There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaugh and Baalke may have just realized something big.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Word is they really wanted him to slide to the practice squad because they only carried two QB's.

Thats true but if they saw as much untapped potential as our fans do then they would have never made that gamble.

Developing untapped potential in a 3rd QB isn't likely to be high on the priority list for a legit playoff contender, at least not high enough a priority to burn a roster spot on.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Developing untapped potential in a 3rd QB isn't likely to be high on the priority list for a legit playoff contender, at least not high enough a priority to burn a roster spot on.

See my response in the Scott Tolzien is a niner thread. Like I told Zillabeast, agree to disagree. Heres to hoping JH can make something of this kid...
See my response in the Scott Tolzien is a niner thread. Like I told Zillabeast, agree to disagree. Heres to hoping JH can make something of this kid...

Or I can post it for ya. It's kind of lazy for me to ask you to do that lol.

You guys are making good points, but also the way the NFL is these days with injuries. Volek is getting up there in age and a guy like Norv also is smart enough to develop a guy behind Rivers in the case that somewhere in the future Rivers ever actually got injured bad enough. In that case your young guy comes in makes a good impression and you've got some excellent trade bait. You look at the Falcons with what they did with Matt Schuab. What the packers did with Matt Hasselbeck. What the Eagles did with Kevin Kolb. What the packers now could potentially do with Matt Flynn should he continue to impress.
Or what if it's a Carson Plamer sitiuation and the guy never comes back the same from the injury. You have a replacement already in place. If Norv saw something in this kid, I don't think for a second, that he would have been cut or they would have taken the gamble of him clearing waivers.

One thing about those situations Sonoco, all those teams had pro bowl quarterbacks and playoff teams at the time so in some situations you may be right, but sometimes it's the complete opposite.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Sep 4, 2011 at 4:25 PM ]
I want week one to be here already, please. Enough is enough.
Or I can post it for ya. It's kind of lazy for me to ask you to do that lol.

You guys are making good points, but also the way the NFL is these days with injuries. Volek is getting up there in age and a guy like Norv also is smart enough to develop a guy behind Rivers in the case that somewhere in the future Rivers ever actually got injured bad enough. In that case your young guy comes in makes a good impression and you've got some excellent trade bait. You look at the Falcons with what they did with Matt Schuab. What the packers did with Matt Hasselbeck. What the Eagles did with Kevin Kolb. What the packers now could potentially do with Matt Flynn should he continue to impress.
Or what if it's a Carson Plamer sitiuation and the guy never comes back the same from the injury. You have a replacement already in place. If Norv saw something in this kid, I don't think for a second, that he would have been cut or they would have taken the gamble of him clearing waivers.

One thing about those situations Sonoco, all those teams had pro bowl quarterbacks and playoff teams at the time so in some situations you may be right, but sometimes it's the complete opposite.

Fair enough. I'm not in the camp that believes at this point that Tolzien will be a stud, but I believe with his WCO background that he'll be a better #2 option than Kaepernick and McCown sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by King49er:
Alex Smith is leading us to the Super Bowl this year

Pass that crack that you are smoking this way!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 2cents:
After these four preseason games their 1st and 2nd string QBs have significant release issues that are not going to go away.
Alex and Colin have long slow wind ups that telegraph their throws. The quick release It's an underrated skill for sure. Cant imagine why but, JH may have overlooked the significance of that when drafting Kap. This is one skill Tolzen has in spades. He can fire it to a guy with bodies closing in on him. I cant tell you how huge that is. Those miliseconds make all the difference in the world in the nfl. Hate to say it but Tolzien looks waaay more ready to start and NFL game then Kap.

You are probably too young to remember a guy named Dan Marino, Even though he was slow footed he fired the ball out so fast he was very hard to sack, Guys can look great in college but carve a couple tenths of a second off the time they have to get rid of the ball in the pros and they are in big trouble.
Originally posted by SanFranMan:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Will somebody shoot me right in the f**king face already?!

How about this?

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
I want week one to be here already, please. Enough is enough.

I agree, even the Alex Smith threads are better than the Kaeperpick and Toll-of-Fame threads.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SanFranMan:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Will somebody shoot me right in the f**king face already?!

How about this?

The look on the dude's face is priceless
Chargers backup QB Billy Volek is 35. They'll need to develop a new backup sooner or later - obviously they chose later.
lol, holy s**t: wow.
Harbaugh studied countless hours of QB film and trade up to draft Kap, Tolzien went undrafted even after the 49er QB coach's Bro had him in a simular system. Not so fast to #2. That would make the FO look real bad.
Only one of the QB's has a windup issue, butbothwere running vanilla offenses. Of the two, Smith got the ball out on time and fairly accurate. Some people chastised him for not throwing TD's, but those armchair QB's failed to realize that throwing for a TD did not seem to be the focus of Harbaugh's offense. Moving the damn ball is what it was all about, or are any of your forgetting what happened last year? Harbaugh has made it perfectly clear that he was not about to give away anything to anybody during the preseason. Same with his assistants.

Tolzien is easily the better second string QB because he was schooled in a WCO style offense; Kaepernick was not. Kaepernick's learning curve is going be considerable steeper than Tolzien's. Sure, he would be the one with windup issues, but go figure with him being tall and having long arms. That's just what he and the Niners have to deal with.

I read the part about Marino getting the ball out fast, even though he was not the most mobile of QB's. Quite true, but the Niners made him look quite ordinary on a couple of occassions and none more impressive than what they did to him during the Super Bowl. It still comes down to one basic issue, protection. Fast or slow, if you give the QB time to get the ball out, good things happen.

Now! Bring on the Seachickens!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home