season he was fantastic. Him + Smith would have been pure hell for other teams.

We likely would not have signed Smith if it weren't for Young retiring. We signed him to replace him.

Also, he's not eligible 'til 2013, not next year. And if o-linemen were voting, he'd be a slam dunk 1st ballot. So many linemen said he was the best they ever went against.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Close. Not first ballot, hope he gets the nod though.

Yep, now if he doesn't make the niners HOF, I will be first in line to punch Jed in the face.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Tackles 569
Sacks 96.5
Interceptions 4
Forced Fumbles 8

Both Glover and Young were better overall players than Sapp or Randle.

Sapp and Randle were one-dimensional sack artists. People always talk about how critically important it is to "stop the run", yet to get in the Hall, all you have to do is win a popularity contest. To top it all off, most sports writers are pretty stupid to begin with. I think Hall-of-Fame votes should come from current/former coaches and players. Who would know better than them? Sports writers? What a joke.
Share 49ersWebzone