LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 338 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
we may hold unto him until everything slows down then release him and grab him for the PS, really wouldn't surprise me at this point....and a rookie QB really isn't NFL ready...and why did SD let him go if he was so good?

And you, sir, get the gold star for the most intelligent post in the thread.
Very Solid Signing! This dude was whipping the ball around the crazy in the preseason. You never know where you're gonna find the next franchise QB. Just sayin'
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
cool. Practice squad?

No. When you claim a guy off waivers, he has to go onto the 53 man.

I am not sure about the rules, but I know he has to go on the 53-man roster.

Does this mean that he has stay on the 53-man roster?

I think that if we want to put him on the PS, we have to waive him, and he has to pass waivers before he can be put on the PS.

Is this correct?

Yeah, he has to be on the 53-man.

For now. I think he can be cut at any point. I know if a team signs someone off another teams practice squad then he has to be on the 53 man team.
Originally posted by susweel:
This move does nothing to strengthen the qb position right now.

Just more bad moves by a crappy front office.

You really wanted Peyton Manning, didn't you?
David carr worked out extremely well for us.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I would compare Tolzien and Kaerpernick like this:

Kaepernick
Chance of being an NFL caliber QB (solid back up or starter): 50%
Chance of being an NFL superstar QB: 25%

Tolzien
Chance of being an NFL caliber QB (solid back up or starter): 75%
Chance of being an NFL superstar QB: 10%

Now, those numbers are not rock solid statistics. In reality all those numbers should probably be much lower... I'm just using them to illustrate the difference between the two QBs. One is a "boom or bust" prospect and the other is a "pro ready" with "limited upside" prospect.

If I knew I'd have to start one of them this year I'd probably want it to be Tolzien. He looks way more comfortable right now. But I do think Kaepernick has more of a chance to be superstar player. And that's worth gambling on. Picking up Tolzien is just a way of hedging that bet.

I think Colin's # should be a lot higher for being an NFL caliber QB.

I also think you should split it into 3 categories

Colin:
chance of being a quality starter: 60%
chance of being a quality backup: 20% - I know it's weird that this # is lower but if he doesn't make it as a starter I think he's probably a total bust and out of the league
chance of being a star QB: 20%

Scott:
chance of being a quality starter: 20%
chance of being a quality backup: 70%
chance of being a star QB: 5%

Colin oozes with potential and just needs time to put it together mentally. Scott is more NFL ready but will never be a star quality player unless all the chips fall into place - supporting cast, perfect playcalling...etc.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Why is everyone saying Kap has a higher ceiling?

What about him says high ceiling? That he's 6'4 and more athletic? who gives a s**t! This new kid actually looks like a QUARTERBACK.

We all should know by now intangibles mean s**t.

Intangibles mean sh!t? So you're saying Kap will be better because his tangibles (height, speed and arm strengh) are better? You make no sense
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Mark Clayton just said he doesn get this move. He said we shoulda got a veteran to shore up the QB spot. He said in alex goes down, and we have to rely on 2 rookie QBs to win games, our next QB is going to be Andrew Luck.

So? When alex went down last year, we had to rely on s**tty david carr and mediocre troy, look at what's out there right now and tell me that the FA's would do better than a rookie..Maiocco threw down names like clemens and orlovsky(and the obvious mccown). Mccown looked ok in limited action against 3rd stringers, but didn't really pull a nate davis either.

The FA qb's that are out there are out there for a reason. I'd personally rather not WASTE a roster spot on guys who GM's in the entire league already know are busts(veteran busts though... ).We're rebuilding, might as well let harbaugh get his hands on as many rookies as he can to try to find the franchise QB we've been looking for for the past decade.

Put it this way, there are very few teams in the league that can say that if their #1 QB goes down, they'll still win games. A few powerhouses of course can still manage, like GB and pittsburgh, both who have an incredibly strong defense, run game, and decent backups.

Our stopgap is alex. Any other veterans are just bench warmers, whereas a rookie could potentially be a starter in the long run. If we have to rush one rookie in early, big deal all it is is an experience for them to learn from. Best way to learn is by dodging the real bullets.

I think Stoney was just delivering one football analyst's opinion. Not actually agreeing with him.

Most football analysts are not going to like this move because they see this as a super risky move, but it has been done before. The 2008 Packers had an unproven first year starter in Rodgers, and rookie Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn.

Harbaugh, who has the utmost confidence in his QB development skills, thinks the possible reward of having two young, promising rookies to develop is greater than the risk of having two QBs behind an unproven, possibly fragile starter. It may hurt us this year, but like you said, it could pay off big in 2012 and after.
MaioccoCSN: Like any time a player is claimed off waivers, 49ers must keep QB Scott Tolzien on their 53-man roster a minimum of 3 weeks.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
Intangibles mean sh!t? So you're saying Kap will be better because his tangibles (height, speed and arm strengh) are better? You make no sense

Reading comprehension, dude.

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
This reminds me of Green Bay's QB situation in 2008. Favre had "retired" and Rodgers was going to get his chance as the starting QB. They drafted Brian Brohm in the second round and also took Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm was suppose to be either the solid back up behind Rodgers or eventually supplant Rodgers if Rodgers were to struggle. Flynn outplayed Brohm and won the back up position behind Rodgers in the preseason. Packers went into that season with a promising, but unproven QB in Rodgers and two rookie QBs.

Presently, Rodgers is a superstar. Flynn is looking to be the 2012 version of Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel or Matt Schaub. Brohm is a back up QB in Buffalo.

I am not saying Alex Smith will prove critiques wrong and become a superstar or Tolzein will supplant Kaepernick and/or Kaepernick will be a bust (I don't wish that on him). I am just merely pointing out that our 2011 QB situation reminds me of the Packers 2008 QB situation (though can you blame me if I am ecstatic if our QB situation turns out like theirs?).

While most football analysts are scratching their heads by our move, I think when you have a supposed quarterback guru in Jim Harbaugh, you would want to bring in as many young QBs as possible to develop with the hopes that they can either step in if the current QB disappoints or if your current or another QB is successful, you can trade the promising young QB for high draft picks. It certainly has worked for Bill Belichick (and he could have two more in Hoyer and Mallett).

I hope our situation turns out to be closer to Green Bays than Arizonas.

Of course, of course.
This kid isn't getting going to the PS, he knows the system more than both Alex Smith & Colin Kaepernick.

Eric_Branch Eric Branch
Scott Tolzien starred in a WCO under brother of #49ers QBs coach, Geep Chryst. bit.ly/pHRQ5U
Originally posted by PTulini:
MaioccoCSN: Like any time a player is claimed off waivers, 49ers must keep QB Scott Tolzien on their 53-man roster a minimum of 3 weeks.

I did not know that. Good info.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Why is everyone saying Kap has a higher ceiling?

What about him says high ceiling? That he's 6'4 and more athletic? who gives a s**t! This new kid actually looks like a QUARTERBACK.

We all should know by now intangibles mean s**t.

so the fact that kap is the only player in the whole history of college football to throw for 10,000 yds and rush for 4,000 yds means nothing to you? thats not an indicator of someones potential at the next level? what they have accomplished in their football careers is what im basing my claims on. what are you basing your claims on? one preseason game?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
As Seattle proved last year, a rebuilding team can win this division. We were one game away from winning it last year and believe it or not, we got better.

Of course you realize that winning the division was about the worst thing Seattle could have done last year. Or any team in the NFC West. It basically ruined their draft (aside from the damage they did to themselves with some of their curious picks).
Share 49ersWebzone