LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Harbaugh and Baalke may have just realized something big.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 2cents:
After these four preseason games their 1st and 2nd string QBs have significant release issues that are not going to go away.
Alex and Colin have long slow wind ups that telegraph their throws. The quick release It's an underrated skill for sure. Cant imagine why but, JH may have overlooked the significance of that when drafting Kap. This is one skill Tolzen has in spades. He can fire it to a guy with bodies closing in on him. I cant tell you how huge that is. Those miliseconds make all the difference in the world in the nfl. Hate to say it but Tolzien looks waaay more ready to start and NFL game then Kap.

He IS way more NFL ready than Kaep. I don't see how that's even a discussion. That's a slam dunk. When Tolzien learns the playbook because of course he has to do that first this is the depth chart.

1) Alex Smith.
2) Scott Tolzien.
3) Colin Kaeperinck.
This is very Reminiscent of what Mike McCarthy did during Aaron Rogers' first year going in as a starter (into 2008), Mike stocked two rookies behind Rogers as a contingency (Brian Brohm; 2nd round pick of 2008, and Matt Flynn; 7th round pick of 2008), encase 3 years on the bench made no difference to Rogers' progress as a full-season starter/franchise player.

Brian Brohm isn't even in the NFL anymore, and Matt Flynn (7th rounder, which almost went un-drafted) might be the hottest QB commodity on the unrestricted-FA market going into 2012.

Harbaugh is following the Bill Walsh 'mantra', you can never have enough young QB prospects on your roster, and you never put your eggs all into one basket.
harbaugh went after him before he signed with the chargers, so this thread can be locked now
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
harbaugh went after him before he signed with the chargers, so this thread can be locked now

We just have to wait till next Sunday. The preseason panty wedgies will go away after that.
After these four preseason games their 1st and 2nd string QBs have significant release issues that are not going to go away.
Alex and Colin have long slow wind ups that telegraph their throws. The quick release It's an underrated skill for sure. Cant imagine why but, JH may have overlooked the significance of that when drafting Kap. This is one skill Tolzen has in spades. He can fire it to a guy with bodies closing in on him. I cant tell you how huge that is. Those miliseconds make all the difference in the world in the nfl. Hate to say it but Tolzien looks waaay more ready to start and NFL game then Kap.
So there is a football league that is superior to the NFL where the QB throwing motion isn't underrated? Please tell me the universe where that is,,,
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He IS way more NFL ready than Kaep. I don't see how that's even a discussion. That's a slam dunk. When Tolzien learns the playbook because of course he has to do that first this is the depth chart.

1) Alex Smith.
2) Scott Tolzien.
3) Colin Kaeperinck.
+1. It's interesting though that Tolzien has the mental aspects while Kap has the physical tools. Maybe Harbaugh is onto something here with a little bit of competitive learning for the rookie...yup. I think so. Also, like you said Tolzien's better and we can call him Tolken or Tolz so he's nickname ready, which is always nice.
Originally posted by Hacksaw:
Harbaugh studied countless hours of QB film and trade up to draft Kap, Tolzien went undrafted even after the 49er QB coach's Bro had him in a simular system. Not so fast to #2. That would make the FO look real bad.

Come on man you know that it's not an exact science picking a QB , only when live bullets are fired then you know . JH saw something he liked about this kid picked him up ! More ready than KAP. To play now
Originally posted by Walsh:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

1) Alex Smith.
2) Scott Tolzien.
3) Colin Kaeperinck.
+1. It's interesting though that Tolzien has the mental aspects while Kap has the physical tools. Maybe Harbaugh is onto something here with a little bit of competitive learning for the rookie...yup. I think so. Also, like you said Tolzien's better and we can call him Tolken or Tolz so he's nickname ready, which is always nice.

He is further along in a pro style offense.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Mods- lock thread
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by King49er:
Alex Smith is leading us to the Super Bowl this year

Pass that crack that you are smoking this way!

Yep I was totally being serious..

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Thomas Clayton
Kory Sheets
Nate Davis

Scott Tolzien...COME ON DOWN!

Don't forget Shaun Hill
You can tell us. We're niner fans.
So our head coach, a veteran NFL QB and proven QB developer, "just realized" the significance of a QB's release speed . . . and that's why we signed Tolzien?

I think Thursday night he "just realized" that Tolzien is a better option than McCown. It's that simple.
Look, you all know what we had last yr for QBs. When we signed kap we got immediately better than we had been. Then we got McCown and we got better again. Honestly, i hadn't seen Tolzien until SD game, and thot , damn that kid is schidt hot good, and can he ever whistle that missle. Question: When you got an OL that doesn't or can't pass block, how do you coach around that? Answer: Joe Namath, dan marino, or, (insert your choice here)...but one thing the SD game proved was that Tolzien can get it gone and quick. THAT is one way to coach around a "no pass blocking OL". Ask me, i think it was a dam smart move. And look at our QB situation NOW as compared to last yr. Guys we are lite yrs better than one yr ago, especially with a real pro football coach. Say all you want, Tolzien was a terrific addition, and i bet he sees some action the yr, especially against teams (Saints, anyone?) that tees off on QBs.

We're not there yet, but finally , we are going in right direction. Wouldn't it be funny if kap and alex both learned something from a guy who didn't even get drafted?
Couple of things will need to happen for Tolzien to be at all effective on the Niners:

• He'll have to learn to read non-vanilla defenses. I don't think he was really tested in the preseason games. And his Big Ten legacy isn't all that useful, since he wasn't going up against the kind of creative defensive minds he'll encounter in the NFL.
  • The Niners receivers need to get some separation from defenders. Doesn't do any good throwing to a spot if a defender is there first and looking for the ball... (this will determine how successful any of the QBs will be this season).
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone