LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Bryant Young is eligible for HOF next year, does he make it in?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When he and Stubbie were playing together, they were unstoppable. Of course Young was the better player which elevated Stubblefields play.
No. BY was awesome, but no. There are guys equal if not better than BY that's not in there. Even if Gore...

...B*tch slap the Seahawks and remembers the name of that dude to play him in a movie. Mmmm...you know 'Boobie'

(Derek Luke)
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Chris Doleman and Kevin Greene aren't in the HOF, and they rank 4th and 3rd all-time in sacks, respectively. They've both been eligible for years now. Looking purely from a statistical and honors standpoint, both are more deserving than BY. I just don't think Young has the recognition or numbers to get in.

You are comparing 2 guys who played DE or OLB. They were pass rushers. Their job was to get to the QB. BY played DT. DT's aren't considered pass rushers don't put up big time sack numbers. His sack numbers are impressive for a DT. Especially considering how often he faced double teams. A DT has 2 jobs. take care of the run up the middle and on passing plays, drive the center and guards backwards. This puts the DE's in position to sack or pressure the QB.
[ Edited by Hollywood on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:35 AM ]
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Sports writers should not be allowed to vote anyone into the HOF. Steve Hartmen is a sports writer radio talk show host ( Loose Cannons) He Loves his Dodgers and trashes on the S.F Giants every chance he gets. He is a stat whore. He has a say on who gets into the HOF and who does not. The man is like so many in this room, very bias and does not even know how to spell the word impartial. The system is a joke. If it was correct then John Taylor would be in the HOF right next to Lynn Swan. Actually John Taylor's numbers are better then Swans. I don't think either deserve to be in the HALL but if Lynn is in then John should be also right? Anyways the system is a joke.

I agree its a joke how they vote people in and how they have a limited amount they let it!
Eventually, but probably not on the first ballot.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
He should but he won't.
Yeah, it comes down to a checklist:

Sacks-89.5
Superbowl title: Check
4 time Probowler and All Pro.
NFL Comeback Player of the Year

Plus he was just a super guy in the community.

John Randle made it as a first ballot if I'm not mistaken. I think Young gets in within 10 years or so.
Originally posted by Amir:
He should but he won't.

agreed
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
John Madden used to rave about Bryant Young when we played on national TV broadcasts. Not as much as he did Brett Favre, but still a lot.
Around 1998, he said if he could take only one player from the 49ers to play for his team, at the current stage of their careers, he would take Bryant Young.

If they're not going to let Haley in because of bad character, then they should give Bryant Young MORE merit because of good character. There have been few DT's like him to ever play.
I remember him always raving about Young and "Stubbafield" all the time. I don't remember him talking about Young much after Stubblefield left.
He is a superbowl champ, outstanding citizen of the USA. He will get in.

Originally posted by rigs49:
He is a superbowl champ, outstanding citizen of the USA. He will get in.

Sarcasm?
I fervently wish. But no.
Not right now maybe in a few years. Cris Carter can't even get in
Originally posted by Hollywood:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Chris Doleman and Kevin Greene aren't in the HOF, and they rank 4th and 3rd all-time in sacks, respectively. They've both been eligible for years now. Looking purely from a statistical and honors standpoint, both are more deserving than BY. I just don't think Young has the recognition or numbers to get in.

You are comparing 2 guys who played DE or OLB. They were pass rushers. Their job was to get to the QB. BY played DT. DT's aren't considered pass rushers don't put up big time sack numbers. His sack numbers are impressive for a DT. Especially considering how often he faced double teams. A DT has 2 jobs. take care of the run up the middle and on passing plays, drive the center and guards backwards. This puts the DE's in position to sack or pressure the QB.

My comparison was more about players who play in the trenches than it was specific position. It is incredibly difficult for players who play on the line, on either side, to get into the HOF. The Hall is incredibly biased toward glamor positions.

I mean, is it just me who thinks dudes who rank 3rd and 4th all-time in sacks should have been first or second ballot HOFers?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
No
Share 49ersWebzone