LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

What area are you most concerned about during the 2011 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What area are you most concerned about during the 2011 season?

Offensive line always comes first
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
OL. without an OL it doesn't matter who's the QB.

Amen
Get rid of Staley and get Leonard Davis!!
Alex getting hurt imo. So I guess that ties in with the OL.
O-line
In addition to the choices in this poll, I'm concerned about Soap at NT and whoever starts opposite Rogers at CB.
The DBs have the least talent of any unit on the team, so long term they worry me more. The OLine will probably be fine once they gain chemistry and they have depth with Boone, Snyder/Wragge and Kilgore.

The team still needs to upgrade DBs, WRs, QB (backup), and NT. Other than that they have enough talent to be an elite team. Smith will prosper in Harbaugh's system, Gore and VD are among the best at their positions, and the DLine looks like it has some depth (except at NT). LBs are going to be the strength of the D.
^^ dunno why so many poeple are down on our DB

carlos rogers is very close to a shutdown CB

whitner is agreat cover SS

terrel brown ha slapses in coverage but is a playmaker and will get a couple of int

spencer is a very solid #2 CB

culliver ay be an up and coming CB and also is a playmaker and with his size he can be a great cover corner

if spencer is healthy rogers and spencer will both do a great job in shutting down the pass especially with our improved pass rush
Most concern, injuries to the already rickety offensive line. It would also domino into getting the qb killed. It would tank any success we might have this season. Like limping into the playoff with McCow at qb.
Where to put the new Lombardi Trophy!

Chemistry in all three phases with the most worrisome unit being the o-line, which always takes the longest to gel. If the o-line doesn't come together we're nowhere.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
^^ dunno why so many poeple are down on our DB

carlos rogers is very close to a shutdown CB

whitner is agreat cover SS

terrel brown ha slapses in coverage but is a playmaker and will get a couple of int

spencer is a very solid #2 CB

culliver ay be an up and coming CB and also is a playmaker and with his size he can be a great cover corner

if spencer is healthy rogers and spencer will both do a great job in shutting down the pass especially with our improved pass rush

New to team: Rogers, Whitner, Culliver. I can't give them credit for being upgrades until at least one game is in the books

Also, only Rogers is considered a very good DB and he drops everything he touches. Can the backfield be good? I really hope so, and I agree that an improved pass rush will help. Scheme will help and I think Fangio brought in guys who fit his plans, which is also good.

But comparing the athleticism of the DBs to the LBs doesn't lead one to being overly optimistic.

Agree with SonocoNinerFan regarding chemistry. The line may be very good by midseason but it could also just not jell at all and may need to be reworked next offseason.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:58 AM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Gore getting hurt
I am optimistic that the O will at least be servicable, due to the fact that JH is our coach and that we seemed to have such a tight lid on our scheme durring the preseason. Maybe it's more wishful thinking, but one can hope.
Easily the OL.

We now have 2 very good running backs. If we can establish a running game the passing game will open up big-time. We have Vernon, Walker as TE and Crabby & Edwards as receivers - very tough to plan for if the OL does its job. I really liked the short passes in the last game that kept moving the chains. Hopefully JH will have a lot of surprises in his game plan.
Share 49ersWebzone