LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I bet he and Culliver will have a fun first conversation. ST: I put it right past you several times, man. CC: Yeah, but I got that pick!
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
72.9 comp%
2459 yards
16/6. Td/int
165.9 rating

Love the comp %
JH is a bit of a gambler but not reckless. McGown went through TC and is a vet. Niners should bring him in as an assistant qb coach. He is at practice each day and could throw to receivers during warm-ups etc. If Alex got hurt they could sign McGown if neither of the other 2 qbs are ready. He could be mentoring the younger guys and be an insurance policy. I'm sure he would rather be coaching in the NFL (125K) with a possiblity of playing (800K) than coaching high school players in some small town for free. He didn't strike me as a guy who was ready to hang up his cleats just yet.
If any of you don't think this is a rebuilding year, you're kidding yourselves! I don't expect a playoff run this season. In fact, I think this offense will struggle until at lest mid-season. It will take time and patience.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Wow, this review -- soft arm, too small, throws sidearm -- was NOT the kid I saw in the SD pre-season game. AND clearly this was not what JH and Baalke saw either if they are putting him on the 53.
Originally posted by RaiderHater90:
I like it, but we really need a vet qb.

Why do we need a vet QB? If so which one? Everyone says this. But we already signed a stop gap veteran. Much as we hate to admit it Alex Smith is the vet QB on the roster. Who were we going to get, realisticly, that is better than that? Especially now. I mean who is out there to grab?
Who cares about strengthening our qb position this year. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Why are you all so concerned about the backup qb position? This guy might be good, the niners are taking a chance. Why are any of you complaining?
Originally posted by PTulini:
If any of you don't think this is a rebuilding year, you're kidding yourselves! I don't expect a playoff run this season. In fact, I think this offense will struggle until at lest mid-season. It will take time and patience.

As Seattle proved last year, a rebuilding team can win this division. We were one game away from winning it last year and believe it or not, we got better.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
anyone still think kap isnt the #2 qb?

Kaep is the number 2 because he knows the offense. But as far as future #1? I think they are both about even as far as future possibility. Both are projects, giving the edge to Tolzien due to experience in a pro-style and playing under center.

even? hardly even imo. the niners took kap in the top of the 2nd rd for a reason. because they really like his potential and upside.he is the only player in ncaa history to throw for 10,000 yds and rush for 4,000 yds. kap has that elite talent that you just dont see every day. tolzien may look more comfortable now, because he played under center in college. but make no mistake about it. kap has a much higher ceiling then tolzien.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
JH is a bit of a gambler but not reckless. McGown went through TC and is a vet. Niners should bring him in as an assistant qb coach. He is at practice each day and could throw to receivers during warm-ups etc. If Alex got hurt they could sign McGown if neither of the other 2 qbs are ready. He could be mentoring the younger guys and be an insurance policy. I'm sure he would rather be coaching in the NFL (125K) with a possiblity of playing (800K) than coaching high school players in some small town for free. He didn't strike me as a guy who was ready to hang up his cleats just yet.

Now that is an interesting idea - never heard of such a thing. But I do remember Steve DeBerg did something like this didn't he??

Originally posted by HearstFan:
Wow, this review -- soft arm, too small, throws sidearm -- was NOT the kid I saw in the SD pre-season game. AND clearly this was not what JH and Baalke saw either if they are putting him on the 53.</param>

I keep hearing that that scouting QBs is a crap shoot. Those are the same knocks against Flynn coming out of LSU, and folks will be swinging from his nuts in FA next spring
Originally posted by btthepunk:

As Seattle proved last year, a rebuilding team can win this division. We were one game away from winning it last year and believe it or not, we got better.

I agree, I'm just saying that I don't care how bad our QB situation looks right now. Tolzien is a winner. Harbaugh and Baalke are building for the future. If we win now, great. If not, then that's fine too.
Exactly. By signing a rookie free agent cut by another team, and having the other backup a rookie who is a developmental project, the Niners have conceded that A. Smith is the only option in 2011. If he falters, there is no real backup.

All of that being said, Tolzien is a nice looking rookie, so what the heck? The Niners, in their own best interest, should lose out and draft a real QB with a real future in Andrew Luck. Of course, even Baalke would find a way to screw that up.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smashmouth51:

That is the craziest idea yet and I'm pretty sure McCown would have submit retirement papers or something to take a coaching position. I'd rather not lose draft picks from Goddell trying to beat the system for McCown of all people.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I dont want to win the division at 7-9. I want to build a powerhouse and a superbowl winner.
Share 49ersWebzone